Arpey Still Not Eager To Buy 787s

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Same story as before; AA wating on the sidelines before ordering new planes as many others are doing:

Although American's parent, Fort Worth-based AMR Corp., has lost more than $7 billion since the beginning of 2001, it has one of the strongest balance sheets in the U.S. airline industry, prompting an analyst to ask Arpey whether American would buy the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Last month, Northwest Airlines announced it would buy 18 787s -- at a cost of $2.2 billion -- for long flights and buy options for another 50. American is expanding flights from the U.S. to Japan and adding a route to China next year.

Arpey said it didn't make sense that AMR should invest in new planes as it struggles to turn a profit.

"We've got to take the airplanes we have today and drive them to profitability," Arpey said. Once the company is profitable, he said, it could get better terms on loans for new aircraft.

Boeing did not immediately return two calls Wednesday.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050608/american_ai...s_ceo.html?.v=1

FWAAA said:
Same story as before; AA wating on the sidelines before ordering new planes as many others are doing:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050608/american_ai...s_ceo.html?.v=1
[post="276084"][/post]​
Maybe thats because they are still getting new planes?

Just because they are not ordering the first batch of a new model-which usually have a lot of kinks to work out, it doesnt mean they arent getting new planes with the money they took from the employees.

""We've got to take the airplanes we have today and drive them to profitability," Arpey said. Once the company is profitable, he said, it could get better terms on loans for new aircraft."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if he would buy the aircraft if he could get better terms now. Having heard that, I wonder if Boeing is considering offering better terms.

It's not necessarily better terms from boeing, but banks who loan the money to buy the planes. While they could finance through Boeing Capital...it would be expensive there too.

Bob Owens said:
Maybe thats because they are still getting new planes?

Just because they are not ordering the first batch of a new model-which usually have a lot of kinks to work out, it doesnt mean they arent getting new planes with the money they took from the employees.
[post="276088"][/post]​

Were the orders for these aircraft placed before or after the concessions?

Answer: Before

Boeing has been very generous in allowing AA to defer/cancel orders, but they weren't going to let us defer/cancel all of them.

If you were working for Boeing instead of AA, you'd probably be complaining that your inferior management team went too easy on AA and others.

You can move on to griping about something else, Bob.

After the MD-11 AA was in no hurry to order new airliners. Just look at the 737 and 777. The 737NG was in service with other airlines for over a year before AA took their first delivery. The 777 for about four.

AA doesn't have to be the first kid on the block with the new toy. Personally, I would be mad as hell if AA announced an order for new aircraft given the finances of the company, and more importantly, the sacrifices made by the employees.

Here's a little article about NWA and the DC9.

Associated Press
Update 1: Using Old DC-9s Pays Off for Northwest
02.20.2005, 05:23 PM

Each day, a little piece of aviation history takes off in Columbus, Ohio. And in Buffalo, N.Y., and dozens of other cities where Northwest flies DC-9s that average 34 years old. Some of them first flew when Lyndon Johnson was president. Northwest's DC-9s tie it for the oldest fleet among the world's 60 largest airlines, even as Northwest adds new planes.

Analysts say Northwest's 1995 decision to gut and refurbish those DC-9s rather than replace them is helping it weather high fuel prices and competition from low-cost carriers better than most major carriers.

Unlike most other airlines, Northwest owns a significant chunk of its fleet outright. Northwest says that has given it the flexibility to park unneeded planes during travel slowdowns like those during the Iraq war and the SARS epidemic.

"Putting a plane down is much different when you own it than when you're paying $330,000 per month" in debt payments for a new airplane, said Tom Bach, Northwest's vice president of market planning, who was closely involved in the research that went into the decision to refurbish the DC-9s, which were developed by Douglas Aircraft Co. and first flew in 1965.

Joel Denney, an airline analyst at Piper Jaffray in Minneapolis, agreed. "In a really difficult environment, you want to have very low fixed costs," he said.

Certainly, Northwest still has problems. It's pressing for labor concessions and recently announced it would eliminate free meals in coach on all domestic flights. But while it's losing money, the airline still had $2.46 billion in cash at the end of 2004 and has avoided bankruptcy, unlike some if its competitors.

Northwest's reliance on DC-9s - the aircraft accounts for more than a third of its 432-plane fleet - gives it an average plane age of about 18 years, according to data provided by BACK Aviation Solutions of New Haven, Conn. That ties with Aerolineas Argentinas for the oldest fleet among the world's top 60 airlines, according to BACK.

By contrast, the average plane age of the other five hub-and-spoke airlines is about 10 years old. Houston-based Continental Airlines Inc., which went on a buying spree in the late 1990s, has a fleet that averages just eight years old.

Northwest's fleet is so old, "it's the airline probably most worried about President Bush's Social Security proposal," cracked George Hamlin, director at airline consulting firm MergeGlobal Inc. "Northwest has chosen to be a contrarian in terms of keeping these aircraft much longer than anyone expected."

The safety of the planes isn't an issue because of federally required maintenance, said Ed Greenslet, publisher of the Airline Monitor trade journal.

The Federal Aviation Administration doesn't care how old an aircraft is, just how many times it has been flown. It measures that by the number of times it has been pressurized and de-pressurized - generally, once per flight. The DC-9, based on testing, is approved for 105,000 of these cycles.

Bach said some of Northwest's DC-9s are hitting that limit and being retired. In January, the company said it would retire 10 DC-9s this year.

In 1995, Eagan-based Northwest began updating its DC-9s, gutting the interiors and installing new carpeting, lavatories, and seats. It also upgraded the planes' electronic and mechanical systems and installed "hush kits" so the engines comply with noise limits.

Bach said comparable new planes at the time were running around $30 million, and the upgrades cost a fraction of that, though he said he wasn't sure exactly how much.

Delta Air Lines, Continental and US Airways all once flew DC-9s. Delta replaced its DC-9s in the 1980s, and Continental and US Airways followed suit in the 1990s, Hamlin said. Some wanted bigger planes, and others wanted planes that could be flown by pilots already trained on other aircraft. But Northwest has so many DC-9-trained pilots that that's not a factor, he said.

Many of the DC-9s are outfitted with around 100 seats - just right for midsize markets such as Columbus, Ohio or Buffalo, N.Y. where a larger plane would risk having too many empty seats.

Airplane buying used to be driven by moneysaving design changes such as more efficient engines or cockpits that required two crew members instead of three, Hamlin said. The DC-9s meet those requirements, including the two-person cockpit, so Northwest sees no reason to replace them, Hamlin said.

"It's a rugged airplane that's got a reputation for durability," he said

We've got to take the airplanes we have today and drive them to profitability," Arpey said.

I think what he meant to say was drive them into the ground more than we already have AA's tin is starting to look like a goodwill store inside!

mjk said:
Were the orders for these aircraft placed before or after the concessions?

Answer: Before

Exactly, so the company did not go to the employees as a last resort. If I had a new car on order but coulod not pay my current bills wouldnt you be a bit sceptical of my claim that I could not pay when you see me drive up in a new car?

Boeing has been very generous in allowing AA to defer/cancel orders, but they weren't going to let us defer/cancel all of them.

Not as generous as the TWU was though.

$330,000 per month

So thats over $10,000/day!!!!

Almost $4 million/year! Per plane, the size of a DC-9 no less!

$10,000 a day for debt payments!!!!!

Now, I wonder how those prices compare to what they were ten years ago, or twenty years ago?

Then tell us how LABOR costs, which are over 40% less than they were years ago(adjusted for inflation) are what is killing the industry.

Is soaring labor costs killing the industry or have other costs risen much much more? Are these other costs the real culprit of what ails the industry?

Bob Owens said:
Exactly, so the company did not go to the employees as a last resort. If I had a new car on order but coulod not pay my current bills wouldnt you be a bit sceptical of my claim that I could not pay when you see me drive up in a new car?

mjk said:
[post="276333"][/post]​

Bob, you're so full of crap sometimes....

Boeing was one of the first places we went to for relief. During 2002, they helped us place 15 of our 737 deliveries with Qantas, they gave us relief on TWA's remaining 717 deliveries, and helped place those as well as the other 717's and MD90's that we were parking.

Seattle Times January 2003 said:
American Airlines will take delivery of 11 Boeing jets this year that it doesn't need and can't afford, even as it searches for $4 billion of cost cuts to stave off bankruptcy.

In unusually frank terms, American Chief Financial Officer Jeff Campbell said yesterday the airline had done all it could to persuade Boeing to allow it to put off taking the planes, without success. American lost $3.5 billion in 2002 and expects another torrent of red ink this year.

"I'll make no bones about it ... we don't really want or need these 11 planes," Campbell said on a conference call with analysts and reporters to discuss the carrier's fourth-quarter results. "But we have a contract (with Boeing) so we are going to take the airplanes."

Boeing has worked hard with large airline customers to shuffle their delivery schedules in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the subsequent economic downturn that have ravaged air travel and airline balance sheets.

Boeing Commercial Airplanes chief Alan Mulally said last month the company had re-scheduled 500 deliveries since Sept. 11.

Indeed, late last year (2002) Boeing agreed with American to postpone deliveries of 34 planes due in 2003, 2004 and 2005, including eight that had been slated for this year.

"Even to this day, we're having ongoing negotiations with customers about fleet decisions," said Patricia York, a Boeing spokeswoman.

But Boeing's refusal to let American slide its 11 remaining 2003 deliveries, despite the carrier's highly unstable financial condition, shows how critical every sale is to the aerospace giant.

The nine 767s and two 777s destined for American will help Boeing hit its closely watched target of 275 to 285 deliveries this year; contribute roughly $1 billion to the company's 2003 revenues; and account for approximately a year's worth of production on the struggling 767 line in Everett, which produced just eight jets in 2002.

Yet Boeing itself will provide a large chunk of the money American needs to buy the planes.

Campbell said American will "not write any checks" for the aircraft, as Boeing Capital, the aerospace giant's financing arm, will provide most of the funding.

"We do have financing commitments in place for American for 2003," confirmed Russell Young, a Boeing Capital spokesman. "However, because of nondisclosure agreements attached to those commitments, we can't provide any more details."

The planes would be worth roughly $1.4 billion at list prices, but substantial discounts are common for large customers like American.

A source familiar with the negotiations said Boeing will provide American nearly $600 million in financing, but said that is probably well below the total purchase price of the planes because American has likely made down payments and progress payments as the planes have moved through production.

Airline-industry analysts are closely monitoring American's health. United Airlines, the country's second-largest airline, and US Airways filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year.

Some fear American could be the next major airline to fall, particularly if there is a prolonged military conflict with Iraq that pushes jet-fuel prices higher and further depresses air travel.

David Bowermaster: 206-464-2724 or [email protected].

Bob Owens said:
$330,000 per month

So thats over $10,000/day!!!!

Almost $4 million/year! Per plane, the size of a DC-9 no less!
$10,000 a day for debt payments!!!!!

Now, I wonder how those prices compare to what they were ten years ago, or twenty years ago?

Then tell us how LABOR costs, which are over 40% less than they were years ago(adjusted for inflation) are what is killing the industry.

Is soaring labor costs killing the industry or have other costs risen much much more? Are these other costs the real culprit of what ails the industry?
[post="276339"][/post]​

Too funny! :D :D

Ever borrow $150 million, Mr Owens? At a favorable 5% interest rate, that's $7.5 million/year in interest alone. Airplanes are expensive.

As to your complaints that labor costs have been trimmed even though airplanes went up in price, I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Even if you voted no, by showing up for work and not leaving for better pastures, you voted yes. You vote yes each and every day you show up for work.

The employees were the only source that wasn't gonna say NO. The jetfuel providers weren't gonna take a huge hit. The lenders weren't gonna take a huge hit. Only the employees could be counted on for that. And each day, they vote YES, despite their protests to the contrary.

Bob Owens said:
Not as generous as the TWU was though.
[post="276333"][/post]​

Ya know, you go on and on and on about how you feel you got screwed. It's like a broken freakin' record already. You floated the kegs at your pity party a long time ago, but you want to keep on going.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you to have so many parts of your life outside of your control. The things that made your life so comfortable for so long (union seniority list, union contract, union pay scale, etc) are now a huge factor in what's making you so damn bitter.

If unionized mechanics didn't have a seniority list, you could probably be a WN mechanic in ISP or ALB and make the good money and profit sharing that you preach about daily on this board.

If you weren't married (share a contract) to overhaul mechanics in TUL, MCI, and AFW, perhaps you'd have that NYC stipend that you preach about daily on this board.

In this thread you've flamed the TWU and the overhaul mechanics at TUL and MCI. However, having taken a job as an unionized AMT, these are the people you've agreed to make your bed with.

Switching to AMFA might get you a different mattress and set of sheets, but you still wake up to the same person every morning.

mjk said:
Ya know, you go on and on and on about how you feel you got screwed. It's like a broken freakin' record already. You floated the kegs at your pity party a long time ago, but you want to keep on going.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you to have so many parts of your life outside of your control. The things that made your life so comfortable for so long (union seniority list, union contract, union pay scale, etc) are now a huge factor in what's making you so damn bitter.

If unionized mechanics didn't have a seniority list, you could probably be a WN mechanic in ISP or ALB and make the good money and profit sharing that you preach about daily on this board.

If you weren't married (share a contract) to overhaul mechanics in TUL, MCI, and AFW, perhaps you'd have that NYC stipend that you preach about daily on this board.

In this thread you've flamed the TWU and the overhaul mechanics at TUL and MCI. However, having taken a job as an unionized AMT, these are the people you've agreed to make your bed with.

Switching to AMFA might get you a different mattress and set of sheets, but you still wake up to the same person every morning.
[post="276547"][/post]​

WN is unionized.....

Buck said:
WN is unionized.....
[post="276555"][/post]​

I know that, thank you for reminding me.

You missed my point.

I'll let you re-read it and see if you get it the 2nd time around.