Boeing Blocked from opening second 787 Line

But what does any of this have to do with the government sticking its nose into a business wanting to open another facility?

I guess you are missing the point I’m trying to make. It seems there is more concern about this NLRB decision than what’s going on with the 787 program. I keep hearing people say that the government won't be happy until production is overseas. Guess what, a good portion of the 787 is produced overseas. Including the wing which up until this point Boeing has always made itself since its core technology. I’ve heard others cry about how the US produces less and less and more people becoming employees of the government. The decisions made at Boeing HQ are certainly not helping things.

This decision is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't know what Boeing's legal options are but I'll venture to say they have some. Also all they have to do is wait for the next election and that decision could go bye, bye. What will not change is the mess that is the 787 program or the parts of the aircraft produced overseas. It seems that Boeing is bound and determined to go the way of MD.

I guess you are missing the point I’m trying to make. It seems there is more concern about this NLRB decision than what’s going on with the 787 program. I keep hearing people say that the government won't be happy until production is overseas. Guess what, a good portion of the 787 is produced overseas. Including the wing which up until this point Boeing has always made itself since its core technology. I’ve heard others cry about how the US produces less and less and more people becoming employees of the government. The decisions made at Boeing HQ are certainly not helping things.

This decision is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't know what Boeing's legal options are but I'll venture to say they have some. Also all they have to do is wait for the next election and that decision could go bye, bye. What will not change is the mess that is the 787 program or the parts of the aircraft produced overseas. It seems that Boeing is bound and determined to go the way of MD.

I get your point regarding the alleged "Mess" with the 787 program. To me that's internal Boeing stuff and the Shareholders can choose to address that as they see fit. Money is made and lost by Corporate Leadership or lack thereof. Doesn't concern me in the least.

What does concern me is that an unelected group of Government hacks can tell a company where to open a factory. Thomas Jefferson said it best, "Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread"

I would contend that MD has not gone away just like America West has not gone away. Get my drift?

I get your drift. When I speak of MD I'm referring to their commercial division that suffered from years of neglect, outsourcing, and bad decisions. Now the facilities at Long Beach have either been torn down or in the case of building 80/84 marketed as a film studio. Now I know a lot of people would be dismissive of Boeing Commercial going the same route. One must remember though that at one time 90% of the commercial aircraft in the world were Douglas.

I get your drift. When I speak of MD I'm referring to their commercial division that suffered from years of neglect, outsourcing, and bad decisions. Now the facilities at Long Beach have either been torn down or in the case of building 80/84 marketed as a film studio. Now I know a lot of people would be dismissive of Boeing Commercial going the same route. One must remember though that at one time 90% of the commercial aircraft in the world were Douglas.

It is still happening. That's why I think their influence is still around.

It is still happening. That's why I think their influence is still around.

It is worrisome that’s for sure. You would have thought that someone over there would have learned the lessons of MD but I guess not. Maybe they were too enamored with their own "brilliance" to have noticed what a mess they made. Notice that the Boeing execs who find themselves in trouble are almost always ex-MD execs?

Boeing has been through tough times before; the 70’s come to mind. However in that case it was due to events beyond their control. They have no one to blame for the 787 mess except for themselves. The only positive thing I have heard is that some at Boeing acknowledge the mistakes and plan to scale back the outsourcing on future programs.

The strike had nothing to do with the delays to the 787 program, it was the tremendous amount of outsourcing with no quality control that caused the majority of the delays. Why do you think Boeing had to by Vought out in SC and take that business on themselves?

Latest posts

Back