Chicago Express / Ata Connection

rocaduro

Aug 20, 2002
Now that Chicago Express is on the market with it's two owned and 14 leased aircraft. Routes, gates and other assorted equpment. Plus 600 employees. What is it's worth? Both to the carrier ATA, and to the market as well as it's value for the customers.

thoughts?

Well, it certainly adds value in that you can connect in MDW to several destinations not served by ATA or Southwest.

I took ATA to MDW and then flew on Chicago Express to FNT once. It's your typical Saab340.

Well, the first guy, Robinson I think his name is, offered something like $40K for it, saying $40K would cover the transfer of ownership costs for ATA... That says that he's trying to buy it for just about nothing. (I think that was the short version of what I read from the Indy Star.)

As an operating entity, I am not sure what it is worth. However, as an operating certificate, some kind of MDW operation, and a platform for RJ growth, it may be worth something more than $0 (or $40K)

Oh I agree. Far West Airlines has had their 121 cert on the market for $ 1 million. Now that is not apples to apples however they had two DHC-7's ( previously had a 3rd ) and four airports listed. And most importantly no connections or tie-in or code shares.

BTW the $40 k price you refer to for Chicago Express includes forgiving a $14 million debt owed by ATA. And that bid has been revised down to $25,000.

Hmm a part 121 carrier and two owned Saab's, 14 leased ones and gates ect. for lesss than a used Cessna 172

go figure

You know looking at the route maps, that would be an interesting combo. If not a merger / buyout, then a code hook-up deal.

Just an update on this post - since I seem to be the only Colgan or Chicago Express crew member here - We (Colgan) did take most of CE's aircraft and put them on our CAL contract in IAH that started in March. I understand we purchased some ground equipment from them too - but I have yet to see any at any of our stations.
I'd like to see some more Colgan Posts on here since we have no other forum that I an aware of!
- BCD

BCDurbin said:
Just an update on this post - since I seem to be the only Colgan or Chicago Express crew member here - We (Colgan) did take most of CE's aircraft and put them on our CAL contract in IAH that started in March. I understand we purchased some ground equipment from them too - but I have yet to see any at any of our stations.
I'd like to see some more Colgan Posts on here since we have no other forum that I an aware of!
- BCD
[post="288931"][/post]​

Are you saying that Colgan has already purchased CE's Saabs and ground equipment? Why haven't we read this anywhere? Do you know of any news articles covering this?

realtime said:
Are you saying that Colgan has already purchased CE's Saabs and ground equipment? Why haven't we read this anywhere? Do you know of any news articles covering this?
[post="289060"][/post]​

All but 2 of the CE airplanes were leased from AMR. Colgan simply bought them from AMR( the registrations say Colgan not AMR so I am assuming we have bought these) after they were returned. I picked one up in ABI from AMR in CE colors it has since been painted in Continental colors. As far as the ground equipment I dont know but I do know we bought a lot from Skywest and I wouldnt be surprised if we got some from CE. The 2 CE owned Saabs are sitting at the ATA hangar in IND as of right now.

chickenpilot said:
All but 2 of the CE airplanes were leased from AMR. Colgan simply bought them from AMR( the registrations say Colgan not AMR so I am assuming we have bought these) after they were returned. I picked one up in ABI from AMR in CE colors it has since been painted in Continental colors. As far as the ground equipment I dont know but I do know we bought a lot from Skywest and I wouldnt be surprised if we got some from CE. The 2 CE owned Saabs are sitting at the ATA hangar in IND as of right now.
[post="290897"][/post]​

Thanks...that's interesting. Good to see Colgan expanding anyways.

chickenpilot said:
[post="290897"][/post]​

Hey - so maybe I'm not the only Colgan pilot on here!
I heard we got some ground equipment from CE but it may have just been another rumor. I just wanted another A/C cart in LGA!! Not to mention someone to hook it up - but that's another thread. I'm sure if CE had equipment/parts that went with a Saab (ie tow bars etc.) then we probably picked them up.
As for the "News Release" - this is small stuff - it would have been tucked away on some back page! - BCD

BCDurbin said:
Hey - so maybe I'm not the only Colgan pilot on here!
I heard we got some ground equipment from CE but it may have just been another rumor. I just wanted another A/C cart in LGA!! Not to mention someone to hook it up - but that's another thread. I'm sure if CE had equipment/parts that went with a Saab (ie tow bars etc.) then we probably picked them up.
As for the "News Release" - this is small stuff - it would have been tucked away on some back page! - BCD
[post="292132"][/post]​

Turns out that ATA has asked the courts to approve its sale of two 340Bs to Colgan. Decision handed down next week.

what happened to everyone at chicago express?, if you worked there (flight crews and inflight crews) let me know what you are doing now, I flew as a f/a for them for 2 years and left right before all the SH** hit the fan, take care and hope that you are all doing well.......... :D

Latest posts

Back