An Open Letter To All United Pilots

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
An Open Letter to All United Pilots.

I'm a dinosaur to you. I started new hire school at United on August 8, 1966 and flew my last trip on December 14, 2000. During my 34+ years I was a loyal ALPA member from day one. I worked under countless United presidents and CEOs and many fine MEC chairmen. I supported every labor issue as it came along, once getting stranded for a week in Honolulu (tough duty) when the IAM went out on one of their many strikes. I walked the picket line when the Eastern employees went out, I walked with the Continental pilots, I walked with our own AFA when they were picketing informationally and more recently when the American flight attendants walked. I walked the picket line with our IAM countless times and they, and our flight attendants, walked with us in '85. Do you think that ANY group would walk for you today?

In 1985 my wife, a UAL F/A, and I put our jobs on the line, not for ourselves, but for the future of your profession. I say not for ourselves because, our then president Dick Ferris, only wanted to change the pay and work rules of the future pilots, not for us. We could have sold you down the river, a river that you seem so willing to sell us down today. When we went on strike, for you, in 1985 we had a 50-50 chance of never flying for United again but we went out knowing that the profession that we loved would be worthless without unity, unity throughout the entire workforce at UAL. We couldn't take the easy way out and let management divide us, the greater good was too important.

Today that unity seems to be a thing of the past. The contract that you just voted for is the most shortsighted, selfish contract that I can imagine. It's not only a contract that sells out your fellow active employees, it sells out all of us who came before you. Those of us who sacrificed so that you could aspire to the wonderful profession that I left, proudly, in 2000.

I wore my ALPA pin with pride for 38 years, both as an active employee and as a retiree, but now I'll wear my pin upside down out of shame for what my union has become. I'll still wear it because I want people to know that I was once a member of a proud association of professionals, but I'll wear it upside down because I have no respect for the current members.

Captain W. Thomas (Tommy) Zander

Well said, Captain. Much my feelings toward most of the senior f/as at AA. I've never heard one of them say that giving up furlough pay was wrong (which was only done to "punish" the former TWA f/as). I was just "collateral damage" because I happened to be furloughed at the same time.

Now I have to listen to the b*tching in STL about the fact that the Seniority Integration Agreement appears to give the former TWA f/as their DOH seniority if they are recalled to the STL base.

If Dick Ferris had taken the company into CH11 in 1985, he would have gotten everything he wanted. All of the unions have been temporarily defanged.

737nCH11 said:
If Dick Ferris had taken the company into CH11 in 1985, he would have gotten everything he wanted. All of the unions have been temporarily defanged.
[post="238789"][/post]​

dick ferris could not have taken the company into chapter 11 in 1985 as the balance sheet would not have allowed for it

you only show your lack of knowledge when you excuse current behaviour
with obfuscation

You are a dinosaur. Times change. The power rest with the judge, not the unions. Some people might actually need this job. If people go on strike or slow down and put the airline out of business what good does that do any of us? Maybe we should save the fight for a better day when the odds are better.

Tommy,

As an ALPA member, I am absolutely disgusted with this POS TA. I am ashamed of ALPA for looking down their noses at anyone other than an active pilot. This whole mess is a disgrace. As I start thinking about retirement, I see my union as having let countless loyal members down. Sadly, ALPA just proved that there is no brotherhood, and it is nothing more than a business. I truely would like to see ALPA canned and have an in house union.

FRATS, and regards from Denver

PS.....you'll see me on the line NOT wearing a pin. I'm not a scab, never crossed any line, never would, and would throw eggs at a strikebreaker. I am just so sickened by ALPA saying F(oxtrot) U(niform) to anyone over 60 or furloughed. It is a professional organization first...........union very last

ua767fo said:
Tommy,

As an ALPA member, I am absolutely disgusted with this POS TA. I am ashamed of ALPA for looking down their noses at anyone other than an active pilot. This whole mess is a disgrace. As I start thinking about retirement, I see my union as having let countless loyal members down. Sadly, ALPA just proved that there is no brotherhood, and it is nothing more than a business. I truely would like to see ALPA canned and have an in house union.

FRATS, and regards from Denver

PS.....you'll see me on the line NOT wearing a pin. I'm not a scab, never crossed any line, never would, and would throw eggs at a strikebreaker. I am just so sickened by ALPA saying F(oxtrot) U(niform) to anyone over 60 or furloughed. It is a professional organization first...........union very last
[post="238886"][/post]​

ua767fo :up: ,

It is unfortunate that we did not kick the unions out under the ESOP and create our own 'Owners Union'. If we had, I doubt we would all be in this mire of backbiting one another for a piece of the 'Cheese'.
We are our own worst enemy!!!

During the IAM/AMFA issue I contacted ALPA asking if they might be interested in representing the UAL M&R. I'm sure you know the answer I received.

JMHO...

Take Care Sir,
B) UAL_TECH

UAL_TECH said:
ua767fo :up: ,

It is unfortunate that we did not kick the unions out under the ESOP and create our own 'Owners Union'. If we had, I doubt we would all be in this mire of backbiting one another for a piece of the 'Cheese'.
We are our own worst enemy!!!

During the IAM/AMFA issue I contacted ALPA asking if they might be interested in representing the UAL M&R. I'm sure you know the answer I received.

JMHO...

Take Care Sir,
B) UAL_TECH
[post="238968"][/post]​
I'm sure you probably got this response: "Sacralage, nous ne mêlons pas avec les paysans".....Hey...where's the army dude...FISHBAIT...

I would like to know if Pilot Dinosaur voted for the Blue Skies agreement that screwed the furloughees of that time and all future generations of United pilots? I wonder if Pilot Dinosaur voted yes on the contract that screwed the Tracy Aces (and all future generations of United pilots to this day) out of their rightful pay rates for the 747 for the benefit of the F/Os and other pilots at United at the time?

Lastly, I wonder if Pilot Dinosaur has ever walked a mile in the shoes of an MEC member at a bankrupt airline?

Olyinaz

Tommy.

Unfortunately the greedy and grasping ways of
ALPA and the United Pilots goes back further than this. Back to at least the summer of 2000 in our most recent history.

We called it the "Summer Of Hell".

Our Frequent Fliers called it "Quits" from United Airlines.

What did ALPA and the United Pilots called it? "The best damn contract they ever stole out the company and their fellow workers?".

History does repeat itself.

Enjoy your retirement. Hope I get to someday.

Man Ronin has an obsession, could almost call him a staker. Guess I better get to the range and get practiced up on some close in combat with my Bren 10. Better remember that self defense is legal in the state of Colorado with the Right to Carry Laws dude. Don't sneak up behind me or you could find yourself in a real tough spot!

Dollar to a donut..."Oly"..in az was all for choking the Golden Goose to the max a couple of years ago......right along there with dino..

ua767fo said:
  It is a professional organization first...........union very last
[post="238886"][/post]​
You got the "union very last" part right. As for professional, I don't know. They want to be that way and certainly there are many professional men and women who work as ALPA represented. But, unions in this country are a business, always have been and always will. There job is to keep the membership rolls up. The more members, the more money the bring in. Retirees don't do a thing to bring in money to the union, so they will suffer. If the union can keep dues paying members on the property regardless of their pay, then they have succeded in keeping the money stream flowing to the union. It's just business.

olyinaz said:
I would like to know if Pilot Dinosaur voted for the Blue Skies agreement that screwed the furloughees of that time and all future generations of United pilots? I wonder if Pilot Dinosaur voted yes on the contract that screwed the Tracy Aces (and all future generations of United pilots to this day) out of their rightful pay rates for the 747 for the benefit of the F/Os and other pilots at United at the time?

Lastly, I wonder if Pilot Dinosaur has ever walked a mile in the shoes of an MEC member at a bankrupt airline?

Olyinaz
[post="239259"][/post]​

Answers are probably YES, YES, NO :down:

Back