Clt Observer On Cwa - Company Meeting

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
US Airways asks agents to give up $122 million

Union Official: "We'll try out best to attain it, but I don't know yet whether it's attainable"

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - US Airways' ticket and gate agents will be expected to provide concessions worth $122 million towards the airline's goal of $800 million, the airline said Wednesday.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

:shock: Well, I just read the big news on CWA.net and they say the company wants 76 Million from the Customer Service agents at the airport locations. The CWA says thats $25,500 a year per employee. I just calculated my annual pay to be $26,917.80 for the year 2004. I only have 27 years of service with Usairways. Many of my co-workers are senior to me. If the company cuts my pay to $13an hr. and because i'm part time now, because I'm so junior, that means I will make $17,238 per year income. I guess all we can do at this point is PRAY for an early retirement, or buy out from the company. It would be a shame to leave now and not even get a Term Pass after 27 years of loyality. I guess we will all finally know the scoop by Sept. 30th. Good luck to all co-workers out there.

I will make $17,238 per year income
How in the world can anyone expect to live off if $17,238 per year?

Im single, no kids, have a rent payment, a modest car payment and a minor visa payment along with all my other utility bills gas, light... etc. and I couldn't even live off $17,000 a year. Imagine trying to raise a family with a house payment on that kind of money. There's got to be a better way.

Best of luck
CC

US Airways seeks concessions

By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 4, 2004

US Airways wants passenger-service agents to give up $122 million a year in medical benefits, seniority and other unspecified areas as part of its quest for $800 million in cost savings, union officials said Thursday.

Article

Jim

They have got to be kidding...I only made about $25,000 last year...Let me see if I give up $25,000 of that ...I work for......FREE?????

I don't think the company can be serious with that request...I think they just WANT to shut down the airline... :( do another bankruptcy....Sell off part...keep some parts as a new airliine...Mabey a name change like what "Valuejet" did after the crash with the oxygen canisters, and the renamed it "Airtran"...How many Airtran customers know that their airline was once ValueJet ?...

USAIRWAYS knowS that CWA members would "never" ..."never"..."never"... approve anything like that in a vote by the members...

I think they know that...That's what they picked such a random, outrageous amount....

They want to just shut down the airline... and blame it on the union members...Restart the company as a new entity...

As far as I can see, they only ones who can afford to give up any more are the pilots who make the most anyway, besides the management...

And the management are not giving up one dime!!! They want CWA members to pay management's share of concessions...Why are the mgrs & admin staff not talking about helping " their company"?

I don't hear much from the mechanics these days either, so I believe,,there will be some new bankruptcy filing news about the airline very soon, thru the media....

Where is that report that said Mr Lakefield said that it would need to be the pilots to make the biggest concessions, since you can't expect the workers making the least to afford to give up much? I think that was from the DCA pilots meeting, recently...

I will be glad when all this bankruptcy...and threats...and arm twisting is finally over...Morale sucks...It is picked up by the passengers....

Southwest respects its workers....pays more the Usairways...has good morale...makes a profit....Can we learn somthing from that?...

"If it walks like a duck..and talks like a duck...."

The clock is ticking...

We will all survive after this is over....People find new jobs...And there is no shortage of airline seats with all the airlines operating today...The airlines with vision and fairness will survive...

colorado_cowboy said:
How in the world can anyone expect to live off if $17,238 per year?

Im single, no kids, have a rent payment, a modest car payment and a minor visa payment along with all my other utility bills gas, light... etc. and I couldn't even live off $17,000 a year. Imagine trying to raise a family with a house payment on that kind of money. There's got to be a better way.

Best of luck
CC
Wait a second. 17,000 is a part-time salary, let's not get carried away. I understand maybe he was forced into being pt but most people who work pt either do not need a ft paycheck or have a spouse who works etc etc. If one makes 17,000 a yr Pt they could certainly go get another pt job. Let's not get melodramatic. In fact 17.000 a year is not bad for a pt salary. There are many people who make that a year. and work fullltime. I am not defending to company or anything but to say, "How can anyone live on 17,000 a year is misleading.

CWA leadership has not agreed to reopen the workers' contract. Union economists are analyzing the company's cost-cutting data. Labor officials expect to meet again with management in about two weeks.

Does the $122 Million figure include the savings from headcount reductions? I thought it did. I think with the new business model you won't need so much human contact. I know, I know you all believe that I need you, and desparately crave a warm smile at an airport, cause I'm that emotionally needy. How much does that cost?

RowUnderDCA said:
Does the $122 Million figure include the savings from headcount reductions? I thought it did. I think with the new business model you won't need so much human contact. I know, I know you all believe that I need you, and desparately crave a warm smile at an airport, cause I'm that emotionally needy. How much does that cost?
No you really don't need a warm smile but it would be hilarious to see a kiosk try to track down a lost bag, lost palmpilot, lost cell phone, and numerous other articles that are left in the f/c cabin. I am sure management is working on a way to automate these problems too. :p :p

I understand your point. In a perfect world, I'd think that customer service positions, might be fewer but more highly trained, senior and better paid, roaming the airport solving all sorts of problems.

RowUnderDCA said:
I understand your point. In a perfect world, I'd think that customer service positions, might be fewer but more highly trained, senior and better paid, roaming the airport solving all sorts of problems.
Wait...did you just say "Southwest"?

:)

RowUnderDCA said:
How much does that cost?......It cost good customer service and that is the number one reason for repeat business. Without it we may as well close the doors. If we are being compared to the retail business as Reuters said yesterday than it is a mistake to cut more humans and add more machines. Just wait and see.

networking-

That is why I mentioned WN. They have superior customer service with fewer employees. Interesting...

Back