Classic Twu International Weakness

Hackman

Veteran
Sep 30, 2003
Has anyone gotten the new twu Sellout Express yet? This is a classic issue. Normally, I do not read this twu garbage rag, I just throw it in file 13, but I see the twu railroad workers protesting the NMB (I thought the twu loved them?) so I was intrested. Protesting "user fees" fees in arbitration for the railroads. Yes, very unfair. So is submitting false eligibility lists for mechanic class and craft at AA.

However, the most glaring article that caught my eye is the Secretary-Treasurer's report by none other than the untouchable, unelected, and "old guy in office for life" John J. Kerrigan. He titles his article "Another Airline Spiral".

Here he starts out by talking about the current crisis in the airline industy and the concession vs. bankruptcy issue. He writes about a twu Sellout Express article he wrote in 1995; "Over the last fifteen years employees on many of these airlines have taken large reductions in pay, benefites and work rules in order to survive, even with the concessions." Well Johnny, since 1983 when the twu started the B-scale for the industry, we have taken it in the shorts with every AA/twu contract since. 1995 was one of the worst, AA went on to make record profits and the twu locks us in to a six year concessionary contract. When has the twu ever led the industry or even come close? The twu was close to leading in 2001, but another union, AMFA, (er, "splinter group" in twu speak) had to set the bar for wage and benefits, because the twu could not. AMFA went all the way to a PEB against NWA and were getting ready to walk. AMFA had fought hard, finally negotiating best contract ever for NWA and the rest of the industry, the twu then just rode the wave in boasting all the while that they some how negotiated an ILC. Look at were we are now, the worst twu concessions in history, fifty years of negotiations.... almost all gone. AA is still losing millions, more twu layoffs, and its looking like more twu concessions are on the way.

Then you get to the bottom paragraph of the article and the true twu comes on like the plague. He accounts the current situation is caused by; "Predatory competition brought on by deregulation of the industry is the primary cause for this crisis." Oh really? Nothing to do with any sort of airline mismanagement? Your joking right Johnny? You wouldn't want to step on any of your friends toes at the corporate level now would you Johnny? Sunny Hall wouldn't like it either if you upset all his management friends that attended his retirement party.

Then he states; "The question is not so much what the cause is, but what to do about it. Its seems most carriers have decided that taking back employee wage and benefits is the only answer. The leaves organized employees with two choices. Either they make realistic adjustments or let the carrier fold. Indeed I have heard some people claim that it would be better to put the carriers out of business thereby allowing the survivers to become stronger." Well geez Johnny, what do you call realistic? What the twu gave away to the company in one swoop of Do-littles pen? Or maybe what the iam has agreed to four times at US Air with the company asking employees to work free? US Air is still losing money with all these massive concessions aren't they? Just keep on giving in to the companies demands while they still have the same failed business plan and the same top heavy management numbers. What has the twu International given? Have you taken a 25% pay cut Johnny? No, you got a raise last year! Don't tell us to keep giving while you sit in your plush Broadway office in New York and watch your six-figure salary and life time retirement roll in!!!

The last pargraph sickens me. It states; "Others say the concessions show the unions to be weak. Just the opposite is the case. Yes, the unions could be super militant and refuse to negotiate. The goal of the unions has always been to get the best possible contract under the existing circumstances at the least cost."
At least the union-covered employees have a choice, but the choice is not easy. Ten years ago, I wrote: "Anyone familiar with the industry knows that a few good quarters are no insurance that good time are here to stay. But let's enjoy it while it lasts.
This industry is not going away and good times will return, so any adjustment should be temporary."

I just shake my head in disbelief Johnny. Super militant? You mean like the twu has been? The twu has given in since 1968, the last time they ever fought with a strike or even a threat of one. Since that year its been business unionism 101. Keep the dues flowing. Keep the membership down, no dissension allowed. Deny the membership the right to vote on twu International officers so old out-of-touch guys like you can stay in office for life. Tell the membership what the company wants them to hear. Scare them with lies. Tell them the company is going into Chapter 7 liquidation. Tell them they are just lucky to have a job. Put out worthless twu surveys that claim they are going to change, but never allow it. They believed it before, they will believe it again.

Game over Johnny, your twu is finished at AA for mechanic and related.

Hackman said:
He accounts the current situation is caused by; "Predatory competition brought on by deregulation of the industry is the primary cause for this crisis." Game over Johnny, your twu is finished at AA for mechanic and related.
[post="250860"][/post]​

That's funny, I guess he forgot that the twu was one of the leading union voices in support of deregulation. They saw more dues from a deregulated industry. I think "pickled johnny" is suffering from some memory loss.

Hackman said:
Then he states; "The question is not so much what the cause is, but what to do about it. Its seems most carriers have decided that taking back employee wage and benefits is the only answer. The leaves organized employees with two choices. Either they make realistic adjustments or let the carrier fold. Indeed I have heard some people claim that it would be better to put the carriers out of business thereby allowing the survivers to become stronger." Well geez Johnny, what do you call realistic? What the twu gave away to the company in one swoop of Do-littles pen? Or maybe what the iam has agreed to four times at US Air with the company asking employees to work free? US Air is still losing money with all these massive concessions aren't they? Just keep on giving in to the companies demands while they still have the same failed business plan and the same top heavy management numbers. What has the twu International given? Have you taken a 25% pay cut Johnny? No, you got a raise last year! Don't tell us to keep giving while you sit in your plush Broadway office in New York and watch your six-figure salary and life time retirement roll in!!!

The last pargraph sickens me. It states; "Others say the concessions show the unions to be weak. Just the opposite is the case. Yes, the unions could be super militant and refuse to negotiate. The goal of the unions has always been to get the best possible contract under the existing circumstances at the least cost."
At least the union-covered employees have a choice, but the choice is not easy. Ten years ago, I wrote: "Anyone familiar with the industry knows that a few good quarters are no insurance that good time are here to stay. But let's enjoy it while it lasts.
This industry is not going away and good times will return, so any adjustment should be temporary."

I just shake my head in disbelief Johnny. Super militant? You mean like the twu has been? The twu has given in since 1968, the last time they ever fought with a strike or even a threat of one. Since that year its been business unionism 101. Keep the dues flowing. Keep the membership down, no dissension allowed. Deny the membership the right to vote on twu International officers so old out-of-touch guys like you can stay in office for life. Tell the membership what the company wants them to hear. Scare them with lies. Tell them the company is going into Chapter 7 liquidation. Tell them they are just lucky to have a job. Put out worthless twu surveys that claim they are going to change, but never allow it. They believed it before, they will believe it again.
Game over Johnny, your twu is finished at AA for mechanic and related.
[post="250860"][/post]​

Well we shouldnt be so selfish. The TWU has to preserve the dues base at ANY cost. Otherwise how could they fund their generous payroll and even more generous pension?

Why do I get the feeling that the next TWU/AA lovefest video will be asking us to make another 500 million in "realistic adjustments"?

Back