Change In Carryon Policy?

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I recently became aware of an experience of a fellow traveler, who was not permitted to take his small rollaboard onto a PSA flight. He was told it was due to FAA regulations regarding weight and balance. What irked him most of all was not the "rule" itself, which sounds suspicious, but the fact that another passenger was permitted to bring on board a duffle bag twice the size and weight of the rollaboard, and which could not fit in the overhead, and had to go under a seat.

Can any of those in the know clarify any policy change or rules regarding PSA? At best it's designed to keep overheads clear of items which don't fit, at worst, it's just another rule made for the sake of making rules.

I appreciate any comments and information.

My best to you all......

Where would a rollaboard go on a PSA flight? I always thought rollaboards were gate checked on all Express flights (except MAA). I think a lightly packed crew size Travelpro can be stuffed into those small overheads on a CRJ, but obviously they can't allow passenger rollaboards as only a quarter of the passengers would take up the entire bin space.

Each carrier does have thier own baggage policies though, and I'd imagine weight and balance issues dependent on aircraft type.

On August 8th, PSA began a new weight and balance program which was approved by the FAA. The new policy puts almost all carry-ons in the rear, except for small bags like a computer bag or 'purse'. Nobody knows why this happened, but they have removed a 2nd coffee maker and reduced portable oxygen bottles and all non-essential safety equipment. Even as far as moving a small package of light bulbs to a location more rearward. The CR2's have a very nose heavy balance point. This is the only reason for this absurdity. Make the rear fuller and the nose lighter. As far as I know, other commuter carriers were offered the same program. Piedmont choose to remain status quo for the time being. I think that S5(Shuttle America) has some form of this new program too.

PS. A strategically packed Rollaboard can fit in the overhead compartment in the CR2/CR7 and the E145/135 jets. Unfortunately only working crew are allowed to stow them there from now on and in a specified bin#.

Just as some added info. It wasn't just a change by PSA, The FAA changed the advisory circular regarding weight and balance systems. In this, each airline had to choose between a carryon policy or non-carryon policy. Within this choice there are different standard weights for pax and bags depending on which road you take. By taking the non-carryon policy you actually get a relief of pax weights, but take a little hit on planside checked bags. I believe the thinking was on most flights not everyone has a carryon bag and net net would help in the bumping of people and bags when they are weight restricted. Otherwise with a carryon policy the people weights went way up and would result in a few more restrictions when weight restricted.

Art it all depends on what the carrier chose to use as far as a carry-on baggage program under the new FAA Advisory Circular (AC) 120-27E.

If the carrier chooses to have a carry-on baggage program, average passenger weights go up. Here's what the AC says:

"b. The standard average passenger weights in Table 2-1 include 5 pounds for summer clothing, 10 pounds for winter clothing, and a 16-pound allowance for personal items and carry-on bags. Where no gender is given, the standard average passenger weights are based on the assumption that 50 percent of passengers are male and 50 percent of passengers are female. "

SUMMER
Average Adult 190 lbs
Average Adult male 200 lbs
Average Adult female 179 lbs
Average Child (age 2 to 13) 82 lbs

WINTER
Average Adult 195 lbs
Average Adult male 205 lbs
Average Adult female 184 lbs
Average Child (age 2 to 13) 87 lbs

Now if you don't have a carry-on baggage program which is what Piedmont and I believe PSA has this is the guidance from the FAA:

"a. An operator with a no-carry-on bag program may allow passengers to carry only personal items aboard the aircraft. Because these passengers do not have carry-on bags, an operator may use standard average passenger weights that are 6 pounds lighter than those for an operator with an approved carry-on bag program. See Table 2-2."

SUMMER
Average Adult 184lbs
Average Adult male 294 lbs
Average Adult female 173 lbs
Average Child (age 2 to 13) 76 lbs

WINTER
Average Adult 189 lbs
Average Adult male 199 lbs
Average Adult female 178 lbs
Average Child (age 2 to 13) 81 lbs

Here's the rule about on what is allowed on board and what isn't:

"b. An operator that has a no-carry-on bag program may account for a plane-side loaded bag as 20 pounds. To receive authorization to use 20 pounds as the average weight for a plane-side loaded bag, an operator should demonstrate that sufficient controls exist to ensure that passengers do not bring carry-on bags aboard the aircraft. An operator also should demonstrate that sufficient controls exist to ensure the personal items brought aboard the aircraft can fit completely under a passenger seat or in an approved stowage compartment."

And finally, here's the the FAA definition of a "personal item"

"25. Personal item. Items the operator may allow a passenger to carry aboard, in addition to a carry-on bag. Typically, an operator may allow one personal item such as a purse, briefcase, computer and case, camera and case, diaper bag, or an item of similar size. Other items, such as coats, umbrellas, reading material, food for immediate consumption, infant restraining device, and passenger assist/comfort animals and devices, are allowed to be carried on the aircraft and are not counted against the personal item allowance."

Pretty vague huh?

Hopefully this helps you see the difficulty of the new weight and balance program each airline was required to comply with.