Another F/a Furloughs Commences January 15, 2004

Pitbull Im not holding my breathe with the cwa. Their group has zero pension benefits. Im not a Dave fan. Juniors have not saved my butt. I dont operate on emotion only the facts. I cant allow somoenes emtions or gossip to make me think . I can see past the smoke and mirrors and i can tell you i have not always been a dave cheerleader and in fact nor am i now. I see facts and i accept them for what they are. Im not relying on this union to stand up and win for me . Theres nothing a union can do but help protect the day to day problems of an employee and frankly isnt doing to well at that today . Im I happy with things that have happened NO!!!!!!!!!!! But im not gonna make things worse by inflaming attitudes of the great men and women who come to work day in and out by spreading hatred and gossip ! Its the facts that i rely on to make a thought or come to conclusion. I do not try to judge u for your eagerness or judgement. I would appreciate it if you would refrain from doing the same here. We both have a commonanlity here and we should do what we do best day in day out protectind lives! :up:

I never heard this part of the story...so 300 are returning, then 200 active and 352 already on leave to be furloughed.

Is this a net increase in "active FAs of 100 additional active Flight Attendants?

From AFA website:
>552 ADDITIONAL FURLOUGHS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 15, 2004

As a result of more than 300 flight attendants returning to active status from voluntary furlough on December 2, the company's staffing forecast reflects an overage of approximately 200 active flight attendants. As a result, the company will be furloughing 200 ACTIVE flight attendants effective January 15, 2004. Since furloughs must be processed in seniority order, the total number of flight attendants on the seniority list to be furloughed will be 552. This encompasses the 200 active flight attendants and an additional 352 flight attendants on a leave of absence (including voluntary furlough) within the seniority range. <

"Cause without a Contract YOU would be gone, looking from the outside, in. In addition, the employees of our group gave $116 million per year in cost savings and still counting along with 5,500 jobs TO SAVE THIS DAMN AIRLINE AND MAKE MULTI MILLIONAIRES OUT OF THIS MANAGEMENT "

The ALPA union did a pretty good job of making many millionaires before 9/11 in the form of the $1 million lump-sum retirement packages. Almost eveyone in management had their pensions terminated over a decade ago.

blueoceans said:
"Cause without a Contract YOU would be gone, looking from the outside, in. In addition, the employees of our group gave $116 million per year in cost savings and still counting along with 5,500 jobs TO SAVE THIS DAMN AIRLINE AND MAKE MULTI MILLIONAIRES OUT OF THIS MANAGEMENT "

The ALPA union did a pretty good job of making many millionaires before 9/11 in the form of the $1 million lump-sum retirement packages. Almost eveyone in management had their pensions terminated over a decade ago.
Well, let’s see. I have 18 years here as a pilot, and my group is the only one that has a terminated DB plan under the current debacle. We gave 60% of the total concessions, while our membership is comprised of a very small percentage, and we furloughed 1/3 of the pilots to boot.

I think it’s safe to say the pain has been spread around to all of the groups here. I wish I was 63, and got my lump sum…and that is sad to wish ones life away isn’t it?

Newsflash-The industry is more cutthroat, more fragile than ever during my 27 year career. We probably should consider that fact while evaluating what is happening here….

DJ US Airways To Lay Off 552 Flight Attendants >UAIR

PITTSBURGH (AP)--US Airways Group (UAIR) will lay off 552 flight attendants, most of them in Philadelphia, next month after hundreds of others returned from voluntary leave, which was intended to help the airline weather its spiraling finances and bankruptcy.

Company and union officials said the Arlington, Va.-based airline will lay off the flight attendants on Jan. 15 based on seniority.

The layoffs apparently mark the end of voluntary furloughs that the nation's seventh-largest airline offered its employees to stave off job cuts. Under the offer, veteran employees could go on leave to preserve a younger worker's job.

"The company is saying, now they have to crack heads. This is a way to eliminate more heads from the property," said Theodora "Teddy" Xidas, president of the Association of Flight Attendants Local 40 in Pittsburgh. "The company will not offer voluntary furloughs again."

US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said no further voluntary furloughs were planned. Kudwa said the layoffs were needed to "even out" the airline's active employees after 360 people returned from furloughs earlier this month.

Philadelphia will lose the most, 296, while 119 will be cut in Washington, D.C. Flight attendants in Boston, Charlotte, N.C., and New York's LaGuardia will also be cut.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

12-31-03 0542ET- - 05 42 AM EST 12-31-03

:(

Way to go PIT Local 40 President! Why stop there? We need to see if the local news wants to run a piece! The AFA offices are flooded with calls from senior F/A's wanting a Voluntary Furlough and save these JR people! Lets show how heartless and ruthless CCY really is! They wanted war....well I think they just declared it.

PineyBob said:
This way they get to save a few bucks, punish AFA local 40 for their activities, raise the spectre of liquidation only to return with a "We'll give you this if you give us that" offer. The additional furloughs announced now creates FUD in the ranks and further unlevels an already unlevel playing field.

Got to admire their cold calculating approach to this. Takes a pair of ballz that I don't have.
This all assumes they don't lose another legal battle over their fast and loose interpretation of the AFA contract.

Hi Everybody,

As a former F/A with US Airways I would like to say that I am sorry to hear that even more of my friends and former co-workers will be getting furloughed. I just want to say that when I jumped ship back in 1995 it was the hardest decision I had ever made at that point in my life. I had invested 8 years in the company and moved to a new city, left family and friends, etc..
Even back then the writing was on the wall for me.......I never really felt like the company ever had their act together. All the mergers handled so poorly, the clueless decisions by management (hot breakfast from PHL-PIT, MD-80, 3 FA's, block time 55 minutes). I could go on and on but I will spare everybody the walk down memory lane.
When I started to see all of the nonsense and dumb mistakes start repeating themselves over and over again I knew I needed to hit the road. The constant aircraft reconfigurations, marketing gimmicks, brand "re-launching", reinventing, pulling out of markets, rentering markets, grounding this fleet type, etc.., all for naught.
I remember how management said the 727 was so costly to operate......if we park them we will make money; that didn't work. We are going to sell all the 767s....ooops......never mind; they can stay. The new terminal in PIT is the future of the company.....really?
I have heard it all before and here it is, post chapter 11 and still clueless, with no light at the end of the tunnel.
It is frustrating for me now to watch my friends have to keep going through all of this, even after all of these years.
As scared as I was when I left the company I am glad I made the leap. It was a rough year or two but I settled into a good job and don't regret leaving. I remember the enormous relief I felt after turning in all keys, my wings, luggage. What took me for surprise though was the attitude that day in FA services....kind of like "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". After 8 years nobody could even muster a pat on the back or good luck.....oh well.
I remember walking outside the terminal, knowing I had given it a good shot and realizedI was ready to move on.
Evaluate your situation, and ask yourself if you want to invest any more time in the company. Have faith in yourselves and know you have a lot to offer the "outside world"! There is a life after that place, and I really mean that.
take care everybody, and peace.

US Air Ends Voluntary Furlough Program
Wednesday December 31, 3:37 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - US Airways (NasdaqNM:UAIR - News) has ended its voluntary furlough program for flight attendants and cut 200 employees to help clear space for more senior attendants coming back to work, the company and union officials said on Wednesday.
The airline also reclassified the furlough status of an additional 352 flight attendants from voluntarily to involuntary, diminishing their chances of returning to their jobs when their scheduled leave expires.

Most of those affected by the changes are based in Washington and Philadelphia, with others in Boston, Charlotte, North Carolina, and New York.

US Airways said the changes were needed to absorb returning workers and keep the airline's flight attendant count at about 5,400.

Fleazle said:
t I will spare everybody the walk down memory lane.
When I started to see all of the nonsense and dumb mistakes start repeating themselves over and over again I knew I needed to hit the road. The constant aircraft reconfigurations, marketing gimmicks, brand "re-launching", reinventing, pulling out of markets, rentering markets, grounding this fleet type, etc.., all for naught.
I remember how management said the 727 was so costly to operate......if we park them we will make money; that didn't work. We are going to sell all the 767s....ooops......never mind; they can stay.
as profectically mentioned in the quote above a HISTORY of repeated mistakes occurres. indicating that not only does the top need to go but those that continually make these decisions again and again.
bod=gone
35 vps=gone
is how i would start

:rolleyes:

Back