Caravan Down: Lake Erie Accident

Yeh, Twinstar_ca , I figured you had forgotten or were not aware that there was freezing rain falling while the airplane was on the ground.

With a little searching you will find that the Cessna Caravan is very unforgiving of frost or ice on the wings and tail.

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk the way I answered, but I just get so damn frustrated when I think of all the people who have died in this industry due to pushing the limits.

And what really gets me most is listening to all the hand wringing and wesealing by the authorities as they try to deflect any responsibility.

I wonder if it will ever change?

Rev. Chas W.

no offense was taken at all here, rev... i'm a little thicker skinned than that!! B)

i know the frustration i used to feel when members of my profession wanted so badly to please the "uppers" that they would make bad choices sometimes...

for that matter, it wasn't until i had a few years under my belt that i learned that you can say no when needed... and if it didn't sit well with someone else's plans, well, i was looking for a job when i found that one...

as far as deflecting responsibilty, it's no different in health care... one only needs to look at waiting times for various procedures and tests and when someone runs out of waiting time, the scrambling starts to see who gets the blame this time!!! :down:

Charles W. said:
...The real problem here is the hypocrisy between the meaning of rules...

The poor pilot is torn between unemployment if he/she refuses to fly or rolling the dice once again due to peer pressure from pilots who will and profit pressure from employeers....

...how do these young guys explain that to their family when they have no income?...

The system has been thus forever.

The regulators sit in their comfortable offices and push more paper while the politicians like retarded monkeys jump into the news media and babble on and on about how dedicated the system is towards safety and what great and wonderful changes this latest tragic event will bring forth to ensure "safety".

Then it all goes quiet until another new accident kills more people in the wrong place and there these monkesy are again bla bla bla,,,,,,

Pure hypocrisy and ass covering on the part of the regulator and the politicans.

Makes me ashamed to be connected with the industry.

Every time I hear or read some TC paper pusher or Politician use the "safety" mantra I feel like shoving it up their .... :down:

Chuck Ellsworth
Well Chuck, please tell us how you REALLY feel...

Perhaps you wrote down suggestions somewhere else in your many posts but I would not want to take all of my Thanksgiving Day looking for them, so please, what would you do about this if suddenly you were in TC, say, as the newly appointed Director of Commercial & Business Aviation, and the DGCA asked you to fix this problem of "pilots flying under pressure of losing their jobs?" Since you have strong opinions on the problems, you surely have several suggestions on how to fix. Pease share how you would fix this.

ASL :

Yes I do have strong opinions on these problems.

My opinions are based on having been in the business for over fifty years and having had to take TC into Federal court to force them to back me up in my position as Chief Pilot for an airline among other things.

You see the problem with enforcement of the law within TC is political considerations very often get in the way of real enforcement.

So I would be more than pleased to try and share my thoughts and give some suggestions on how TC can better perform their " duty " as the regulator.

But first allow me to ask you a question.

Then after I ask the question I shall address our DGCA and what to expect from that office.

First the question.

Do you believe that TC does not know that operators are ignoring the regulations, and that they are not able to identify the culprits?

Now to our DGCA, I must state that he is either lacking in comprehension skills or he has a different moral outlook on his responsibilities than I would have expected of a person in that office.

I personally believe that his comprehension skills are not the problem, as he had sufficient evidence of corruption within TC Civil Aviation not only documented but presented to him by the Director of "Quality Assurance " ( another oxymoron. ) to have possibly taken a more moral position than the position he took, when clear evidence of moral corruption within the upper management of TC Civil Aviation was presented to him.

Here is his position in writing and signed by him with regard to the foregoing.

Quote:

" I find their handling of this matter to be quite satisfactory and they have my full support" .

Shall we continue with my opinions and suggestions regarding the manner in which we are regulated?

Before we go any further I take full responsibility for my statements on this matter and should anyone including the DGCA wish to bring charges of lible against me here is where to find me.

Chuck Ellsworth
290 Deer Lane
Nanaimo B.C.
V9T 4Y2

Canadian pilot license's # A38841 and DO38841

That should protect Kyle and this forum. Because they can deal directly with me.

Back