Charlotte/Douglas to begin Runway Construction

Actually, the terminal plan calls for a new international terminal north of concourse A (where the rental car lots are now), extending concourse E to the north, what presumably is a new ticket counter/baggage claim facility about where the north side of the present short-term parking garage is, and adding a "leg" to concourse B extending west (making it look like a reversed "L").

Jim
I just hope they can find some spare $$$ to sort out the D and E concourse mixup. Luftansia pushing all hold.

Actually, the terminal plan calls for a new international terminal north of concourse A (where the rental car lots are now), extending concourse E to the north, what presumably is a new ticket counter/baggage claim facility about where the north side of the present short-term parking garage is, and adding a "leg" to concourse B extending west (making it look like a reversed "L").

Jim
E con north expansion starts now, taxiline was just moved north so aircraft can taxi around building construction. The next phase of E will be a turn to the east and then it will turn south. I believe the intl concourse may be on hold, there was talk of moving the rental cars to the Moores Park neighborhood with the car return going to the lower level of the East/West parking decks, but now there is talk of tearing down the East/West deck expanding the ticketing level out and widening the upper/lower level roadways, but that hinges on a new deck being built on Wilkenson & Rodwell Rds...

Here's a thought...

Do you think that they'll call the new runway 18R/36L and change the current 18R/36L to 18C/36C or will they make the new runway 17/35 to avoid confusion with pilots that are used to the runway currently known as 18R/36L? I know the third parallel that recently opened in STL was named 11/29 instead of having 12L/12C/12R.

Yes, Art - to the west, presumably making it the new 18R/36L with the current one becoming 18C/36C. There's a map on page 4 of this PDF file.

Jim
Pretty cool airport layout plan. Next, it would be a great idea to see CLT extend RWY 5-23 from 7500' to 10,000'. I'd bet at a large hub airport with 3 parallel runways a nice long cross wind runway (10,000')would be welcomed.

Here's a thought...

Do you think that they'll call the new runway 18R/36L and change the current 18R/36L to 18C/36C or will they make the new runway 17/35 to avoid confusion with pilots that are used to the runway currently known as 18R/36L? I know the third parallel that recently opened in STL was named 11/29 instead of having 12L/12C/12R.
Current 18R/36L will be changed to 18C/36C, signage has been ordered already...

Anyone have a link with the proposed new terminal additions??? A pic of said things.

Hopefully with the E gates, they will put enough jetways on this, to keep from having to make the E side looking like a greyhound/trailer park boarding area...

Anyone have a link with the proposed new terminal additions??? A pic of said things.

Hopefully with the E gates, they will put enough jetways on this, to keep from having to make the E side looking like a greyhound/trailer park boarding area...

mplanview1.JPG

they have begun construction on E. It's not the complete expansion of course because they still have a ton of dirt to fill in and ramp to lay out to the railroad but the initial phase is adding 6 gates. that should be open by summer 07. Tentatively they are supposed to have 6 jetways along with them but you know how that goes.

Eventually when all is completed on E it will be a 50 gate concouse with its own ramp control tower.

this of couse will be extremely interesting considering only 1 A/C at a time can pass at the end of D

Sounds great.

I'm sure WN can't wait to get enough gates to operate 150 or so daily flights from CLT. Who wants to fly on an RJ when you can fly in a brand new B737 anyway?

Back