Chances Of Flying In The Airforce

Dustinb1313

May 10, 2004
Hey, Im new here. I just wanted to know some information about the Air Force.
I only have high school courses with not the geatest grades, If i was to get my pilots licence and commercial pilots licence what would my chances of becomming a pilot in the Air Force be. I would love to fly a cf-18, but I know this is hard to do because we don't have many. I also wouldn't mind flying a heliocopter either.
One more thing, when your doing your flight traing do you have to live on base for those years? I am living with my girlfriend and was wondering if your able to live off base or how that works.
Thanks alot for any info

Have you considered taking some kind of night classes to improve your grades? It might make it easier to get into the flying programs. :)

Grades do play an important part of your selection, but are just part of what recruiters look at. Probably the biggest part of being selected is the medical portion. This is where most people fall out of the running. Another important thing, and another item beyond your control, is timing. The CF fluctuates between opening and closing the CEOTP program. This is the only entry program that will let someone into the Forces straight out of highschool. You might try RMC, though...?

A commercial licence will help you with selection, as it shows motivation. The civilian Class 1 medical will also point out obvious health flaws if you have any. You can live off base, or in PMQs, during any phase of your flight training, but not during Basic Officer Training (though I stand to be corrected!).

Well, don't be too discouraged about it. I graduated high school in 1997 with about a 71% average - not the best when compared with some competitors. I went to University for a while and didn't do so great there either. I then worked for a while, got my Private Pilot Licence, and began working on my Commercial Licence. I also joined a local Army Reserve Unit. I volunteered where I could, and did what I could to prove I was the kind of character the Canadian Forces were looking for. When the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan opened up a year ago, I submitted an application for pilot. I was chosen for Aircrew Selection and passed. Then some time afterward I was accepted and transfered from my Reserve Unit to the Air Force. Point being, my grades weren't so great (high school or university). If you are serious and want it bad enough, you can do what it takes to get in. Take some night classes. Enroll in a civilian flight school. Join a reserve unit. Work on, or complete, a university degree (because you will need it). Show the Canadian Forces that you're serious, you're a good candidate, and you're trustworthy to fly their aircraft. Make these things your goals, and you will be successful. Also, you will be away from your girlfriend for some time, but it's not too much...we all have to! It's not easy, but there's a lot of support.

T

Sorry, I forgot to mention my grades were below those of Krome and I got selected! Had commercial licence, college diploma and some university though...Anyway, point is don't give up, try to improve yourself, your grades, and try to learn about the military (A/C, types of missions CF performs, etc) and current events (newspaper, TV) before doing your recruitment interview at the CFRC. Also, don't be discouraged if it takes a llloooonnnnggggg time for your paperwork to go through. Believe me, it happens.....

It definately does take a long time. I applied in August, went for aircrew selection in November, and received my acceptance in March - all for a transfer. But well worth the wait. Like we've been telling you, do what you can to make yourself a worthy candidate, and you can get there.

Latest posts

Back