CIDS panel caution light

flygirl74

Senior
Nov 13, 2004
I notice whenever the "caution" light is illuminated and tell the pilots they say not to worry. Or better yet hit the reset button to turn it off. When the caution light is on there is a problem with the pressurization of the slides, or smoke detectors, or other safety features on the airplane. This just happened (again) on my last trip. We had to take a 321 and do a PHL- Florida turn. We noticed the two red dots of the caution light lit up on the f/a panel and told the pilots. After arguing with them maintenence was called. The mechanics came on board and opened all 8 doors. The doors have to be opened to read the gauges. Lo and behold the 2L door had ZERO pressure. If we had to use that door in an emergency, it would have failed. The mechanics had to bring out some nitrogen to reload the door and then we were off. So, please please don't "reset" the f/a panel...get this checked out. Our pilot was shocked and said that no one ever explained this to him or pilot group. The only reason I knew was a mechanic told me about it a couple years ago.

I notice whenever the "caution" light is illuminated and tell the pilots they say not to worry. Or better yet hit the reset button to turn it off. When the caution light is on there is a problem with the pressurization of the slides, or smoke detectors, or other safety features on the airplane. This just happened (again) on my last trip. We had to take a 321 and do a PHL- Florida turn. We noticed the two red dots of the caution light lit up on the f/a panel and told the pilots. After arguing with them maintenence was called. The mechanics came on board and opened all 8 doors. The doors have to be opened to read the gauges. Lo and behold the 2L door had ZERO pressure. If we had to use that door in an emergency, it would have failed. The mechanics had to bring out some nitrogen to reload the door and then we were off. So, please please don't "reset" the f/a panel...get this checked out. Our pilot was shocked and said that no one ever explained this to him or pilot group. The only reason I knew was a mechanic told me about it a couple years ago.

Great catch Flygirl!!!

We in the cockpit don't know everything. Most of us appreciate your help and input.

Thanks

A320 Driver

Red Lights = BAD

This is a shocking post to me. How could anyone routinely blow off a caution light in an AC like it is the "check engine" light in a taxicab? Oy!

While MOST would appreciate your telling them there ARE those out there that don't like to be told they don't know something about the a/c. Certainly from a coke slinger. Awesome that you caught that. :up:

I don't get it yet. Two posts have essentially said "great catch" as though this was a unique never-before-experienced issue. Yet we know it isn't according to the OP. I'd say rather "great job" in standing up for what just has to be following an established procedure.

Are there so many false alarm warning lights that they cannot be paid attention to?

Nobody else here thinks this sounds REALLY bad, that warning lights are routinely ignored?

The pressure you speak of was not the escape slide pressure. It is the door assist bottle pressure. The door could still be opened and the slide deployed. It would just require about the same amount of effort to open the door as on a B737.

The CIDS Caution light cannot be reset by pressing any buttons on the Flight Attendant Panel at the 1L Door. Perhaps they thought it was the potable water system reset you were describing.

I

The CIDS panel is a cabin system advisory panel. I think the acronym stands for Cabin Intercommunication Data System but I could be wrong. Nothing on it constitutes an emergency in and of itself. In other words, nothing illuminating on the CIDS panel (which is located in the forward cabin not the cockpit) requires an immediate reaction such as diverting to another aiport, advising air traffic control, etc.

We have separate, independent, cockpit displayed monitoring systems for the big stuff such as smoke, cabin pressure, cabin temperature, door unlocked, slide disarmed, etc. The cockpit crew should certainly be advised if the cabin crew sees a red light on the CIDS panel, but mainly in order to troubleshoot after landing. Had the flight operated with only two pilots onboard, they would have never known. I suppose AIRBUS decided in designing the systems that the pilots did not need to know.

Perhaps, in light of the scenario above, our procedures should be reevaluated. Send in a safety report.

Of course, if you run out of potable water on a long flight, a diversion may be in order just for public safety/ hygiene reasons.

Of course, if you run out of potable water on a long flight, a diversion may be in order just for public safety/ hygiene reasons.

On the A320 Family, potable water is required to assist in flushing the vacuum toilets. If you run out of potable water, you very well may have to divert for just this reason.

It has happened. At around $15,000 per diversion, it is always prudent to check the water and lavs prior to departure. A flight attendant responsibility, but has been overlooked while they attend to their additional boarding duties and catering checks.

It's frustrating when you try to pat someone on the back for doing a good job and it's not taken for face value. How did this thread get so distorted?

A320 Driver <_<