CANADA, AYE!

Like ATA?
The ATA deal was actually beneficial to both airlines. WN obtained access to most of the facilities at MDW, plus a feed to not only Hawaii, but LGA, DCA, and DFW. ATA got to remain in business. Now that ATA is unfortunately defunct, WN has most or all of ATA's remaining gates and facilities at MDW. ATA's demise was not entirely their fault. Overall it was a good deal for WN.

Does anyone think that PVD could play a role in the code-share? Since PVD+MHT=BOS for WN, perhaps a few key flights to YYZ, YUL, and even YHZ could feed some passengers in/out of the WN network from PVD??

Does anyone think that PVD could play a role in the code-share? Since PVD+MHT=BOS for WN, perhaps a few key flights to YYZ, YUL, and even YHZ could feed some passengers in/out of the WN network from PVD??

Looks like all east coast SWA connections will be thru BWI. MDW will handle the west coast xfers. I can see YUL,YYZ and YOW as definite cities to codeshare with due to the mass amounts of pax. AND... those are some of the only cities that PRE-clear US customs. YHZ, YQC,YQM,YYT DO NOT.
I dont know about western cities IE: Calgary and YVR.
ALSO.... I have heard some rumors that WN is in talks with Expressjet (AKA:The Mexican Air Force) on a regional feed to Mexican destinations using the 50 seat ERJs. since XJT has almost every mexican city on thier ops cert. RUMOR...................

Looks like all east coast SWA connections will be thru BWI. MDW will handle the west coast xfers. I can see YUL,YYZ and YOW as definite cities to codeshare with due to the mass amounts of pax. AND... those are some of the only cities that PRE-clear US customs. YHZ, YQC,YQM,YYT DO NOT.
ALSO.... I have heard some rumors that WN is in talks with Expressjet (AKA:The Mexican Air Force) on a regional feed to Mexican destinations using the 50 seat ERJs. since XJT has almost every mexican city on thier ops cert. RUMOR...................

Well despite my user name I am now in PDX and we are hearing rumors that SEA and PDX are being considered as gateways into canada via the westjet codeshare. Our facilities in PDX are expending in the next few months and we will have plenty of room for future growth.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't help but think that overflying the greater Boston area (and it's links to Canada) as well as PHL (PVD and/or MHT can feed pax to/from PHL) is something to overlook on the part of WestJet. I guess we'll have to wait and see (and hope!).

I think that WN would work the Westjet flights on the WN side too. Perfect deal for WN. Excellent moneymaking opportunity.

So when are they going to link up with IcelandAir?

Funny you should mention Icelandair, as me and my ol' travel pal are starting the planning for a summer '09 Iceland/Norway trip and I was looking at their website to see if they flew into any WN cities. Unfortunately, they don't. The do fly to Orlando, or more properly the Orlando AREA, since it's actually Sanford FL, and only a couple of days a week. Their daily US services are to BOS, JFK, and MSP (which makes sense given the area's large Nordic population).
So, I guess we'll have to fly NW :shock: (which may well be DL by then) to MSP to connect. It's far more of a 'straight-line' shot from my home to Iceland than goiung to the East Coast.
Sure would be great if WN did link up with them at either MDW or BWI!

Story Link

December 23, 2008 at 8:17 AM EST

DALLAS — Southwest Airlines Co. late Monday said it had submitted an application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to acquire the required international route authority.

The application for a certificate to provide foreign air transportation is needed before Dallas-based Southwest Airlines can fully implement the previously announced codeshare deal.

The certificate would also allow Southwest to operate flights to Canada with its own aircraft, but the carrier says it has no plans to do so at this time.

Emphasis on last sentence is mine. Although the company says it has no plans to fly international 'at this time', I wonder if this is just a carrot/bait to the SW pilot group or is SW actually doing the math and finding that flying to at least airports in Canada with US Customs facilities can be profitable?

Monday's Toronto Star Story
WestJet Airlines Ltd.'s North American expansion plans have encountered a setback after a key U.S. low-cost airline partner said it was delaying a planned code-sharing relationship because of the difficult economy.

WestJet, based in Calgary, said today that Texas-based Southwest Airlines has elected to "re-direct" resources from a planned code-share project toward "other near-term revenue opportunities."

Bob Jordan, Southwest's executive vice-president of strategy and planning said in the statement that the airline remains committed to its partnership with WestJet, and to the idea of code-sharing in general.

However, there was no word on when the code-sharing element of the deal might be resurrected, if at all.

Jordan said Southwest would "do all we can to minimize the impact on our previously stated code-share plans."

Monday's Toronto Star Story
WestJet Airlines Ltd.'s North American expansion plans have encountered a setback after a key U.S. low-cost airline partner said it was delaying a planned code-sharing relationship because of the difficult economy.

WestJet, based in Calgary, said today that Texas-based Southwest Airlines has elected to "re-direct" resources from a planned code-share project toward "other near-term revenue opportunities."

Bob Jordan, Southwest's executive vice-president of strategy and planning said in the statement that the airline remains committed to its partnership with WestJet, and to the idea of code-sharing in general.

However, there was no word on when the code-sharing element of the deal might be resurrected, if at all.

Jordan said Southwest would "do all we can to minimize the impact on our previously stated code-share plans."

Yea we were just talking about this the other day at work, no one had heard anything about the status of the code share, thanks for the post.

Back