Another City Bites The Dust :(

gso2pit

Advanced
Mar 2, 2004
Another fine group of employees ends their time with US this weekend as the GSO ramp leaves service of the company this Sunday. If you are in GSO or passing through, be sure to stop and say a kind word or two that would certainly be appreciated. These guys truly run one of the safest operations in the system and will be missed. Most are going to CLT/DCA, a few are staying w/ the vendor, and the rest are hanging it up. I can remember on many occasions where these guys would step it up and do things that are outside of their job description in irregular ops or extremely busy times and noone at the station would bat an eye(pulling a jetway, assisting with a um, or helping w/ boarding. The typical GSO attitude is to work together to get the a/c out on time, keep the pax happy, and worry about the labor issues, who was supposed to do what, bitchiness, attitudes, bad state of the company who is doing what, etc later. True professionals to the end.

Cheers,
GSO

my best to each and everyone of you all fine fellow co workers! good luck moving on! ABE has a last date of June 5th and then Piedmont is taking over on June 6th. good luck.

As much as I hate to single out any of the "outstations" for kudos - they all have done exceptional jobs over the years - I'll make an exception here since I was based in GSO for nearly half my career.

The staff in GSO has always gone above and beyond. I'll never forget the night long ago when they turned my 727 in 7 minutes so we could beat the curfew in DCA, and that's with the APU inop.

To those leaving, may the future bring only the best. To those transferring, I look forward to seeing you in your next station.

Jim

Sad to see this happen to the GSO staff. I was only there for 12 weeks. I then transferred to CLT so I didn't have the pleasure of getting to know all the FS folks since I was Customer Service. But it didn't take long to realize these folks were a full class act.

One day after my shift I found out I had a flat tire on my truck. I was struggling trying to get the wheel off since it was rusted to the hub. With limited tools, struggling was a understatement. These guys could see the employee lot from where they were and came out to assist. Realizing what the problem was they went back and borrowed tools and some lubricant from the mechanics, (also a great bunch of people) and helped me get that tire changed. All this in the blazing heat that day. I'll never forget that act of kindness and the "glad to help" attitude.

One thing is for sure, you can be proud to say you worked in GSO. That says it all.

I wish you all the best.

You know, I was not part of th PI side of the merg., but I have to say this. I have not seen a station work any slicker that GSO. The boarding agents, mech., the rampers, all made the flight outbound happened. My hat is off to them. What I most remember though is the push backs. GSO had those electric tugs. Back in the day, those push backs were as smooth as slick. No jaring or jerking, just real easy. Only in GSO.
I wish all in GSO safe passage.

speedbird86 said:
One thing is for sure, you can be proud to say you worked in GSO. That says it all.

I wish you all the best.
[post="269403"][/post]​
I want to thank all of those in GSO on the ramp for 20 years of safe flying into and out of the best station in the system. In all the years I can not think of one time I’ve ever been upset with any one who works there. Until recently I had never met any of those on the ramp. That of course was my loss. I do hope you have from time to time enjoyed the jelly beans

There is one family (both work in GSO) who just moved here from PIT, only to find out that his job was being outsourced. These two and many other friends who have worked there and helped me my entire flying career are the reason I get so angry with this inept, incompetent management team.

<rant> This management team has impacted more lives than we will ever know. The ignorance and arrogance has destroyed a great airline and many of the most loyal employees any company could have ever had. And don’t give me the “you don’t understand†or “we tried the best we could with what we hadâ€. It wasn’t good enough and I’m not even convinced you (CCY) even cared about anything other than a nice big fat exit bonus. I don’t want to hear any more about doing what you had to do to survive. BS. The problem is YOUR DID NOTHING. You failed and it IS your fault. How do you sleep at night? <rant off>

GSO will not be the same with out you there. May god bless you and keep you safe and happy in all you do in the future. The following link was sent to me last week and when I saw it I thought of all the wonderful people in GSO. This is for you……

Imagine

It just goes to show how much the Company cares about what the folks in GSO have done over the years for the good of the operation. This same situation is taking place at most of the small stations around the System. The small out stations used team effort to get the job done, and they are the first ones to be discarded like trash by the Company. :down:

I wanted to add my thanks to the many folks at GSO who made working there fun.

They routinely dealt with as many as 15 diversions at times from CLT when weather happened. This was with about 5 ramp and 4 customer service folks. I remember in early 90's when Hurricane Hugo was headed to CLT and they moved all the RON aircraft to GSO, only to have the storm turn towards GSO and they moved the aircraft to BWI and this group handled it with ease.

GSO should have been the "model" for team building. The ramp folks were respected and it showed in their work. You did not hear "it's not my job".

Best of luck to a great group of folks.