An Old (New) question.

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I retired in 2004, almost 14 years ago(with 17 years of unbroken service) as a FSC, with a pure Defined benefit pension. There were younger guys(some who were 14 years younger than I, yet with the same amount of OCC and Company seniority, who quite possibly are still 'plugging away' today.

Q. If such a person were to retire in 2017, What type of TWU pension is that person eligible for.

(Yes, this question was answered a somewhat long time ago, but I'll be dammed if I remember the answer today)

Thanx (in advance) !

I retired in 2004, almost 14 years ago(with 17 years of unbroken service) as a FSC, with a pure Defined benefit pension. There were younger guys(some who were 14 years younger than I, yet with the same amount of OCC and Company seniority, who quite possibly are still 'plugging away' today.

Q. If such a person were to retire in 2017, What type of TWU pension is that person eligible for.

(Yes, this question was answered a somewhat long time ago, but I'll be dammed if I remember the answer today)

Thanx (in advance) !

That younger guy would have accrued pension money till 2012, at that point, all AAs pensions were frozen. Just a weak 401K match after that of 5.5%.

Thanx (in advance) !

Archie that’s hardly any service to AA. I have to commend you though, you are astute enough to flock between large organized employers so you can dip your beek into multiple pension and retirement offerings. Maybe you will work for the MBTA or MassDOT next.

Josh

Thanx (in advance) !
Bear, if I may, at what age did you retire from AA? Did you fully retire or just leave AA to another job or interest that pays you? What is your defined contribution payment after 17 years unbroken? Just curious because I like hearing of successful retirement stories. Congrats and enjoy it.

That younger guy would have accrued pension money till 2012, at that point, all AAs pensions were frozen. Just a weak 401K match after that of 5.5%.

That 5.5% match is better than what most companies give. We only get a 4% match.

It could all change tomorrow and be negative like we saw in 2007/2008, but my 401K is up ~14% YOY so I don't know if I'd complain too much about that vs. a traditional pension right now.

That 5.5% match is better than what most companies give. We only get a 4% match.

It could all change tomorrow and be negative like we saw in 2007/2008, but my 401K is up ~14% YOY so I don't know if I'd complain too much about that vs. a traditional pension right now.

We wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't complain. Besides, you know how it works with the airlines. If one company has a better benefit for a particular work group, that's who we compare ourselves to.

Bear, if I may, at what age did you retire from AA? Did you fully retire or just leave AA to another job or interest that pays you? What is your defined contribution payment after 17 years unbroken? Just curious because I like hearing of successful retirement stories. Congrats and enjoy it.

Actually swamt, not as much as I COULD'VE made. (Just $700. a month) Had I worked a 'ton' of CS's (Change of Shift's), meaning working extra STRAIGHT TIME hours, it could've been over 1G a month.

You probably had a F Stroke around the Bush/Cheney years of 2007, when your 401K, became a '101 K ' !!

Archie that’s hardly any service to AA. I have to commend you though, you are astute enough to flock between large organized employers so you can dip your beek into multiple pension and retirement offerings. Maybe you will work for the MBTA or MassDOT next.

Josh

Naw Josh, the MBTA is to much of a 'bother' now, at my age. Work Comp is the Ultimate, especially here in NH, where you Don't Ever have to ' $ettle '. Even in this shite Conservative state, the WC MINIMUM will pay out $280.00 a week. That's over $1200.00 a month (Paid WEEKLY), which is an additional $ 15 G's a year ! (Come to think of it, I'm ' OVERDUE ' ) !!

Naw Josh, the MBTA is to much of a 'bother' now, at my age. Work Comp is the Ultimate, especially here in NH, where you Don't Ever have to ' $ettle '. Even in this shite Conservative state, the WC MINIMUM will pay out $280.00 a week. That's over $1200.00 a month (Paid WEEKLY), which is an additional $ 15 G's a year ! (Come to think of it, I'm ' OVERDUE ' ) !!

What’s so Ultimate about it Archie? $280/week is less than $1200/mo.

What’s so great about being paid weekly? Usually that’s typical in low wage, high turnover type jobs. If you can manage your cash flow you can coexist getting paid less frequently or when your clients do so.

Josh

Bears why do you in NH? Plenty of nice spots in Newton, Wellesley and Brookline.

Josh

You probably had a F Stroke around the Bush/Cheney years of 2007, when your 401K, became a '101 K ' !!

Yeah, it definitely sucked for a couple months, but I was decades away from retiring and just stopped looking. It eventually recovered its value, and will be more likely to pay out than what I'll see in social security plus my AA pension.

Bears why do you in NH? Plenty of nice spots in Newton, Wellesley and Brookline.

Josh

Believe me Josh, I KNOW your questions are sincere and (actually) legitimate,...AND I do get 'carried away' with pontificating on occasion.(Blushing) !!!
I'm in an unusual position Josh, meaning, between SS, AA, a small TWU $$ supplement, AMTRAK, good running vehicles 'PAID for' (1 sporty Honda that I drive like Andretti ) and a Toyota 4x4 truck (Toyota's LAST FOREVER), a Medicare supplement that pays for everything(if there IS any bills, I never pay them anyway)(I'm not bragging Josh, honest, just being NHBB's TRUTHFUL), In VERY GOOD Health, a YOUNG '72', a Great son who works for 'DEL-DUH' (NW plus DL for over 30 years) (Even MORE free flying for the 'old man')and as I said yesterday, I'm ALWAYS on the LOOKOUT for another $$$ Opportunity !!!!
So Josh, for (exact) reasons why I continue to 'hang around', ( most ) southern NH, at this point in time, I really don't know,......seriously.
About my only Regret ? I should NOT have retired from AMTRAK !! I LOVED that friggin' Job.
BUT, 'guess what' ? I'm looking STRONGLY at returning to AMTRAK, believe it or not. When I retired, Amtrak said (on Paper) that I was eligible for re-hire !!

DA DAH.

Peace Bro' !!

Believe me Josh, I KNOW your questions are sincere and (actually) legitimate,...AND I do get 'carried away' with pontificating on occasion.(Blushing) !!!
I'm in an unusual position Josh, meaning, between SS, AA, a small TWU $$ supplement, AMTRAK, good running vehicles 'PAID for' (1 sporty Honda that I drive like Andretti ) and a Toyota 4x4 truck (Toyota's LAST FOREVER), a Medicare supplement that pays for everything(if there IS any bills, I never pay them anyway)(I'm not bragging Josh, honest, just being NHBB's TRUTHFUL), In VERY GOOD Health, a YOUNG '72', a Great son who works for 'DEL-DUH' (NW plus DL for over 30 years) (Even MORE free flying for the 'old man')and as I said yesterday, I'm ALWAYS on the LOOKOUT for another $$$ Opportunity !!!!
So Josh, for (exact) reasons why I continue to 'hang around', ( most ) southern NH, at this point in time, I really don't know,......seriously.
About my only Regret ? I should NOT have retired from AMTRAK !! I LOVED that friggin' Job.
BUT, 'guess what' ? I'm looking STRONGLY at returning to AMTRAK, believe it or not. When I retired, Amtrak said (on Paper) that I was eligible for re-hire !!

DA DAH.

Peace Bro' !!

Fair enough Bears.

I have to say I admire you buying and holding onto paid for reliable cars, it’s outrageous how many people these days rationalize $600/mo car payments and leases.

Josh