AMR's next-generation business class seat...

Is this the first with the 2 additional BC seats and the new airbags?

Yuppers, I talked to the FO who ferry'ed the airplane from AFW to DFW Saturday morning. He said the plane looked good, the AVOD was very impressive but basically brings us up on par with others that already have AVOD in service. I was disappointed to hear that they kept the same seat covers as on the 767, so now the first class is in blue, the business class is grey, and coach is blue. He said the airbags were interesting in the bulkhead seats (hopefully a feature that will never be needed on one of our airplanes.)

United's new seat appear to have the same dimensions as Virgin's, which has not been popular with passengers. Too hard; too narrow; claustrophobic and confining when in "bed" mode.

Virgin's seats, however, are in a herringbone pattern in the cabin, which should make them seem less confining than United's more traditional longitudinal pattern.

The video screens in United's configuration seem decent, but they are so close together on the forward shell of the seat that there will be no privacy in viewing.

I am assuming that there is a privacy screen but it is impossible to see how much privacy it really does afford.

Also, participants on another forum have raised the concern that the new seats will make it next to impossible for passengers seated at the window to visit the lavatory without waking up the aisle passenger, when in bed mode. This is a common concern with most of these lie-flat, or quasi-lie-flat seats, but there isn't even a handhold or railing to grab onto as you climb over the aisle passenger.

Not impressed. But it is somewhat of an improvement over United's overall dreary Business Class product.

The video screens in United's configuration seem decent, but they are so close together on the forward shell of the seat that there will be no privacy in viewing.

I am assuming that there is a privacy screen but it is impossible to see how much privacy it really does afford.

Also, participants on another forum have raised the concern that the new seats will make it next to impossible for passengers seated at the window to visit the lavatory without waking up the aisle passenger, when in bed mode. This is a common concern with most of these lie-flat, or quasi-lie-flat seats, but there isn't even a handhold or railing to grab onto as you climb over the aisle passenger.

Not impressed. But it is somewhat of an improvement over United's overall dreary Business Class product.
[/quote]

lol - please post the site to your new first and business class product, straaight (not a picture but a site) I would love to see the overview... have a great day straaight.

lol - please pst the dite to your new first and business class product, straaight (not a picture but a site) I would love to see the overview... have a great day straaight.

Try google. I'm not doing your homework for you.

saw the AA website....I have to say when the seat went to "lie flat" it was not flat at all - it was angled - flat yes - but not 180 thats for sure ... nice though..

You're mistaken. The AA Biz seat reclines to 180 degrees alright, it's just not parallel to the floor; instead, the brain trust at AA choose "lie flat at an angle wedgie seats" instead of the state of the art.

The new UA seats are very nice looking and will eat AA's lunch once introduced.

You're mistaken. The AA Biz seat reclines to 180 degrees alright, it's just not parallel to the floor; instead, the brain trust at AA choose "lie flat at an angle wedgie seats" instead of the state of the art.

I just wonder who gave these seats final approval and why it was so considering they recline at an odd angle and jam your legs up under the magazine tray? Do you suppose they will be promoted? Huge bonus?

I just wonder who gave these seats final approval and why it was so considering they recline at an odd angle and jam your legs up under the magazine tray? Do you suppose they will be promoted? Huge bonus?

I agree. AA's seat is not optimal either, for sure.

US airlines always seem to make poor decisions on seats, even when the Asian airlines have already had superior seats for years. You would think they would use the Asian example, but I guess it all comes down to money.

I questioned the non-parallel when they first brought the product out, and was told that it wouldn't be a big deal because the 767 flies at a slightly nose-up attitide...

The real reason for it was seat pitch. To offer fully 90* flat would have required removing a row of seats from the J cabin, which killed it right then and there. The other option would have been to reduce pitch, which I am not in favor of either.

I questioned the non-parallel when they first brought the product out, and was told that it wouldn't be a big deal because the 767 flies at a slightly nose-up attitide...

True, but I think the incline is more steep than the nose-up attitude.

The real reason for it was seat pitch. To offer fully 90* flat would have required removing a row of seats from the J cabin, which killed it right then and there. The other option would have been to reduce pitch, which I am not in favor of either.

Or remove the first two rows of coach, which would yield enough room to make them horizontal. But that would cost AA a dear 14 coach seats, and we all know that increased seating density is the path to financial salvation. B)

Back