Bombardier Gets 1.1 Billion Bid For Delta

WSurf

Senior
Dec 12, 2002
MONTREAL, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Bombardier Inc. (BBDb.TO: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Thursday it has won a $1.1-billion order from Delta Air Lines (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) to supply 30 CRJ900 aircraft.
Bombardier, the world's third-largest civil aircraft maker, said the contract was approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court. Exercise by Delta of options for an additional 30 CRJ900s would bring total value of the contract to $2.3 billion, Bombardier said.

According to both the court filing requesting the court's permission to enter into this agreement and media reports, the CRJ-900's will be configured with 76 seats instead of the normal 86 seats (all coach configuration). I've assumed that that was due to DALPA Scope restrictions on planes operated by Connection carriers, which leads to the presumption that they would be operated by Connection.

Jim

According to both the court filing requesting the court's permission to enter into this agreement and media reports, the CRJ-900's will be configured with 76 seats instead of the normal 86 seats (all coach configuration). I've assumed that that was due to DALPA Scope restrictions on planes operated by Connection carriers, which leads to the presumption that they would be operated by Connection.

Jim

Jim is correct. They will in fact be operated by DCI. The current scope provisions limit their operation to 30 aircraft.

Beyond DL's statements regarding the agreement with pilots for work rule changes affording the use of these jets, DL also stated that these jets will be used at its hubs at ATL, CVG, JFK, and SLC.

Anyone know yet if they'll have F/C or just put extra pitch throughout in a single class?

Jim

So there really isn't any good news in this as far as Mainline people are concerned... :(
These could actually result in job losses for some station personnel if they are used to replace Mainline flying. I have never considered any RJ's to be a welcome thing from a station point of view. We all knew the day the first one showed up at our former station, that it was the beginning of the end....and it was....The Mainline flights started to dissappear, and the RJ's kept taking their place until there were none...First the 50 seaters, then the 70 seaters.... :down:

So there really isn't any good news in this as far as Mainline people are concerned... :(
These could actually result in job losses for some station personnel if they are used to replace Mainline flying. I have never considered any RJ's to be a welcome thing from a station point of view. We all knew the day the first one showed up at our former station, that it was the beginning of the end....and it was....The Mainline flights started to dissappear, and the RJ's kept taking their place until there were none...First the 50 seaters, then the 70 seaters.... :down:

Damn....does anyone have the number for Doug Parker? Only he can save us!

I wish we would've listened to all the smart guys on this board like USAPilot and wings and cramden.

We're doomed I tell you! Dooooooooommmmmmmed!

Abe

With new BK laws, DAL only has one chance to get this right. Absent an M&A, if DAL doesn't succeed, they'll be sold off in pieces. Good luck.

Most of these aircraft are slated to replace existing aging 50 seat aircraft. In addition these 76 seaters will serve larger markets in conjunction with mainline service. It is highly unlikely that there will be any job losses in association with this aircraft order.

Damn....does anyone have the number for Doug Parker? Only he can save us!

I wish we would've listened to all the smart guys on this board like USAPilot and wings and cramden.

We're doomed I tell you! Dooooooooommmmmmmed!
Abe
What the heck are you talking about? I'm not saying that you or DL as a whole are "Doomed" because of these A/C, but those located at the smaller sized outstations could be in danger of losing jobs. How many DL stations have already gone by the wayside in favor of Comair??? I saw DL Mainline jobs fade away in 3 stations alone within a 200 mile radius of my former station with it being one of them.
Maybe you are not in a postion where this could affect you, but I'm sure some are concerned about more 76 seat RJ's showing up. Don't act so Smug there Abe, as you Ain't outa the woods yet pal.... :unsure:

What the heck are you talking about? I'm not saying that you or DL as a whole are "Doomed" because of these A/C, but those located at the smaller sized outstations could be in danger of losing jobs. How many DL stations have already gone by the wayside in favor of Comair??? I saw DL Mainline jobs fade away in 3 stations alone within a 200 mile radius of my former station with it being one of them.
Maybe you are not in a postion where this could affect you, but I'm sure some are concerned about more 76 seat RJ's showing up. Don't act so Smug there Abe, as you Ain't outa the woods yet pal.... :unsure:

No smugness here, wings. And I hate those damn RJ's as much as the next guy.

But these are replacement a/c, and as luv already pointed out they can't have more than 30 of them (with some exceptions). I don't trust Delta management anymore today than I did 2 months ago, so I fully expect them to try for more.

I still find it funny that you seem to think that we "dodged a bullet" by rejecting Parker. But as I re-read some of the earlier posts on this thing, you were in the same camp as USAPilot (and others) who think Parker is the next Herb.

Which one is it? Are we lucky not to have him, or should we be looking for other careers?

Are we doomed to fragmentation like many of you think/thought, or does Delta have a chance in all of this?

Abe

(If USAPilot says we're doomed, I'll feel much better.....cuz he is always wrong).

But these are replacement a/c, and as luv already pointed out they can't have more than 30 of them (with some exceptions).

as Delta takes new airplanes, they can add three new 76 seat RJs for every one new airplane at the mainline. The total number of RJs seating between 70 and 76 seats is limited to 200. There are currently about 80 or so 70 seaters. So I think you can pretty much bet DCI will end up with 200 RJs seating 70/76 seats. And as said, these will almost exclusively be replacements for 50 seaters, which are being retired quickly.

This management can't pay our pensions but they can afford billions to buy aircraft to out source jobs to the lowest bidder. Something is very wrong with this countries BK laws. How big a kick back will management get to this one?