AVP mainline

Dexter, Piedmont only flies the DASH-8-100 and the -300 series turbo prop aircraft. PSA flies the CRJ200 and 700 series aircraft and MESA flies the 900 series rjs. Now Piedmont does extensive ground handling jobs in a large number of cities cities in which the CRJ 200, 700, and 900 fly into. Now mainline pilots scope doesnt allow EN to fly the CRJ 900 but does allow Republic, Chautauqua and a host of others to fly rjs with 86 or more seats hope this helps a bit

2 years ago for consitency purposes all the hub and key cities changed the handling of the EMB170/175 to Mainline and the CRJ700/900 to Express. Piedmont does not fly anything other then the DH8 100/300 but below the wing handles everything including Airbuses depending on the station.

Thanks for the correction. I thought anything over 50 seats was considered "mainline" for CWA staffing purposes. So the company could turn places like LGB and TUS over to Express? Nice going CWA! At least CWA does have the E-170/175s. For now.

The 900's out of CLT being operated on ground by EN are operated by Air Wisconsin.

ALL CRJ 900's operated as US Airways Express are flown by Mesa Air Group, regardless of where they fly....no other contract or wholly-owned flys them. Air Wisconsin only operates CRJ 200s, and PSA only operates CRJ 200/700. PDT handles any and/or all of them on the ground, depending on the station.....and that can change every couple of months with each new schedule. At my station PDT has also handled Republic 175s and mainline 190s for short periods of time until the next schedule adjustment.

On another note, what is the real basis for the rumors of PIT going to Express? I've heard speculation on that before, but I've never seen any specific statement or other reference to substantiate it. I've also heard that union contracts currently in place would prevent that, but we've also seen how little protection those agreements have given in other cases. Just curious.

The 900's out of CLT being operated on ground by EN are operated by Air Wisconsin.

Uh. No. The CRJ-900's that fly under the US Airways Express banner are owned and operated by Mesa Airlines (YV). The breakdown for all US Express operators is as follows:

CRJ-900 - Mesa Airlines
EMB170/175 - Republic Airlines
CRJ-200 - Air Wisconsin and PSA Airlines EAST/Mesa Airlines WEST
CRJ-700 - PSA Airlines
DH8100/300 - Piedmont Airlines EAST/Mesa Airlines WEST
EMB145 - Chautaqua Airlines and Trans States Airlines
SAAB 340B - Colgan Airways

All but the EMB170/175 are ground handled by either Piedmont or Mesa in the hubs. There are many ex-US mainline stations that have been outsourced to Piedmont or another ground services company that handle Airbus A320 series aircraft and some Boeing 737 equipment because their operations have fallen below the minimum number of mainline flights that are required to keep the CWA and IAM employed.

Believe me when I tell you this,,,, no station is safe from the bean counters in Tempe. They know the contracts and will outsource as much as they can to save a buck, and AVP is only one domino to come in the next 6 months. Most would be surprised to know that PIT has been reduced to 12 mainline flights per day, and if they want to outsource the entire operation to Piedmont, they would only need to drop 6 mainline flights and replace them with Republic 170/175 flights and POOF..... no more mainline ground handling or customer service operations. It's coming, and sooner than most would like to believe.

Here is the CWA language on outsourcing mainline stations

The Company may operate up to two (2) daily mainline jet departures in Express stations.

In the event that the Company opens a new city, on or after January
2003, such city(s) will not be covered under the Basic Agreement, as
amended, where there are four (4) daily mainline jet departures, or
fewer. In the event that mainline flying exceeds this threshold, such
city will be covered under the Basic Agreement, as amended, within
120 days of commencement of such flying.
The Company may use contractors to perform passenger service work
where company Charters are operated into non-CWA represented
cities.
The Company may add mainline flying into Express stations on a
seasonal basis not to exceed a single four (4) month period of
continuous flying in a calendar year.

I do not have the flights handy but will furnish. There are about 50 flights daily from E terminal using 900's everyday. Pull up the flights or rather I am sure it will just POP out in front of you. There are about 36 900's sporting NO company name. Pull up Piedmont Airline Fact Sheet April 2010 on line and have a look. DEX

Doesn't anybody realize DEX is baiting? He has ran this topic 2 extra pages because of his ignorance to the FACTS.

Doesn't anybody realize DEX is baiting? He has ran this topic 2 extra pages because of his ignorance to the FACTS.
Not sure as to the difficulties in understanding however it is an important topic for passenger service employees

Not sure as to the difficulties in understanding however it is an important topic for passenger service employees
The Passenger Service Employees are Protected much better than the Fleet Service Employees.....

And NO, he has no Clue!

Because PDT paid and work rules and benefits are crap

It's all relative; PDT has recently LOST some bids for ground handling work because other contractors were CHEAPER. And from what I've heard from friends who work in other industries where their medical coverage costs are rising and benefits dwindling, PDT's medical coverage is pretty decent.

As much as it stinks, I think we're all seeing what is most likely the "new normal" in the airline industry...lower pay, benefits, retirements (good luck with THAT), and expectations across the board. Legacies struggle while LCCs expand...until THEY become the new legacies and the next round of new LCCs start up. I hate to believe it, but it is also happening in many other industries as well...steel, auto, even high tech. Will the pendulum swing back someday? Maybe...maybe not. I hope so, but right now I'm trying to hope and pray for the best, but plan for much less.

I recently read that school districts across the country are looking at possibly laying off TENS or even HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of teachers and other school personnel due to falling state subsidies and property taxes. If these things keep happening and people don't have the cash to take the kids to Disney World or to visit grandma in Tucson, and businesses turn more to web conferencing to cut travel expenses, what leverage will airline employees have to expect better pay and benefits? Not saying I like it....just trying to call it like I see it, and figure out how to deal with it.

Back