Best Airline For Benefits

luv2travel

Oct 26, 2005
A while ago I remember talking to a guy who worked for delta cleaning the airplane cabins. He told me that one of the perks he got was that he was able to fly standby for the price of taxes(He had just gotten back from a trip to Buenos Aires for $40). He said he was also able to give one other person on this deal(although after going through bankruptcy I wouldnt be surprised if they drop that policy :shock: ). I was curious if other airlines have similar options for their employees that is also extended to friends or family. I asked the guy to name his price for putting my name on this option...but he had already promised it to his sister...so im eager to find another way to get cheap tickets(maybe even working part time for an airline?)!!

I would love to see what you experts have to say on the matter! :up:

Airlines are a dead-end job....they are the new "fast-food" jobs of the 21st century....only reason you should do this work is of you like it.... cause you'll never make a livable wage at it again...as far as the "non-rev" thing...yes...most airlines allow you to travel for a small fee.....but it's darn near IMPOSSIBLE to get on a plane anymore...and if you ** DO ** get on, you'll probably never get back...and internet prices are so cheap now that MANY airline employees I know just BUY their tickets now...it's the ONLY way you can be sure to get on a flight anymore....

Airlines are a dead-end job....they are the new "fast-food" jobs of the 21st century....only reason you should do this work is of you like it.... cause you'll never make a livable wage at it again...as far as the "non-rev" thing...yes...most airlines allow you to travel for a small fee.....but it's darn near IMPOSSIBLE to get on a plane anymore...and if you ** DO ** get on, you'll probably never get back...and internet prices are so cheap now that MANY airline employees I know just BUY their tickets now...it's the ONLY way you can be sure to get on a flight anymore....
This is true I have been with the airline for 25yrs not easy to S/A travel anymore.. :)

ditto..........

(first post in this forum, greetings everyone!)

I worked for the Delta subsidiary ground ops company, DGS, breifly this summer. Once my benefits kicked in, I was flying every week back home to see my family. I even once flew to Vegas and was lucky enough to enjoy a first class seat on the ride there from CVG. Non-reving is not that difficult if you research your routes and save time for back up plans due to weather or an unexpected number of other standbys. However, there is a ranking system to non-reving stamdby, and due to the fact that I worked for the cost-saving subsidiary, my spot on that list put me at the near bottom. Actual Delta employees benefits were much better in that I never got buddy passes and they had priority over me.

As far as pay goes, yeah, its not competative whatsoever. Furthermore, the low pay is severely detrimental to the type of person who will work for the type of pay the airline is willing to put up. I left DGS because of the blatant unprofessionalism amongst certain supervisors and his/her league of followers. If you want to work as a ramp agent apply for Southwest and pray. Though, it is basically IMPOSSIBLE to non-rev on SWA. But then again, they have the added benefit of largely discounted fairs to a list of other carriers through SWA.

I think working ramp is fun and challenging. Its all about the environment and your passion for it. There are other more rewarding careers with airlines in areas other than ramp work (and there better companies to work for as well).

Latest posts

Back