Arlen Specter Wants Answers

Frontier69

Aug 27, 2002
Arlen Specter has made inquiry with FAA current Administrator regarding PHL noise abatements, and ATC concerns. It is a remote possibility he will pursue Congressional investigation into a remedy for the chronic delays in and out of PHL. It sounds like PHL could be another candidate for slot control to alleviate the problem. If this happens, Tempe wont have to think about any future expansion plans from PHL. :blink:

This is what happens when you piss off a senior senator. I for one hope he nails their collective ballz to the wall. Keep screwing customers and employees and sometimes that Karma comes back to you from unforeseen places. Go Arlen GO!

I'm confused.

You always tout yourself as "employee friendly", always looking out for the employees, so are you happy that US may have to reduce capacity at PHL and thus potentially reduce employee headcount?

Maybe you are happy that PHL flyers would lose some frequency/ nonstop destinations?

Maybe (my guess) is that you are just happy that the current mgmt team might get screwed? If this were implemented, the mgmt you love to hate would potentially be a lot less affected than the hard working local employees.

Just askin'.....

This is not about Piney Bob or anyone else on these boards, nor will we allow it to go in that direction.

This is about Spector's desire to investigate the FAA. Keep on that topic.

I would solely blame US Airways on the PHL problems. FAA air traffic and the City of Philadelphia should shoulder equally in the blame.

I would solely blame US Airways on the PHL problems. FAA air traffic and the City of Philadelphia should shoulder equally in the blame.
Sorry...I ment to say, "I wouldn't solely blame US Airways on the PHL problems.

I think you all have this wrong. I have heard Parker and Kirby on multiple earnings calls say that they WANT PHL to be controlled and capped like LGA, EWR, and JFK.

Think about it for a minute. US Airways will get a majority of the slots. Southwest will be halted from growing at such a significant rate. Congestion will ease which will improve US's reputation, lower its costs when congestion gets bad and delays/cancels flights, and they can simply consolidate turboprop and CRJ flying to a certain degree to allow for more international expansion.

Caps at PHL would be GOOD....no GREAT for US. Parker and Kirby want it. It's not Spector trying to screw over US.

I think you all have this wrong. I have heard Parker and Kirby on multiple earnings calls say that they WANT PHL to be controlled and capped like LGA, EWR, and JFK.

Think about it for a minute. US Airways will get a majority of the slots. Southwest will be halted from growing at such a significant rate. Congestion will ease which will improve US's reputation, lower its costs when congestion gets bad and delays/cancels flights, and they can simply consolidate turboprop and CRJ flying to a certain degree to allow for more international expansion.

Caps at PHL would be GOOD....no GREAT for US. Parker and Kirby want it. It's not Spector trying to screw over US.
They need to cut some of that 50 seat RJ flying out of PHL and that might solve some of it right there. I seriously think we need more 190's and possibly 195's.

I'm confused.

You always tout yourself as "employee friendly", always looking out for the employees, so are you happy that US may have to reduce capacity at PHL and thus potentially reduce employee headcount?

Maybe you are happy that PHL flyers would lose some frequency/ nonstop destinations?

Maybe (my guess) is that you are just happy that the current mgmt team might get screwed? If this were implemented, the mgmt you love to hate would potentially be a lot less affected than the hard working local employees.

Just askin'.....

Who says US has to reduce capacity. They can fly fewer flts with larger aircraft while probably only reducing capacity by a small percentage. US is a large part of the problem, considering in the past few years they have decreased the number of mainline flts by almost 100 while increasing the number of express flts by almost 100. So the same relative amount of airspace/taxi space is being used by smaller aircraft.

Why can't they simply consolidate turboprop and rj flying now? Look at CO, they are using bigger aircraft for shorter express routes out of EWR. US continues to primarily use 35-50 seat aircraft for a number of flts.

Arlen Specter has made inquiry with FAA current Administrator regarding PHL noise abatements, and ATC concerns. It is a remote possibility he will pursue Congressional investigation into a remedy for the chronic delays in and out of PHL. It sounds like PHL could be another candidate for slot control to alleviate the problem. If this happens, Tempe wont have to think about any future expansion plans from PHL. :blink:

Sen. Specter should spend less time worrying about something as trivial as ATC concerns, and more time with issues that really affect the general public - like whether or not the New England Patriots cheated while videotaping other teams' practices... ;)

Back