Bonus Facts

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
These are not bonuses just for managment per say but, under the old AWA system if the company meet certian goals all employees (except contract)got a bonus anywhere from 0-6% based on their review. Some employees got zero and some got 6 and some departments did the chicken-#### thing and gave everyone 3% no matter how they performed. Well the company decided that that wasn't completely fair and since lots of the lower grade employees did not have consistant supervisors (I was once reviewed and rated by a sup I had never worked with and didn't even know his name)that they would get 3% no matter what and only grade 23 and higher would have to do the review dance. This is still not just "Managment" lots of your schedulars, benefits, payroll, accounting etc employees fall in the 23-26 range.

Another clarification, a few of the easties have posted "another Manager making 60-80 grand a year", that is not the way it is. On the West side managers make in the low 30's to mid 40's, 60 - 80 would be director or higher in most cases. We are a LCC you know.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for.

:down:
Oh come now, from what I have seen so far I'll take the frugal "lets do the best that we can with what we have and have fun" west manager vs the 30 year in the same job "we do it this way and we are not changing" east manager that makes twice the salary!

Sounds like an HP manager afraid of criticism to me.

The easy way is rarely the best way.

Oh, and the way you have always done it is likely not the best way either! Cute quotes but your lacking any substance. By the way I never said easy way, in fact I'll bet the west employees are measurable more productive and work harder and longer than the east. It is just our nature.

There are good people on both sides...no reasonable person should dispute that. On the west we are very good at getting the most bang for our buck because there wasn't much buck to go around. Sure we were paid at lower salaries than the industry standard prior to recent times, but we hung around for many different reasons. Our management team as a whole has done an exceptional job finding innovative ways to not only survive, but to actually post profits in a very difficult environment. Our employees have done an equally exceptional job carrying out their duties with less resources at their disposal than most other airline employees. We need to stop scoffing at the "the little airline that thought it could but had nowhere to go" and equally stop pointing at the failures of the "big airline that thought it could but didn't". West needed the East routes and resources, East needed the low cost competency. We have a very diverse group of employees as a combined airline, which if merged with a little skill and care will kick some industry butt.

There are good people on both sides...no reasonable person should dispute that. On the west we are very good at getting the most bang for our buck because there wasn't much buck to go around. Sure we were paid at lower salaries than the industry standard prior to recent times, but we hung around for many different reasons. Our management team as a whole has done an exceptional job finding innovative ways to not only survive, but to actually post profits in a very difficult environment. Our employees have done an equally exceptional job carrying out their duties with less resources at their disposal than most other airline employees. We need to stop scoffing at the "the little airline that thought it could but had nowhere to go" and equally stop pointing at the failures of the "big airline that thought it could but didn't". West needed the East routes and resources, East needed the low cost competency. We have a very diverse group of employees as a combined airline, which if merged with a little skill and care will kick some industry butt.

Eric, you are by far one of the most reasonable & logical people on this board. I agree with most everything you say. I believe we can do a lot with this company, and from what I've seen, Doug is the one that can integrate the two airlines (if anyone can). He has the personality, and the patience. The way he handles some of these employee questions at the town halls is truly amazing. He doesn't skirt the issue--he answers the question truthfully. His answers aren't always popular--but that's the way it is when you run a huge company (or any company). Some people you will never please no matter what.

I believe even Herb K. would have trouble integrating these 2 airlines. He is a great executive, but he built his airline from scratch--didn't have to combnie 2 different ways of thinking.

I'm very excited about the future of LCC--now,let's just hope SOC stays in PHX! :)

"I'm very excited about the future of LCC--now,let's just hope SOC stays in PHX! :)" Amen to that rjh----clean house and keep all in Tempe---no threepeats on Chapt 11.

Back