Message to Retirees RE: Pass Policy

PQAKnow-It-All

Advanced
Nov 6, 2005
Tempe
www.ringofdestiny.org
Dear US Airways Retirees,
Since we published the recent change to the boarding priority for retirees, I have received many emails concerned about the approach we are taking and asking us to reconsider. I appreciate hearing from you. It is clear that US Airways retirees with 20 or more years of service, who have, up to this point, traveled at the same boarding priority as active employees, feel strongly about their ability to retain that privilege. I want you to know my thinking about this issue.

I appreciate your concern and am sorry if you believe the policy to be unfair. Please understand that we are working very hard to integrate two companies with different policies and expectations and are trying as best we can to do so in a way that is fair and equitable to all employees.

In regard to retiree boarding priorities, the policy differed at the two companies. AWA (like most airlines) has had a slightly lower priority for retirees while US left retirees with 20 or more years of service in the same boarding priority as active employees. In these cases of differing policies (which are numerous) we ask ourselves, “what is most fair?â€￾ or alternatively, “if we were starting a new airline, how would we handle this?â€￾ In this case we decided the most fair policy is to have a separate boarding policy for retirees.

The rationale is that our retirees have scheduling flexibility that our active employees do not have and therefore are better able to plan their trips around lower load factor periods of the week.

One feature of the AWA retiree pass policy that I am pleased will continue for all is the “vacation pass.â€￾ This gives the retiree and eligible family members the highest space available boarding priority for round trip travel once a year, enabling them to go on that most important trip of the year with much better boarding security. The vacation pass will be available for all retirees in March when we expect to implement many of the electronic changes necessary to the new travel program.

I recognize that overall this is not the answer that you wanted to hear and that you may not agree with the rationale. One of the worst parts of this merger has been making decisions that we know will be adversely viewed by some set of our employees no matter what we decide. This is one those. Rest assured, though, that we did give it a lot of thought and I would not expect to see it reconsidered.

This decision is not by any means, though, an indication of a lack of respect for our retirees. To the contrary, we have tremendous respect for our retirees and the work that you have done to allow US Airways to be here today. Our retiree pass policy (which now includes free travel for all retirees and full retiree privileges for any employee who has an age an service total of 65 years) is as good or better as any in the industry and is reflective of that respect.

Thanks again for your emails and, more importantly, thanks for your many years of service to US Airways.

Doug Parker

Dear US Airways Retirees,
Since we published the recent change to the boarding priority for retirees, I have received many emails concerned about the approach we are taking and asking us to reconsider. I appreciate hearing from you. It is clear that US Airways retirees with 20 or more years of service, who have, up to this point, traveled at the same boarding priority as active employees, feel strongly about their ability to retain that privilege. I want you to know my thinking about this issue.

Smoooth talker ... this DP! No matter how he has his script writer "spin" it .... he has screwed Dedicated Retirees out of a hard earned and valued Benefit! He sees no value in Retirees ..... so this is no big suprise!

I sense this is just the beginning .......

2B

**Moderator Note: Please refrain from quoting a lengthy post. It just makes it easier for everyone to read follow-on posts. Thank you.**

Smoooth talker ... this DP! No matter how he has his script writer "spin" it .... he has screwed Dedicated Retirees out of a hard earned and valued Benefit! He sees no value in Retirees ..... so this is no big suprise!

2B

In all honesty, I don't believe (and my belief is just like an opinion-mine alone) that DP is trying to screw anyone out of anything. I think the most important part was his mention of merging two very different airlines and TRYING to make all the policies the best between the two. And he knows, as well as we all do, that not everyone will be happy with those decisions. Plus the statement of looking at things as if it is a NEW airline....which in all essence, it is a new airline.

Best of luck to all us.

:down: :down: :down: Whats the point. So i leave after 25 years, retire, and now go at a LOWER priority that someone whos brand spankin new..HOW PATHETIC.... Didnt get SQUAT for leaving US, so my business, full fare and better serivce, will now go to JET BLUE and soon VIRGIN AMERICA. No point in having airline benefits, they dont F...N exist.
Better off going full fare ( cheap fare ) on A REAL airline. Will also make it a point to direct family and friends to now fly JET BLUE and VIRGIN. What a waste of 25 years! :down: :down: :down: :down:

Will also make it a point to direct family and friends to now fly JET BLUE and VIRGIN. What a waste of 25 years! :down: :down: :down: :down:

Those of us left here who are not in the decision making process and are too young to retire appreciate your support. :down: :down:

(And no I dont agree with the retirees getting a step below active, but its done.)

:down: :down: :down: Whats the point. So i leave after 25 years, retire, and now go at a LOWER priority that someone whos brand spankin new..HOW PATHETIC....

We are talking flying benefits, but how would you say your pay compared to that brand spanking new hire? Would that comparsion be pathetic? Maybe they would trade you your previous pay for the upgrade in boarding priority? I don't want to sound trite, but let's keep things in perspective. Don't be angry or envious of the new hire. They are responsible for you being able to use your current retiree flying benefit. They deserve your respect as much as they should respect your prior service.

:down: :down: :down: Whats the point. So i leave after 25 years, retire, and now go at a LOWER priority that someone whos brand spankin new..HOW PATHETIC.... Didnt get SQUAT for leaving US, so my business, full fare and better serivce, will now go to JET BLUE and soon VIRGIN AMERICA. No point in having airline benefits, they dont F...N exist.
Better off going full fare ( cheap fare ) on A REAL airline. Will also make it a point to direct family and friends to now fly JET BLUE and VIRGIN. What a waste of 25 years! :down: :down: :down: :down:

If it wasn't this, you'd find something else to complain about. Direct you family and freinds away. You probably complained about everything you has here for the last 25 years anyway. God know you were paid pretty damn good up until the last few years. And if you retired before the paycut, then you even made out better. Again, noby promised you a rose garden pal, so get off your hign horse and grow up. Geez.

We are talking flying benefits, but how would you say your pay compared to that brand spanking new hire? Would that comparsion be pathetic?

Geez Eric.......what are you talking about. We are talking about flight benefits here. Everyone who is a new hire starts out at the bottom, but suddenly they have jumped ahead of some veterans. Pay raises, healthcare, flight benefits, and retiree benefits are given to employees to entice them to stay. An experienced employee makes for a smooth operation. A high turnover rate is not good for business. A new hire does not expect to start out at top of scale.

We are talking flying benefits, but how would you say your pay compared to that brand spanking new hire? Would that comparsion be pathetic?

Well, I cant remember what I started out pay wise as a new hire. We can check back 33 years from now to check and see what the current new hires are making. Oh wait, they wont be working for US. The career airline employee is just about dead. For that matter of fact, career ANYTHING is just about dead. Corporate America has seen to that. I advise anyone considering a job at an airline to reconsider though. There is NO reason at all to stay anymore. Hell, the airlines dont WANT you to stay.

(I just drank my Kool-Aid)

Just as a side note - irregardless of what he said, I would say at least it is admirable that he actually is attempting to address the concerns of people who are no longer working for the company.....

Personally, I like the way it is done at AMR.

1. Only revenue passengers of all types and employees traveling on company business--which includes deadheading cockpit and cabin crews--have priority over non-revving ACTIVE employees. Active employee's spouse/domestic partner/registered companion and employee's minor children share this priority (D1/D2).
2. Active employee parents (D2P category) and retirees share the next level of priority.
3. "Buddy pass" flyers(D3) are next.
4. I think employees of other airlines are next.

What I like most, though, is that actual boarding priority within a category is based on sign-in time. No one can sign-in for the flight more than 4 hours prior to departure. There is a time-stamp on your sign-in; so, no one can claim they signed in earlier than they actually did. That way if it's a 0600 flight and you are willing to get up at 0200 and sign-in on-line, you get priority over the person who thinks they can just walk up to the counter and get on.

There are a lot of employees who for one reason or another HAVE to commute to work from another city. I do not think that someone who is retired and has more flexibility in their schedule should get priority boarding over an active employee.

We are talking flying benefits, but how would you say your pay compared to that brand spanking new hire? Would that comparsion be pathetic? Maybe they would trade you your previous pay for the upgrade in boarding priority? I don't want to sound trite, but let's keep things in perspective. Don't be angry or envious of the new hire. They are responsible for you being able to use your current retiree flying benefit. They deserve your respect as much as they should respect your prior service.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: You have the missed the whole point. FYI, in my 25 years I was aLOYAL hardworking employee, gave 200%, stood up for the airline and loved my job. Now they tell us, retirees, oh you wait , let the "workin folks" get on before you, u have plenty of time on your hands. PURE BULLS#@T! I started a new career, a wonderful one actually, and feel like once again, i've been screwed by the airline i gave my heart and soul to. I'm glad to be out of the airline industry, its a mess and will get messier. Retiree benefits are worth NOTHING!!! I'd rather pay per segment ( service charge ) and keep my senority. I worked long and hard for it and deserve something for it. Remember, the people who came BEFORE you made the airline, not the reverse!! By retiring, I made ROOm for the new hire, there should be some form of respect for that!

Just another indication that an airline job is no longer a career. The Vacation Pass is a nice idea, I guess.

What I like most, though, is that actual boarding priority within a category is based on sign-in time. No one can sign-in for the flight more than 4 hours prior to departure. There is a time-stamp on your sign-in; so, no one can claim they signed in earlier than they actually did.

Could someone sign in for whole bunch of flights?

He sees no value in Retirees ..... so this is no big suprise!

2B
Of course not. Retirees are only a liability, like it or not. Just exactly what do you contend the value of retirees is to an organization? The cutting of all sorts of retiree benefits has been an ongoing process throughout all sectors of the US economy. Have you looked at your healthcare plan lately? The reality is, retirees have NONE, except for what they buy, or a government provided plan (medicare). It ain't gonna get any better for the guys still working, either!