Bronner Bites Off More Than He Can Chew?

WorldTraveler said:
jimntx,
The only salvation for the other legacies will be if they choose NOT to follow US and UA's pattern of confrontational employee relations as part of cutting costs while moving very slowly, if at all, to transform the business model.
[post="169838"][/post]​

I have always enjoyed your posts, and you seem to look at everything from a business slant. Thanks from all of us in the trenches for this comment....the general reporting on just about all the airline problems seems to point at labor..U labor in particular has always stepped up to the plate when the going has been tough. They will this time too, its just not going to be pretty, and probably will not make a difference . I personally do not think U is going to make it, because too much good will has been squandered by leaders doing just enough to get out the door with a couple of cool million. Greeter. (I really DO hope the other airline managements step back and look at the way U and UAL have approached their employees.)

WorldTraveler said:
jimntx,
Don't count on ATA to bail out anyone. I take it you have seen ATA's statement that it could be out of cash by early 2005. Less than $200M is pretty slim to have right now.
[post="169838"][/post]​

Oh for heaven's sake. Go back and read what I wrote. I was just using ATA as an example of another AFA represented union. It could just as easily have been one of the others or even SWA whose flight attendants are represented by TWU. TWU is also an AFL-CIO union. AFL-CIO standard on mergers and acquisitions is DOH for all.

I was using ATA to make the point that probably NO ONE is going to "bail out" the US Airways employees. Another airline may want the gates, the a/c, or the landing slots, but they will not want the employees--at least not if they have to be merged into the airline's existing workforce with anything like DOH. I think AA/TWA taught everyone a lesson in that department.

USA320Pilot said:
PineyBob:

PineyBob said: "Just curious, because this guy has a ego the size of small planets and IMO he ain't going quietly."

USA320Pilot: As you know, the company has hired bankruptcy financial and legal consultants. According to Bruce Lakefield at last week's MEC meeting, the more union's that participate in the new business plan the better the odds of the airline surviving, whether in or out of bankruptcy.

Dependent on how negotiations go during the next few weeks, as well as the IRS pension waiver (where the company said the odds are not good for government approval), will determine ownership, but I can tell you this, you're right about David Bronner and I have been told there is a plan(s) to not cancel the security and for RSA to maintain control of the airline.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="169845"][/post]​

USA320Pilot: You are wrong. Dead wrong.
If US Airways files for bankruptcy in less than a month, airline chairman David Bronner predicts that no one, including himself, will be willing to rescue the nation's seventh-largest carrier from oblivion.

"Bankruptcy means we probably lose control, and we lose our money. And I will say 'Thank you very much for the lesson' and go home."

Dr. Bronner has made these statements in the past week... Yet you continue to post information directly contradicting Dr. Bronner's statements... Why is this?

If Bronner is worth his doctorate, he will reinstate PIT flights, if for no other reason than to alliviate traffic at the Hubs (CLT and PHL).

The construction going on at PIT, whether it's the Findlay Connector or the repairs to the V TWY, is going to be very appealing to any competition that decides to come to PIT. If the ACAA figures out how to pay down the debt to the airport without US active there, then PIT becomes very interesting to every airline, because rents could drop dramatically in a very short period of time.

One other thought: Let's assume Kerry becomes president. Knowing that his wife is tied to the Pittsburgh area, wouldn't it be smart to kiss up just a little bit to the administration by keeping jobs in the area? It might help when there is legislation concerning pensions and retirement weaving it's way through Congress to the President's desk.

Mmmmm! Coffee!

EyeInTheSky said:
What a jerk! "Newly hired workers earned lower wages and didn't burden the airlines with hefty pensions." WTF! RSA is a pension fund!!! I don't know about you but I wanted to puke after I read this.
[post="169426"][/post]​

My thoughts exactly. The pension that I DON"T have is less important than the pension you mangage!!! What a hypocrite! I guess I should apply for a teaching position in AL and screw the rest of the world. At least I would be living high on the hog!!!

Latest posts

Back