AMR's next-generation business class seat...

It looks like UA is paying a price for their fully full flat, and eliminating seats in the business class cabin.

The 744 cabin allegedly goes from 73 seats to 52, the 777 fleet drops from 42 & 49 seats down to 40, and the 763 will only have 26 seats.

So, UA will have nicer seats, and fewer to sell. Guess that spells the end of easy upgrades...

What's the upgrade plan on the 767-200 series? Will it remain a 3 class cabin for the JFK-LAX/SFO routes?

USAirways will also be rolling out lie-flat business class seats in their 10 767-200ERs. They look similar to AA's, but with portable AV units.

Installation begins in the Fall. No word on if/when they'll upgrade the A330 cabins, which are at most 7 years old and pretty decent (just not lie flat).

While UA will have less premium seats, the total seats on the 777 and 747 will increase (more economy). Somehow they are going to do this and keep Economy Plus. Wonder how total revenue will work out.

Perhaps UAL doesn't worry about revenue. They appear to focus on load factor alone..

What's the upgrade plan on the 767-200 series? Will it remain a 3 class cabin for the JFK-LAX/SFO routes?
USAirways will also be rolling out lie-flat business class seats in their 10 767-200ERs. They look similar to AA's, but with portable AV units.

Installation begins in the Fall. No word on if/when they'll upgrade the A330 cabins, which are at most 7 years old and pretty decent (just not lie flat).

Rumour has it that AA will soon install the old 767-323 lie-flat horizontal First Class seats (coffins) on the 767-223s for the transcons. They were removed from the 763s in 2003 when those planes were converted from 3 class to 2 class. An announcement was made a while back in a press release but it was short on details about the seats themselves. But sitting in a hangar somewhere are lots and lots of nice, low mileage F seats that will fit perfectly.

Rumour has it that AA will soon install the old 767-323 lie-flat horizontal First Class seats (coffins) on the 767-223s for the transcons. They were removed from the 763s in 2003 when those planes were converted from 3 class to 2 class. An announcement was made a while back in a press release but it was short on details about the seats themselves. But sitting in a hangar somewhere are lots and lots of nice, low mileage F seats that will fit perfectly.
I presume you mean these coffins would replace the existing F lazy-boys since there can't possibly be enough to replace all the F/J seats in the 767-200 fleet, right?

FWIW,

Here's the link to the new business class product that UAL is rolling out this fall. The seat is a true 180 degree lie flat seat that provides 6'4" of room. From what I've heard they're quite nice and the iPod dock along with the 15+ inch flat screen has won rave reviews from those that have tested it.

Cheers,
Z B)

http://suitedreams.united.com/

I presume you mean these coffins would replace the existing F lazy-boys since there can't possibly be enough to replace all the F/J seats in the 767-200 fleet, right?

Yes - the coffins will replace the F seats; AA has also announced a change to the existing J seats but I don't think it involves the new lie-flat J seats. Something about "updated" seats, whatever that is. There will be 10F/30J plus ?Y.

It looks like UA is paying a price for their fully full flat, and eliminating seats in the business class cabin.

The 744 cabin allegedly goes from 73 seats to 52, the 777 fleet drops from 42 & 49 seats down to 40, and the 763 will only have 26 seats.

So, UA will have nicer seats, and fewer to sell. Guess that spells the end of easy upgrades...
They (UA) are also are dropping the number of FC seats. There is I am sure a fine line, on how far you can go, or offer on a BC product without devaluing your FC product.

Had the chance myself to evaluate the new J seats on the 763 on my round trip to ZRH over the last couple of weeks. To sum it up: very satisfied, a great improvement over the old seats.

At first it might seem a little cramped, but actually there is enough room. The electronic adjustments are good, very easy to adjust the seat in to any position desired. The flat feature was excellent, I'm 6.1" and I was able to strech out completely and sleep on my side. Very comfortable. The tray tables are good, and you can pull up the seat up close for a very comfortable dining position.

The IFE system is good, just the screen could be larger. Also the system seems to lock up and need a "reboot" for some people, but mine worked flawlessly. The movie selection was ok, but could be better. The mobile nature of the player was great. Another feature that I was disappointed not to find was that the "Live info" channel is not available on the new in-demand players(the one with the world map, actual speed and altitude of the acft).

Also, a big thumbs-up for the FA's on both flights. Experienced some of the best and friendliest service as on any flight.

Back