Another F/a Furloughs Commences January 15, 2004

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
Just got confirmation that management has made the decision to furlough 552 flight attendants to commence January 15, 2004.

Translates to 200 actives and 352 already out on furlough, their status will change. No displacements for February, TDY for now. Seniority class 3/21/99. No Pittsburgh Based f/as will be furloughed.

NO VOLUNTARY FURLOUGH IS BEING OFFERED BY THIS MANAGEMENT!

Details will be out on E-line.

AFA GRIEVANCE TO BE FILED ASAP ALONG WTIH THE CHANGE IN ACARS for pay purposes for flight crews. Management states that the "pay" starts when there is aircraft wheel movement, starting 1/1/04. ALPA to file MEC grievance as well.

NO MORE CONCESSIONS FROM OUR GROUP, MANAGEMENT JUST KEEPS ON STEALING ANYWAY.

PITbull said:
Just got confirmation that management has made the decision to furlough 552 flight attendants to commence January 15, 2004.

Translates to 200 actives and 352 already out on furlough, their status will change. No displacements for February, TDY for now. Seniority class 3/21/99. No Pittsburgh Based f/as will be furloughed.
That's too bad. Always unpleasant news for after the holidays. We'll see how this relates to the "we're gonna add 60" Airbii by 2005.

I am in the middle of a trip and just checked my mail to find out about the furlough. This place just disgusts me.

If these 2 rumors are true...A STATE OF WAR NOW BEGINS BETWEEN ALL USAIRWAYS EMPLOYEES AND MANAGEMENT....DAVE MUST GO!!!!

Rumors? Oh no...I wish. I am in CLT and checked my mail in CATCREW. There was the message....Happy Holidays from USAirways & and PS your fired.

Since Jan 2002, we have gone from approx 10,300 fa/s to 4,650 f/as left on Jan. 15, 2004. THERE WILL BE NO MORE FROM OUR GROUP TO GIVE.

Concession stand is closed!

this isnt news, afa has known for sometime now the company was crunching numbers and prob would have to do this .

WRONG. AFA was told there maybe NO furloghs back in late October.

But, AFA could see that at the end of November, with 1800 reserves not breaking guarantee, and December NO ONE IS BREAKING GUARANTEE, we suspected. But, then mangement announced these 60 airplanes, so we thought we would have a shot at keeping the jobs, BUT OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING ELSE IS PLANNED.

THEY SAW WHAT THE TIME BALANCE RESERVE SYSTEM BROUGHT THEM, AND THEY SIEZED MORE JOBS! They won't even factor the cost savings in for our group. THEY JUST WANT MORE AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE, endless bucket of goodies for management.

They owe us another VOLUNTARY furlough, AND THEY WON'T DO IT!

We gave them the "furlough language" in summer 2002, and they said they would offer a vol. furlough for every Invol. furlough that was decided. we've had an attrition rate this entire year AND WE SHOULD NOT BE FURLOUGHING THIS NUMBER. So, its a further reduction.

MANANGMENT ARE LIARS!

No more, we are done!

Flyonthewall,

I see you are lurking...have anything to say publically on this board???? Any excuses?????

PITbull said:

Translates to 200 actives and 352 already out on furlough, their status will change.

<snip>
NO VOLUNTARY FURLOUGH IS BEING OFFERED BY THIS MANAGEMENT!
I am very sorry to hear of this for the people affected.

It is discouraging. Another slap in the face to the employees. Another violation of contractural language. It is no wonder that anyone with any sense has come to the realization that these scoundrels cannot be taken at their word, and even their signature on a contract is worthless.

We have a Chairman with no airline experience, an out of control Harvard Boys Club in the Palace, wreaking havoc and destroying the careers and livelihoods of thousands of good people. I am convinced that they do not give a damn about the employees, passengers, and legacy of this airline. In my opinion, they are opportunistic and have taken unfair advantage of some great employees. I'm saddened to witness the destruction of this franchise and ashamed at the what our product has been reduced to. The most junior employees on the property are destroying this company and those of us that have spent our careers here are paying for the consequences.

To those of you receiving the furlough... don't look back. Move on to other career choices and forget this laughingstock of an airline. It will never ever be the career that it once was. There is a real world away from the crazy topsy turvy world of US Airways. If you are currently on furlough, try to move on emotionally and find a job in another field, don't depend on a recall.

To those of you still "on the property"... prepare, prepare, prepare. Make the emotional divorce and realize this company is doomed with the current "mismanagement" crew, and they aren't likely to leave until liquidation. Face the reality of the situation and realize we've been screwed, its time to prepare for the inevitable.

For those of you on the outside that love to consider yourself self-appointed airline experts, you would be well served to remember the humanity involved here. The airline life is filled with instability, nomadic lifestyles, commuting, irregular sleep patterns, stress, and uncertainity. Yes, we chose this job... my point is that it is a job, and a lifestyle, that those on the outside think they may understand, but it is my opinion, they do not. You see only a tiny part of the picture.

The airline business is NOT like your business, the job is 24/7, 365 days a year, and some work rules have to be in place to avoid chaos. Until you've been a part of it, you will NEVER understand it. The same applies to employees in different areas of the company. I hate reading the posts by employees, advocating eliminating "this person's job" or criticizing departments they have no knowledge of the rules and policies. I call this the "farm out everyone else's job except mine syndrome", and its nauseating. Until you've walked the walk, and done the job, you should recognize you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in most circumstances.

Sad to say, "divide and conquer" is effective, relatively easy to instigate, and tough to overcome. As a long time reader of this board, I have witnessed the psychological tactics and game playing by certain posters, designed to further split the employees. When you step back and look at the patterns, the tactics being employed are fairly blatant.

To those that have the courage, the stamina, and the will to boldly stand up and defend their fellow workers, to fight for fairness in the workplace, to refuse to be seduced by management's siren call... thank you for your dedication and sacrifice.

I remember reading of a situation where a frequent poster on here (not a U employee, but dave's newest buddy and defender) bragged of his stealth and sneakiness in the workplace. This person slipped into anothers office, stole or copied documents, made anonymous phone calls, stabbed coworkers in the back, etc etc etc... and was proud of it. Yet this same poster has the audacity to personally attack a courageous defender of labor at U, and now considers himself part of the inner circle, and privy to "secrets" at U that he can't share with the common folk. Don't you realize how you are being used? Your need to feel "special" reminds me of a certain poster we all know. Get over yourself.

Good luck to the good people of this beleaugered airline, and industry. Never fall in love with something that can't love you back.

PITbull said:
Flyonthewall,

I see you are lurking...have anything to say publically on this board???? Any excuses?????
Yes...he has piney doing the dirty work now. lol

Dilligas said:
I remember reading of a situation where a frequent poster on here (not a U employee, but dave's newest buddy and defender) bragged of his stealth and sneakiness in the workplace. This person slipped into anothers office, stole or copied documents, made anonymous phone calls, stabbed coworkers in the back, etc etc etc... and was proud of it. Yet this same poster has the audacity to personally attack a courageous defender of labor at U, and now considers himself part of the inner circle, and privy to "secrets" at U that he can't share with the common folk. Don't you realize how you are being used? Your need to feel "special" reminds me of a certain poster we all know. Get over yourself.
EXCELLENT POST!

YES, I pointed this out where I quote you here. I was burned at the stake for doing so. I salute you for reminding everyone of these facts I pointed long ago only to be blown off. Gee, it's hard to change ones colors isn't it.

Back