Bye, Bye E-190 & A330-300

The 333's were early frames and the wings employee travel site always warned that the flights from FCO were weight restricted. Glad to see them go. They ruined my plans more than once.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe, fingers crossed, they'll have enough seats to get the 777 CIP finished before the A333's start to leave. Plus we have 52 787 options waiting to be picked up. Plenty of WB lift coming and available.

Reactions: 2 people
I was hoping we would get 767-300 for the PHX to Hawaii routes. Guess it will be 757 for a while. Seems like at least once a week we have a 8 to 10 hour delay for MX, and have to wait for a 757 to arrive from CUN around 1830 to take out a delayed morning Hawaii flight.

hp-csr-phx said:
I was hoping we would get 767-300 for the PHX to Hawaii routes. Guess it will be 757 for a while. Seems like at least once a week we have a 8 to 10 hour delay for MX, and have to wait for a 757 to arrive from CUN around 1830 to take out a delayed morning Hawaii flight.
Someone posted a while back that 737Max will eventually replace the PHX-HI 757s. Widebodies to Hawai'i are becoming pretty rare except for very long flights not within single-aisle range (like DFW or ORD). Many of the LAX flights are now on A321s.

hp-csr-phx said:
The 767 doesn't have a stellar MX record either.

Reactions: 2 people
FWAAA said:
Delta has never seen a used airplane it didn't like, and there are rumours that DL's accountants are sharpening their pencils so they can prepare a bid for these A333s. :D

You probably won't see Delta buy used wide bodies and fly them. The costs to overhaul them and put in new interiors (and put them in Delta standard i.e. same crew rests/lavs/galleys etc.) make them less worth it than narrow bodies. Also pretty sure the US 333s are at a lower MTOW than the Delta 238t and 242t birds. 

However it wouldn't shock me at all if DMS picked up a few and parted them out like they have done with some 767/747/777s. I'm sure Delta would love a few of the engines at least. 

dash8roa said:
The 333's were early frames and the wings employee travel site always warned that the flights from FCO were weight restricted. Glad to see them go. They ruined my plans more than once.
Dispatchers ruined your plans over fueling the airplane. Happens all the time...

Sad because the A330-300 is a very popular and efficient aircraft to operate. I guess USAIR bought the beta versions. Too bad they didn't try to trade them for newer ones. I'll guess and say they are readily available over the A350 for now. Sadly the 767's are horrible for dependability. Speaking from a maintenance standpoint it's not us but parts availability and not enough TLC or preventative maintenance being done anymore. With less in the inventory scheduling gets tighter so you can see why dependability dropped off.

Art at ISP said:
From what I understand, these A333's are early models and don't have the extra tanks or range to make them appealing to DL. This may be partially why AA is getting rid of them.

Art,

The only time I have ever seen an A330 with a fuel load greater than the capacity of the -300 was the return flight from TLV.
DL may not want to spend the money to do the upgrades that LCC ignored... who knows?

Driver

A320 Driver said:
Art,

The only time I have ever seen an A330 with a fuel load greater than the capacity of the -300 was the return flight from TLV.
DL may not want to spend the money to do the upgrades that LCC ignored... who knows?

Driver
Its pretty safe to say if they come to Delta it will be for parts. Just deferred 4 A350s because they don't see a need for the extra capacity right now.

dash8roa said:

I'm guessing you're not a mainline employee based on your screen name and comment.  I can't really imagine any mainline employee being 'glad' our fleet is being reduced.

757Pilot said:
I'm guessing you're not a mainline employee based on your screen name and comment.  I can't really imagine any mainline employee being 'glad' our fleet is being reduced.
The retirement of nine older A333s is not really a fleet reduction considering that LUS ordered 22 A350s more than a decade ago with the intention that some of those A350s would replace the older short-ranged A333s.

757Pilot said:

It's not being reduced.  Like the MD-80s (....oh...excuse me....the SUPER 80s) it's being replaced with new, more efficient aircraft.  

Huge difference.