BA flight on fire at LAS runway

jimntx said:
Bravo to the crew for getting the passengers evacuated safely and quickly!

By the way, did anyone notice in one of the pictures, passengers walking down the runway carrying their bags?  Never fails that there is at least one who refuses to follow instructions.  Of course, it would not be his fault if his bag punctured the slide causing it to be unusable, now would it?
I agree that they should be hit with a shoe, but I'm also honest enough to admit that I'd probably try & grab mine on the way out...

Kev3188 said:
I agree that they should be hit with a shoe, but I'm also honest enough to admit that I'd probably try & grab mine on the way out...
Not me. That is why any things that are critical, such as medications, that 'have' to be taken at regular intervals, go in my pocket prior to departure. The rest of my 'stuff' will be left behind. I will be the guy kicking you out of the way as you try and grab your bags.

As a result of investigating incidents/accidents, I have seen how that behavior (grabbing stuff on evacuation) is a risk and causal factor in injury and/or death in similar events.

Reactions: 1 person
I know-and agree. I do the same things, and also count the rows (both ways) to the nearest exit (thanks, ASSIST class!).

I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past myself to make a reflexive grab.

Any techs in LAS have a look at the GE90... Last time I've seen this happen was when a HPT wheel let loose and severed all the controls and fuel system on the engine and wing..

Thats not a hole on the fuselage, its melted fairings from the intense heat of fuel spraying on it from the engine and igniting..

Interesting.

As 'seasoned' mechanics, we always knew that GE and Pratt had a different philosophy. Pratt built their engines to withstand a stall and GE built them to prevent a stall.

One stalled often (often is used in the loosest of terms) with very little if any damage, and one rarely stalled, with sometimes catastrophic consequences.

This appears to be the case here.

As a side note: if a JT8 or JT9 wasn't leaking oil what was wrong? ...it didn't have any in it...

Glenn Quagmire said:
Not me. That is why any things that are critical, such as medications, that 'have' to be taken at regular intervals, go in my pocket prior to departure. The rest of my 'stuff' will be left behind. I will be the guy kicking you out of the way as you try and grab your bags.

As a result of investigating incidents/accidents, I have seen how that behavior (grabbing stuff on evacuation) is a risk and causal factor in injury and/or death in similar events.

Im with you on that.  Pick  up a bag in front of me and Im going over you in a hurry.

What I don't understand is why the fire burned at intensity for so long.. Did the fuel S/O valve in the piylon not work or was the fuel line damage upstream of the valve on the spar? Did the fire handle not activate the valve?

rUPyR_comp-1-1-736x414.jpg

BA and the Boeing AOG team fixed it, and rather quickly.

Suppose to ferry to VCV for paint, then to Cardiff to BA"s facility for a C-check.

Latest posts