Class of Service Bonus Canceled

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
I have a transcon flight that I booked and I wanted to book an A fare. I called the US1 desk and YUP is the only fare offered. I asked if that fare offers a class of service bonus; the agent did not know but called someone. She came back on and said that "Class of Service Bonus program has been canceled". I asked if in general or only for the YUP and she said no more class of service bonuses.

If this is true, this is ridiculous!! They already removed the preferred bonus miles for B and Y fares which is not competitive with the major carriers. Now, what is this about no more class of service bonus being offered? This really can't be true--that would only encourage people to purchase low fare tickets.

I hope she is wrong...but you are correct...this will drive away a lot of high revenue customers if this is true....the A fare was great.

I still think it is ridiculous that I pay $1700 to SFO and I don't get preferred bonus miles.

That is stange, since i just got an email "boasting" the miles for class of service... Maybe A is technically not F anymore?????

If you look on the website...
Everyday affordable First Class fares
US Airways makes flying First Class affordable with our First Class fares.

Purchasing a First Class fare allows you to receive all of the benefits of First Class, including more room, expanded in-flight service and a 50% Preferred-qualifying Dividend Miles mileage bonus. Dividend Miles can be used for award travel to 842 destinations in 142 countries.
WebsiteLink

I know that the program just changed to what AWA has been doing, where if a FF books a seat, it automatically upgrades up to a week in advance, if seats are available.
Does this help or even make sense?

I know that the program just changed to what AWA has been doing, where if a FF books a seat, it automatically upgrades up to a week in advance, if seats are available.
Does this help or even make sense?

No, unfortunately it does not. US has or had what they called A fares. These fares are generally, but not always, restricted FC tickets. You were treated like you bought a FC ticket, but at a slightly reduced fare. Therefore, you would receive Class of Service Bonus miles that counted towards BOTH ticket redemption and preferred miles (I am more concerned about preferred miles). I know that the A fare existed in the SFO market last week, but it appears that they have all been pulled and switched to YUP fares. This is really lousy because you don't get class of service bonus for Y fares unless the YUP is treated as a FC fare. The bottom line is that there are a lot of high revenue customers that buy these fares and what they may be doing is going to encourage those customers, like me to purchase a cheaper ticket. I actually ended up booking a ticket that was $700 cheaper ($2000 v. $2700) than what I would have booked if the A fare remained. I booked A fares in May, but now they seem to be gone in June. Why would they do this?????????

No, unfortunately it does not. US has or had what they called A fares. These fares are generally, but not always, restricted FC tickets. You were treated like you bought a FC ticket, but at a slightly reduced fare. Therefore, you would receive Class of Service Bonus miles that counted towards BOTH ticket redemption and preferred miles (I am more concerned about preferred miles). I know that the A fare existed in the SFO market last week, but it appears that they have all been pulled and switched to YUP fares. This is really lousy because you don't get class of service bonus for Y fares unless the YUP is treated as a FC fare. The bottom line is that there are a lot of high revenue customers that buy these fares and what they may be doing is going to encourage those customers, like me to purchase a cheaper ticket. I actually ended up booking a ticket that was $700 cheaper ($2000 v. $2700) than what I would have booked if the A fare remained. I booked A fares in May, but now they seem to be gone in June. Why would they do this?????????

Well unfortunatly I can't help you! But thanks for educating me on the program.

YUP fares still receive the class of service bonus. The fare basis is YUP but the fare bucket is A. I just flew on one last week and got the class of service bonus. Old US in general kept the first letter of the fare basis in sync with the fare bucket, but many airlines (I guess HP) have never done this. UA is similar where QUP is ticketed into fare bucket A. Everyone needs to relax and get the facts before getting everyone all worked up.

Everyone needs to relax and get the facts before getting everyone all worked up.

Where exactly would you suggest "getting the facts", since it seems as the US1 desk was responsible for the (apparently) false information? If you can't trust calling the airline (which I agree you can't, what with the people running things), then what do you propose people should do?

I havent checked out the East side of things regarding fares recently, but I know the West side books in F and it tickets as a YUP or variation of that. YUP7/YUPAP3 or many other versions. Customers are basically paying full Y and getting the F seat. This is another reason that there arent as many upgrades day of departure. We're actually selling quite a few of the YUP fares to the West coast.

Where exactly would you suggest "getting the facts", since it seems as the US1 desk was responsible for the (apparently) false information? If you can't trust calling the airline (which I agree you can't, what with the people running things), then what do you propose people should do?

Any FF knows the "say thank you, hang up, call again" rule when you get an answer that you don't like or simply seems wrong.