Another One Bites The Dust

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Just saw that Southeast Airlines ceased operations yesterday. I was sitting waiting for a US flight the other night in FLL, and a Southeast flight from ABE came in (one of their MD80's). For the heck of it, I decided to count deplaning customers. I counted over 150PAX that they had. I'm sure US could do something with a route such as ABE-FLL. Could this be in the cards with the new focus on P2P flying?

ISP,

Occasionally I'll see one of those blurbs about this or that airport reporting an increase in passengers year over year. ABE is one of those and Southeast is usually credited with being a significant part of the reason - low fares and all that.

Jim

Another reason the unions should fight fight fight, another reason it proves this isnt a usair problem, its industry wide.... and we have intelligent union heads calling for a strike!!!

And another reason that low pay does not equal success.....

Amazing isn't it? ATA has low pay and is in trouble. Southeast has low pay and ceased operations. Southwest is becoming the industry leader for high pay and keeps making profits. Go figure.

Jim

US will not see any benefit from the demise of Southeast, because US will do nothing to fill the void in service. A couple of years ago US ran ABE-MCO, with very good loads. DL also had their 737-200 Delta Express on the same route along with PA running ABE-SFD. Both DL and PA pulled out of the market leaving it all to US.....and guess what??? US abandoned the Non-Stop service a few months later. Then along came Southeast to take it all since no other Airline wanted to operate the route. I'm sure that AirTran or some other carrier will take our unwanted passengers to MCO and other Florida cities....

Good point Jim,

Great management is the key; however, we have to be around if we ever have a chance of experiencing that!

Good luck to us all, we can do it!

BoeingBoy said:
And another reason that low pay does not equal success.....

Amazing isn't it? ATA has low pay and is in trouble. Southeast has low pay and ceased operations. Southwest is becoming the industry leader for high pay and keeps making profits. Go figure.

Jim
[post="205333"][/post]​

CynicalResAgent said:
maybe we will see ABE to FLL? even saturday/sunday service would probably work well.
[post="205387"][/post]​

Just not ABE-TPA on Sundays. Chick-Filet is closed on Sundays and you can't get one at their chain there in the airport. :D

I love to see all of you assume that because there were a lot of people it must mean profit. The reality is that if they aren't willing to pay the fares that are required to be profitable then it's just not going to happen.

some of the stranded pax were saying yesterday hey just charge an extra 20 dollars for the fuel surcharge and we will still fly. i'm sure that usair could do abe-fll or tpa and make money doing that.

robbedagain said:
some of the stranded pax were saying yesterday hey just charge an extra 20 dollars for the fuel surcharge and we will still fly.
[post="205464"][/post]​

Sure they'll say that when they're at the airport and have bought their tickets already and have planned their whole vacation, and have just been told that "sorry, you can't go, your airline went out of business". But when they are planning that vacation, and the ticket is $20 higher, are they still going to buy it? There is a nice long thread in the AA forum about this.

Why Don't The Airlines Just Raise Fares?, Because, perhaps, it might not work?

Latest posts

Back