Civics Lesson

boxer

Veteran
Feb 28, 2003
SFO
OK. This may be considered political, but read it through to the end.
It's short.

By KC Williams who teaches Government at Santa Fe High School .

In one of KC's classes, they were discussing the qualifications to be
president of the United States . It was pretty simple - the candidate
must be a natural born citizen of at least 35 years of age. However, one
girl in the class immediately started in on how unfair the requirement
was to be a natural born citizen.

In short, her opinion was that this requirement prevented many capable
individuals from becoming president.

KC and the class were just taking it in and letting her rant, but
everyone's jaw hit the floor when she wrapped up her argument by
stating, 'What makes a natural born citizen any more qualified to lead
this country than one born by C-section?'

And she too will vote and reproduce!!

I forget which late night host (perhaps all of them) goes out and asks political/geographic common knowledge stuff of people passing by. The fact that these people managed to get dressed let alone the fact that they can breed at will is scary.

Or, like the two well-dressed young Caucasian women (late teens/early 20s) who came to the back of the MD80 I was working recently. They looked at one lav door, then the other, then back to the first. Turned around and asked me, "What does vacant mean?" (I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "My guess would be the space between your ears.") :lol:

National Geographic geography test.

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

Full article here:

America 2nd to last above MX

I got one even worse...

A few years ago, they discovered that most high school students in Dallas, TX did not know what country was immediately south of the state of Texas. What makes this particularly bad is that students of Mexican/Hispanic heritage are the largest ethnic group of students in the public schools here.

Here's another civics lesson, for Obama supporters and detractors alike. Yesterday we elected a president, not a king. He cannot with a stroke of a pen enact whatever he wants. Our system is not set up that way.

Here's another civics lesson, for Obama supporters and detractors alike. Yesterday we elected a president, not a king. He cannot with a stroke of a pen enact whatever he wants. Our system is not set up that way.

Don't bet on it..........

Quote from Paul Begala

"Stroke of the pen. Law of the land. Kinda cool."

Quote by:

Paul Begala
Clinton presidential aide, July 1998

WJC- EO expert

No, I heard from some McCain supporters tha his top priorities would be (to sign an EO) making Islam the official religion of the US, changing the flag and deciding a new national anthem. You know, important things. :rolleyes: :blink: :ph34r:

Don't bet on what? The fact that he's not a king? I'll take that bet. Or the fact that he can't sign into law whatever he want's. I'll take that bet as well.

Your on.......

"Obama's advantage of course is he'll have the House and the Senate working with him, and that makes it easier," said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond. "But even then, having an immediate impact is very difficult to do because the machinery of government doesn't move that quickly."

Notable quote from your source, Dell: "Obama is reviewing President Bush's executive orders on those issues and others as he works to undo policies enacted during eight years of Republican rule. ".

If he is going to simply undo certain executive orders that were improperly ordered in the first place, then I am all for it. If he is going to do anything more than repeal an executive order, clarify existing law, or assist in the execution of current law, then I will be dissapointed.

Back