China Flights- will it happen ?

Wel if the route is not that essential to U and they threaten to "give it back" due to a gate issue, maybe the route should be awarded to another carrier. I enjoy someone sticking it to U!!!!! :up:

It Sucks to get Screwed doesn't it Dougie????? :up: :up: Make you feel like an employee!!! :angry:

Wel if the route is not that essential to U and they threaten to "give it back" due to a gate issue, maybe the route should be awarded to another carrier. I enjoy someone sticking it to U!!!!! :up:

It Sucks to get Screwed doesn't it Dougie????? :up: :up: Make you feel like an employee!!! :angry:
dougie is not the one getting screwed here if this does not happen. the employees are and so is the city of phl. with no expansion and some flt cutback people might lose their jobs. remember it was not this managemnt team who screwed phl. infact, they have tried to bulid phl up but have had to do alot of damge control due to previous mangement. they need to tear down the old overseas terminal and build sw their own terminal over there. isdell had a hard on to screw usairways . it might turn around and bite him and the city in the ass. isdell and sw thought usairways was a gonner and he promised sw the world once usairways was out of the picture. well guess what stupid move cause we are still here and not going anywhere. wn can't always get what they want neither. there are plans to fly to tlv,ist,moscow,beijing,tokyo,birmingham,dubai, mumbai(bombay) and others but this only can happen if these gates stay intl gates and not domestic gates.

Did anyone analyze US' position on China? Most Asian routes leave in the morning to mid-day on the east coast. This is before the banks of flights coming from Europe, so there should be gate empty to handle it before the Europe flights. I think it shows more management incompetence in not being able to plan and execute on a plan as a reason for thier inflexiblity.

I did. Did you? The flight returns at 4pm....right in the middle of the transatlantic rush.

I really can't believe he did this. This is a BAD move threatening a major "democratic" machine right in front of a highly probable national Democratic win next year. I think it clearly illustrates how frustrated Parker is with loosing the DL takeover and then getting them thrown onto what he considers his "home turf". The China authority cannot be transferred to another US city. If US cancels the offer, the DOT will award the route (not PHL) to a carrier/route which applied, but was not awarded. If the alternate carrier does not accept, I would only speculate the DOT may solicit offers from other carriers for PHL - but that's just a guess since there doesn't seem to be any DOT precedent.

As I said before, my position on this is with US - not for the airline, but because I feel it's a waste of a very valuable resource to (permanently) place domestic routes onto international gates and services. Also, PHL has already budgeted $15M-20M for 2008 to have A-East refurbished to esthetically be compatible with A-West - for what Delta?

My take on what will (should) happen is that the new Mayor (due in January) will now direct the airport to delay the Delta move until he reviews the situation.

A lot of this will depend on what kind of mayor Nutter is going to be. Two terms of Rendell and Street in the midst of expansion and then 9/11, two bankruptcies and almost lights out, then a merger/purchase of US have probably left a lot of distrust of US. That said, it boggles me that Philadelphia is doing what Philadelphia does best--not look out for its own.

How many Philadelphians does SW employ here? It can't be that many. How many does US? It has already been pointed out that Philadelphia benefits more from International pax than the Florida crowd that it originates. As usual, Philly never lives up to its potential, you'd think they would be planning more tourism friendly moves, not less. Philadelphia is one of the few major American cities with no real metro, sorry that L thing doesn't count and the antiquated train system. . . uh uh.

The usual answer is where is the money? In this case it's from US. SW and D won't generate the revenue that China and Europe will, so if there is going to be the use of People Movers why aren't they telling SW or D that they're the ones that are going to use them? Or how about Air France, BA or Lufthansa? What's so hard about this? What are the rules about those things anyway? Who determines who draws a people mover that day? The only thing that makes sense here is that SW has spread some money around.

By the way, the idea that those things are acceptable should be put to bed forever. Customers hate them, crew hate them and the company hates them. They put the affected company at a disadvantage plain and simple. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter how ethical/unethical this management is, Philadelphia benefits from a better relationship with US, and facilitating the international gate issue is a no brainer. But that's the thing, Philly doesn't always do what is in Philly's best interest, and that Mr. Parker, presents a wild card. Who's gonna fold?

Imaginary aircraft to fly one route 18 months into the future...who can blame PHL

Imaginary aircraft to fly one route 18 months into the future...who can blame PHL

Oh my god, get over the fact that the aircraft are not on the property. Should you be required to have planes sitting on the ground 18 months before the start of a flight to get the authority? Hell no! That would be ridiculous. Applying for a route to start in the next 4-5 months....sure....but not 18 months into the future. DL, UA, AA, CO, NW, etc., may have planes in their fleet that are physically capable of flying the route, but that doesn't mean they have planes sitting there ready for the service. Technically, you can ask where are their planes coming from that are going to fly this route? It will obviously equate to either acquiring new planes or pulling down other flying or shifting capacity. No one should be required to have the planes on hand, ready for service 18 months prior.

Remember, PHL is in PA just as PIT is. Remember the senators that are POed at Doug? I would not be surprized if this is already payback for PIT from the state.

All of the discussion on this topic assumes that people will continue to want to fly on US to international destinations.

You wouldn't get me on a US flight to China in 100 years! US service is so bad and unreliable that I will gladly take a connection to China rather than spend 14 hours on one of the dirty, disgusting, cramped US planes with nasty mean flight attendants.

Also, don't forget that Newark is only an hour and 15 minute drive, or a one hour train ride, and you can fly on Continental to Europe with far superior service than you could ever hope to get out of PHL on US. And, when you book a Continental Europe flight they INCLUDE the Amtrak ticket from Philly right to the airport train station!

Oh my god, get over the fact that the aircraft are not on the property. Should you be required to have planes sitting on the ground 18 months before the start of a flight to get the authority? Hell no! That would be ridiculous. Applying for a route to start in the next 4-5 months....sure....but not 18 months into the future. DL, UA, AA, CO, NW, etc., may have planes in their fleet that are physically capable of flying the route, but that doesn't mean they have planes sitting there ready for the service. Technically, you can ask where are their planes coming from that are going to fly this route? It will obviously equate to either acquiring new planes or pulling down other flying or shifting capacity. No one should be required to have the planes on hand, ready for service 18 months prior.

Your argument makes sense standing alone. But, in the context of USAirways, I have to agree that USIYFARE has a valid point. It truly would be nonsensical to get a couple of A340s on the property 18 months before China service if that's all they might be good for. USAirways, however, certainly needs the long-haul lift and it just MIGHT be a good idea to get the ONE summer season (that's right, only ONE summer season left before China in March, 2009) in using the desperately needed airplane on transatlantic routes as a "shakedown" period. We're told that Doogie expects 3more European destinations in Summer, 2008, if he can get the gates. Why not get at least one 340 and use it on ATH rather than leave every day with seats blocked? What a concept...get the pilots trained WELL in advance and get a maintenance track record BEFORE the day you leave for Beijing.

12:15 is only fifteen minutes past noon--not the Europe rush hour :)

What are you talking about? PEK-PHL arrives at 1600....meaning 4pm.....meaning transatlantics rush. See below.

US AIRWAYS PROPOSED SCHEDULES

Summer Schedule
March 25, 2009-November 1, 2009
March 14, 2010-November 7, 2010

#889 CLT 0645 PHL 0821 B767-200
PHL 1010 PEK 1200+1 A340-300

#888 PEK 1400 PHL 1600 A340-300
PHL 1755 CLT 1943 B767-200

Winter Schedule
November 2, 2009-March 13, 2010
November 8, 2010-March 12, 2011

#889 CLT 0645 PHL 0821 B767-200