Can AA's 777s fly ORD-BOM or is that just too far?

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
CO announced EWR-BOM this morning, pending government approval. At 6784nm, it is 280nm farther than AA's longest flight, ORD-DEL.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070307/aqw037.html?.v=7

So if CO can go that far in its 777s, could AA's 777s make it an additional 215nm beyond that (6999nm) or would such a long flight be so weight restricted as to make the flight a guaranteed money-loser?

Another option is to go head-to-head with CO at JFK to BOM; with AA's first class Flagship Suites head and shoulders above CO's BF 2-class product, you'd think that AA would be the choice of those paying the high fares, even if CO dominated the cheap coach market.

Another option is to go head-to-head with CO at JFK to BOM; with AA's first class Flagship Suites head and shoulders above CO's BF 2-class product, you'd think that AA would be the choice of those paying the high fares, even if CO dominated the cheap coach market.

Keep in mind that AA would not only be competing against CO (EWR-BOM), but against DL who is already flying JFK-BOM. Next year, DL will roll out lay flat beds on it's long-haul 777's which should give DL a pretty competitive product. The other problem is that AA doesn't have much feed at JFK, meaning they would be relying very heavily on O+D traffic.

If AA wants to fly to BOM, they should do it from ORD. Of course, I don't know if AA's 777's can make it.

Forget worrying about competing with CO. On Friday, somebody will tick off AA like nobody ever has before, and I am not exaggerating.

Forget worrying about competing with CO. On Friday, somebody will tick off AA like nobody ever has before, and I am not exaggerating.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mark,

If your "info"(friday) is as good as your schedule info is(and I have -NO- doubt that it is), THIS, I cannot wait to see !!

Now, on another note, AA needs to be able to get it's hands on a half dozen 777-200LR birds, in very short notice, if for no other reason, than just to have them.

There are routes LIKE ORD/DEL, that they can be used $$ wisely, just "for openers"

AA gets an "A" for defending DFW/MIA/SJU, on long haul..........an "A-/B+" for ORD. BUT they only get a "C/C-" for the way the defend JFK(a situation that has Loooong infuriated me)(But then again, what do I know)
What I and MANY others DO KNOW, is that even with a "scaled back"...Taj Mahal, they STILL must have plans BEYOND using that terminal for current operations, and contract work !!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Oh boy! 48 hours of rampant, mindless speculation. Thank you, Mark.

I'll start. I heard from my #4 that her next door neighbor's hairdresser's dog groomer's 2nd cousin said for a fact that SWA is going to start flying MIA to the Caribbean and South America.

Now, try and top that!

Oh boy! 48 hours of rampant, mindless speculation. Thank you, Mark.

I'll start. I heard from my #4 that her next door neighbor's hairdresser's dog groomer's 2nd cousin said for a fact that SWA is going to start flying MIA to the Caribbean and South America.

Now, try and top that!

You have great sources! My sister's husband's 3rd cousin who is currently on business in Bogota can confirm that. ;)

I should add though, that the announcement is tentatively set for Friday, and might be moved. As of now, though, Friday is most likely.

You have great sources! My sister's husband's 3rd cousin who is currently on business in Bogota can confirm that. ;)

I should add though, that the announcement is tentatively set for Friday, and might be moved. As of now, though, Friday is most likely.
Gee Mark. Could it be DELTA???? So they are going to try and take on the "Big Bad Wolf"? :p I know Spirit has gotten a few approvals to fly from FLL to a few Caribbean/SA destinations also.

The rumour is, as mentioned, Delta. No idea if this will happen, but the rumour has gained significant steam. We'll know Friday.

As for Spirit, yes, they are expanding heavily too this summer. They will add service to Port of Spain, Lima, and Chiclayo (a medium-sized city in northern Peru) this June. They got US DOT approval, and now are waiting for approval from Trinidad & Tobago and Peru.

Miami has the open space to do it. Unless DAL moves flights from other cities, GRU, GIG, and EZE will remain exclusive to AA.

With more 300's on Central America, the new 3 class to the West coast. AA may have already been preparing for Deltas arrival.

Could also begin to see more AA flights to Caribbean and Central America to stand up to DAL.

Miami has the open space to do it. Unless DAL moves flights from other cities, GRU, GIG, and EZE will remain exclusive to AA.

With more 300's on Central America, the new 3 class to the West coast. AA may have already been preparing for Deltas arrival.

Could also begin to see more AA flights to Caribbean and Central America to stand up to DAL.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats good to hear Mikey,...........But let this DL "news" serve as an unofficial REMINDER to AA , that they have TO FEW widebodys...AND..need to speed up their "thought process" about future fleet plans.

It's "potential" times like this, that I long for the days of "uncle" Bobby !!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Yeah, DL having all those widebodies sure did a lot to keep them out of bankruptcy...

AA's got such a large share of MIA that they were bound to have something like this happen, similar to DL moving into DFW. Given how sucksessful that was, I don't know that AA is too concerned about it. DL can fly the junk, and AA will have more space for premium/higher fare customers. Works for me -- I'm tired of booking four weeks out on a business trip and not being able to get a pre-reserved seat on a $1000 fare.

Back