Bruce Lakefield Comments

USA320Pilot said:
700UW:

I did not say where the overhaul will be conducted and its you who are making those comments.
Respectfuly,
USA320Pilot
Oh you didn't now?

What about this?

Posted on May 2 2004, 08:27 AM
700UW:

I find it interesting that you continue "shoot the messenger". ALPA has been told in side conversations what our expected part of the going forward plan will be and I have provided enough hints.

In regard to the A320 overhaul, if the company wins the hand writing is on the wall. If the IAM wins, Pittsburgh mechanics should learn another language because they will not like where the overhaul will be conducted, since the english language will be a challenge. It's up to the IAM what to do here.

Now if you did not post it who did?

And as far as I know English is still the language of the USA, care to explain your exact quote?

"Pittsburgh mechanics should learn another language because they will not like where the overhaul will be conducted, since the english language will be a challenge."

700UW, I have never listed a specific location, except that it will not be liked, it will be painful, and English is not spoken very well.

PineyBob, with all due repsect, this management team first leaks their information via different communication sources. They talk all the time on the jump seat, in the terminal, via email, speeches, to the news media, or in phone calls to front line employees. Furthermore, the New York and Washington-based employees regularly see management flying back and forth between the two cities and have the chance to talk.

For example, Bruce Lakefield, Neal Coehn, and Ben BAldanza all were in New Yrok last Monday and talked with station personnel.

Bruce Lakefield took his time to come and speek to front line pilots at a union meeting in Washington last Friday to discuss issues. To start this topic I posted some of his Q&A, then some IAM members hijacked the thread.

In regard to the IAM here are the public facts:

The company wants to outsource all new aircraft type overhaul.

The company has rejected the Pittsburgh B737 Overhaul facility and reached a 3-year deal, with a 1-year exit clause with the ACAA.

The company said it is considering obtaining 60 A320 aircraft and the EMB-190/195, with both aircraft candidates to replace over 100 B737s.

There are wide spread reports that FedEx has held inspections of US Airways B737 aircraft and is interested in obtaining the jets to replace some of their aging B727s.

The company is seeking pay cap increases, training relief, and work rule changes, which would permit the company to re-train current B737 pilots on the A320s and or EMB-190/195s.

Bronner has said that the restructuring will go forward "with or without employees".

Finally, management has told rank-and-file pilots the Pittsburgh maintenance facility could be closed or moved in the not-so-distant future to an undesirable location.

It appears the IAM's choice may be simple: Participate in the "Going Forward" Plan or be eliminated. Do I like it? No, but Brooner said, the plan will go forward "with or without employees".

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Bear96 said:
I am confused about what that means.

If he is not here for a restructuring, isn't the only other option that he is here for is to begin a shutdown of the company?

If he is not here for a restructuring, why bother to try to extract more concessions-- isn't that "restructuring?"

Someone translate please!
Sorry to repost, but can anyone help me understand what Lakefield means when he says he is not here for a "restructuring?"

Anyone???

Bear,

He is here to do what he is told by Bronner and Siegel's circle. For Labor, as Bronner was quoted numerous times....He will implement the "plan" with or without the employees.

Translation: ..Labor will either throw themselves on their own sword, OR MANGEMENT WILL DO IT FOR THEM. Outcome: The sword is Labor's destiny.

We can't ensure to save a company. There is enough Company advocates to focus on that. Labor needs to endeavor to protect our collective bargaining agreements at all cost.

PineyBob said:
First

basic business 101 If you are a senior executive you DO NOT tell a front line employee the kind of information alledged to be passed on here!

basic business 101 The very last thing you want to do is divest of profitable core assests unless the alternative is worse.

basic business 101 If you do decide to sell assets you don't generally leak that decision to a pilot anymore than you would a Sales Trainer If you do leak, you leak the information to Wall Street in hopes of starting a bidding war for the asset in question

I to have spoken to Sr Management on several occassions via phone and in person. I have heard many things under the agreement of confidentiality that have come to pass pretty much as Management said they would. My point is that if i were to go public and view and compare tracks records a certain A320 Driver would not stack up well.

I won't because i gave my word I wouldn't. End of story, case closed.
Bob,

And many of us have been brought to that same confidentiality. Now that you have exposed yourself to that knowledge...you should understand the coming of Labor's great resistance to the "plan".

My point is this: If the company wins the upcoming arbitration and there is no agreement with the IAM to cost effectively conduct overhaul, then the Pittsburgh B737 maintenance facility will likely be closed or could be moved to a location where English is not spoken very well in the meantime.

I sure hope the mechanics can learn another language, if they want an overhaul job.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With such comments the LAST thing I see or hear is respect but instead distain, glee and resentful loathing of the mechanic group.

We have executives coming on here PMing mechanics such as myself begging us to help them make the above comments a reality thinking that since they have employees such as this particular Captain others will follow suit and also become sacrificial employees. Threats Threats and more Threats. They (BOD) pay these kinds of people bonuses to stay on at the same time expecting employees to go along with anything they have to say. To that I say they are completely insane and they are receiving exactly what they reap and that's why if this company fails they need only to look in the mirror.

PITbull said:
Bear,

He is here to do what he is told by Bronner and Siegel's circle. For Labor, as Bronner was quoted numerous times....He will implement the "plan" with or without the employees.

Translation: ..Labor will either throw themselves on their own sword, OR MANGEMENT WILL DO IT FOR THEM. Outcome: The sword is Labor's destiny.

We can't ensure to save a company. There is enough Company advocates to focus on that. Labor needs to endeavor to protect our collective bargaining agreements at all cost.
Thanks PITbull, but I am still confused.

Isn't "the plan" a restructuring?

So if he is not interested in restructuring, to me that would mean he has no intention of implementing "the plan" and is about to start an orderly liquidation.

In which case there is no reason to even discuss further concessions, if he has already decided the lights are going to be shut off on a certain date.

USA320Pilot said:
700UW, I have never listed a specific location, except that it will not be liked, it will be painful, and English is not spoken very well.
...Er, Mr. Pee-lot, what is it that you be tryin to say? Dat we don't speak anglish in Alebama? Yest cause YOU think that we is hicks down hear, don't mean we don't speak good anglish. If you is gonna keep talkin bout me that way, you kin jest delete my phone number offen your tellephone...or either quit a quotin me! :p

USA320PILOT: "Furthermore, the inability of the PSA and US Airways pilots, along with management to agree on a CRJ-700 J4J protocol could provide further incentive to sell PSA or for these jets to get to Allegheny/Piedmont, which is being discussed according to a MEC Officer."

I would like nothing more than to see our fellow WO's get jets, but I doubt the company will spend the capital to setup a program for the CRJs on their property at this time. I believe LOA 91 allows for the crj700s to be flown at PSA at 50/50 whether we are a WO or affiliate carrier. The only reason an agreement hasn't been reached is because the AAA negotiating committee is not talking to us. PSA has a proposal on the table, which has been there for over two weeks, and we have recieved no responce from AAA. It's in everyone's best interests for PSA and MDA to remain within Group. The 8%, fuel costs, landing fees, ground handling, and everything else the contract carriers get paid for make it wise to outsource as little flying as possible.

Do you know what the hangup is for an agreement to bring the aircraft to PSA? Why do you think there needs to be special seniority and bidding rights at PSA for the J4J pilots. If the aircraft go to MESA there will be no special treatment for you there?

DorkDriver, PSA will likely be sold so all of your questions will likely be over come by events.

In regard to the mecahnics, I was asked some questions and I have posted the facts. Some people do not like the facts and would rather "shoot the messenger".

The company has asked the IAM to participate in the new business plan and to attend the labor leader meeting, but the IAM has refused. Thus, if the IAM does not participate the company has a Plan B that could eliminate the mechanics and make the IAM irrelevant to the process.

Do I like it? No, I do not. However, David Bronner has said the plan will go forward "with or without employees" and I believe him.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Cav,

All who are outspoken on this board are receiving PM's by management types.

Trust me, they are coming so fast, I am so busy deleting the stuff just to make room in that file.

"DorkDriver, PSA will likely be sold so all of your questions will likely be over come by events."

I just want to understand why I should give up my seniority? Will it save the airline? Why does AAA always rewrite the rules to serve themselves?

On a different subject: What is your opinion of furloughed AAA pilots who went to work for Freedom Airlines while MESA was in contract negotiations?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Bear96 said:
Thanks PITbull, but I am still confused.

Isn't "the plan" a restructuring?

So if he is not interested in restructuring, to me that would mean he has no intention of implementing "the plan" and is about to start an orderly liquidation.

In which case there is no reason to even discuss further concessions, if he has already decided the lights are going to be shut off on a certain date.
Bear,
My take, is that they are not interested in operating an airline. Both Bronner and Lakefield are not airline industry folks.

They are here to position the company to increase and maximise shareholder value. What stands in their way are these legal matters and documents called "labor contracts". They are coming to force us to gutt them. What ever happens to labor after that, they could care less.

Lakefield has already told ALPA they are looking to mirror America West. So all one needs to do is pick up Am. West contract and their's your answer to your working agreement concession, wage and all.

USA320Pilot said:
DorkDriver, PSA will likely be sold so all of your questions will likely be over come by events.

In regard to the mecahnics, I was asked some questions and I have posted the facts. Some people do not like the facts and would rather "shoot the messenger".

The company has asked the IAM to participate in the new business plan and to attend the labor leader meeting, but the IAM has refused. Thus, if the IAM does not participate the company has a Plan B that could eliminate the mechanics and make the IAM irrelevant to the process.

Do I like it? No, I do not. However, David Bronner has said the plan will go forward "with or without employees" and I believe him.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
USA320,

From the sounds of you, don't know whether Bronner from Alebama knows or understands contracts...the IAM has one. It is legally binding. If Bronner decides to invest MORE of RSA money to buy himself a Vol. BK, than he can do that and reap the possible wrath of the IAM in a job action in BK along with the other labor groups.

And Bronner's wonderful, friendly, labor mantra will be written in the history books as THE OTHER LORENZO!

"Power to the People".

More perspective from another pilot who attended Lakefield's meeting with the DCA Council 138 rank-and-file pilots:

-- He was a Wall Street trader for a long time, but has never seen change in an industry like the airline industry has undergone over the past year.

-- There has been a paradigm shift in airline industry revenue.

-- If there wasn't a revenue problem, we wouldn't have a cost problem.

-- If there is denial out there, that is a bad place to be.

-- We don't have much time, but the summer is looking good.

-- At RSA, the UAIR investment is considered a bad investment.

-- When asked about the likelihood of the other labor groups participating in the upcoming restructuring talks, he commented that he realized that "some other groups are not as understanding."

-- We have to start with the leaders of this airline -- the people in this room.

-- We (RSA) are not corporate raiders like others out there (he mentioned TPG).

-- He was asked what would happen if LOA 91 was turned down. He responded: "I will not be here talking with you next year."

-- If we accept LOA 91 we can fight to keep our creditors at bay for a while. If the LOA is rejected, GECAS will probably require debt financing or larger down payments on the SJ's.

-- He commented that we actually are fuel hedged 1/3 for this year, and praised Neil Cohen for that, "otherwise we would not be here."

-- SWA is 85% hedged, but UAL is "pricing to market" (not hedged by my understanding).

-- There was a question as to whether the phone call to the MEC from GECAS was a strategy of some sort to get us to approve LOA 91. His physical response appeared to me to be one of annoyance, and he responded: "Send them to me."

-- He also commented that he has "spent more time with GECAS that any other thing on his calendar." Each day there are phone calls from GECAS seeking info such "how are the revenues."

-- There was another question about the large number of grievances, and that many were "nickel/dime
sh--." He responded "we are beyond nickels and dimes now."

-- Asked about the possibility of SJ's being redirected, he mentioned that is a possibility for mid-May, and that it is not a fabricated deadline.

Back