ATA on the Rebound!

corl737

Veteran
Jun 13, 2005

ATA Holdings Receives U.S. Bankruptcy Court Approval on the Adequacy of Its First Amended Disclosure Statement

Ruling Permits the Reorganizing Debtors to Begin Solicitation for Votes on Confirmation of the First Amended Plan of Reorganization, Outlining the Company's Business Strategy for Exiting Chapter 11 in Early 2006

Read it here: http://www.primezone.com/newsroom/news.html?d=91257

Are they keeping the L-1011's or getting rid of them?

Was just in Hawaii and flew ATA. The gate agent told me they are going to start flying the 737 on those routes, instead of the 757.

Was just in Hawaii and flew ATA. The gate agent told me they are going to start flying the 737 on those routes, instead of the 757.

That (flying 73's to HI) would fit my notion that TZ will dump all 73's to WN giving WN the capability to fly overwater and WN will then assume all HI flights. TZ will keep the 75's and retreat to a charter-only carrier once again...where the profits are.

I see it all coming together nicely...

Well, DFW-MDW was just added to the TZ/WN codeshare. Good news for both.

That will be interesting to see how AA reacts to WN competing at both airports. They (AA) will have to offer lower fares not just from DAL but also from DFW to a number of markets in the NE.

That will be interesting to see how AA reacts to WN competing at both airports. They (AA) will have to offer lower fares not just from DAL but also from DFW to a number of markets in the NE.

Why? I don't follow. If ATA is going to "retreat to a charter-only carrier" as you stated in an earlier post, what would there be for WN to codeshare with? And, I am serious about the question. I don't see how a "codeshare" with a charter-only carrier would be possible or legal.

There is a table in this week's AW&ST that shows ATA's projected fleet, year-by-year. According to that table, next year they plan to retire only one of their five L-1011s, replacing it with a 767-300. The other four 1011s remain in the fleet at least for the next few years. I think the table went through 2008.
Why they're not striving to get rid of ALL five of the ol' Tri-Stars ASAP I do not understand.

Somone on here posted fairly recently that ATA was already using a 737-800 on the SFO-HNL/OGG run. Maybe he/she was a bit premature.

There is a table in this week's AW&ST that shows ATA's projected fleet, year-by-year. According to that table, next year they plan to retire only one of their five L-1011s, replacing it with a 767-300. The other four 1011s remain in the fleet at least for the next few years. I think the table went through 2008.
Why they're not striving to get rid of ALL five of the ol' Tri-Stars ASAP I do not understand.

Somone on here posted fairly recently that ATA was already using a 737-800 on the SFO-HNL/OGG run. Maybe he/she was a bit premature.

Yesterday I saw 2 ATA L-1011s at SFO parked in front of the old TWA hanger

Why? I don't follow. If ATA is going to "retreat to a charter-only carrier" as you stated in an earlier post, what would there be for WN to codeshare with? And, I am serious about the question. I don't see how a "codeshare" with a charter-only carrier would be possible or legal.

Because the "retreat to charter-only" is my theory and isn't the current reality. The current reality is that WN and TZ are preparing to codeshare out of DFW so THAT is interesting. Should the present be any less interesting just b/c I have a theory about the future???

Of course a codeshare with a charter-only wouldn't work (i.e. you need a scheduled service to code with) but that isn't the present reality. I don't follow what you don't get.

I love the L1011's, I really hope they are flying for a long time, if not by ATA, then by someone.

Doubtful. The Tri-Star, due mainly to it's "orphan" stigma, is far less desirable as a freighter conversion than its perennial competitor, the DC-10.
Other than ATA's few remaining aircraft, I think you'd have to go to the middle east to see one actually operating. The Saudi Royal Flight still flies a couple for those worthless Saudi royal leeches, and a couple of shoestring charter outfits in the region have one or two ex-Saudia/Alia/Gulf Air hand-me-downs, but I think that's about it.
Best place to see one is probably someplace like Mohave or Marana!

...almost forgot: The RAF still operates some L-1011-500s (about ten, IIRC) as tankers and/or troop transports that they obtained from either BA or UA (originally PanAm).

...almost forgot: The RAF still operates some L-1011-500s (about ten, IIRC) as tankers and/or troop transports that they obtained from either BA or UA (originally PanAm).
Thai Sky Airlines flies them, pretty cool to see them at BKK, of course Thai startup airlines aren't known for their quality. (except Bangkok Airways, which is excellent)

wishful thinking. per AC 120-42A in the FARs, ETOPS for the 75 min ETOPS ok, ETOPS for the 120 min ETOPS possible, but for ETOPS of 180 min ETOPS ATA will need 1 year of operation on 120 min ETOPS fleet type, 120 min ETOPS route, to even try to put in the application. have fun.