Another Vp

BoeingBoy said:
Bob,

Concessions may not be creative, but they can be effective if coupled with competent management.

Just a thought for you to consider.....

Between 2Q02 (pre-BK1 & the height of parity + 1) and 2Q04, labor cost per ASM dropped over 1.5 cents. If management had done nothing but transfer the labor savings to the bottom line, it would have been a saving of over $200 million in each of the last two quarters. That's about breakeven for the year. 1Q04 would have had slightly less savings, but still near $200 million. Now we're talking about a decent profit for the year. Provided by the employees of this company. In this environment of high fuel and low fares.

So what happened? The concessions were largely squandered and only management knows where. Our CASM is only slightly lower than it was in 2Q02. And instead of a tidy profit, here we are in BK2.

So when you say "You employees should have done this or that" remember that we employees have already provided the wherewithal to be profitable. The employees have not failed in meeting their responsibility, management has.

Jim
[post="198604"][/post]​

Jim,

A most excellent post. Cuts right thru the BS.

I eagerly await a factual response from the 'we must give management everything they want' crowd.

aafsc said:
When I worked in DFW, they had 1 supervisor for about every 4 gates. There were more supervisors than crew chiefs; I counted both lists. One good thing about Crandall was that when he was at AA he had minimum management.
[post="198700"][/post]​

Since DFW is gate manned, your statement is a mathematical impossibility....

1 supv per four gates = 0.25/gate
1 cc per gate = 1.0/gate

Last time I checked, 0.25 < 1.0....

---------------------------

Back to the original topic...

1) They need a lot of people in HR/Labor Relations right now because they're in effect renegotiating every contract simultaneously. Most airline HQ's are staffed to have one or two contracts in negotiation at once, and even there, the timelines are usually far less compressed than what you have going on at US right now.

2) When it comes to hiring consultants, it's kind of like a pickup game of basketball or softball... You pick people who you've played with or against, and who know what they're doing. You don't have to worry as much about investigating their background, you don't have to second guess whether or not they really have the breadth and depth of knowledge to deal intelligently with the plate of crap you're handing them. You also know you're more likely to get a more direct answer, and usually without the contingency BS most consultants give just to cover their a$$ if/when they screw up.

Your statement makes no sense.

McKeen, Hemenway and Cunningham are in the same negotiations at the same time, doing only one group. Even Glass sits in on occasion.

Keep trying.

I think they gaveHemenway the VP title so it'll look good on his resume. You know, its is kinda like thanks for sticking around and we know we won't have to pay you the big bucks for very long...... :blink:

CynicalResAgent said:
I think it would be funny if everyone reported Glass to the ethics hotline (aka turn in your neighbor hotline)
[post="198847"][/post]​

The problem is the ehtics hotline and Glass' home phoneline are the same........ :(
I can hear it now............."Hello ethics hotline Glass speaking"

Latest posts

Back