CO backs out of merger, UA/US deal still on?

United, US Airways Holding Merger Talks, People Say

"UAL's standalone plan is not viable," Credit Suisse analyst Daniel McKenzie in New York told investors in a report, citing a projected drop in cash to $1.3 billion by the end of 2009.

See Story

United still keen on consolidation

Continental and United disagree on the carrier's motives for walking away. People familiar with Continental say the company was deterred by what it learned in recent days about United's finances; those close to United's executives argue that their peers never wanted to pursue a merger. Doug Parker, US Airways' chief executive, had no such reservations about United's financial strength, people familiar with his thinking said.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Doug Parker is a very intelligent executive, and, like it or not, ahead of his time. You may disagree with him, but he is not an idiot. Exactly the opposite...
Taking a backseat approach, reading the financial pages of your local paper, watching a little television on the right channels will get you a wider perspective of where this industry is headed.

stop stiring the pot. we don't know what will happen yet. we will cross that bridge once the time comes. all we can do is watch and wait . it's out of our hands .

Heck, I'm just hoping for some Cubbie tickets now and chicago pizza and beefs !!
:up:

Doug Parker is a very intelligent executive, and, like it or not, ahead of his time. You may disagree with him, but he is not an idiot. Exactly the opposite...
Taking a backseat approach, reading the financial pages of your local paper, watching a little television on the right channels will get you a wider perspective of where this industry is headed.

His intelligence is evidenced in the spectacular operation that we run coupled with the fact that the management team HE assembled does an awesome job of ensuring we all have the tools we need to do our job. NOT. He is a good numbers guy, one that makes his stockholders money. Nothing more and nothing less. I venture to say that most would agree with me when I say for him to truly be a great executive, he would need to not only make his stockholders money but also run a good airline. Gordon Bethune is a better example of what a truly intelligent executive is...he got what an airline AND their employees were all about and managed to redeem Continental.

OH god i hope not!!! Can you imagine the make over those idiot's in Tempe would do to the 747 and 777 in order to make an exta buck.....I shudder to think. HMMM extra large biggie cup's for the upper deck. Let's just pay these idiot off out there and try and get some talent on board :lol: :lol:

I agree 100% !! The last thing you want is to have Parker and crew running United. Does anybody remember Peoples Express ? It's worth the Golden Parachute that I'm sure Parker has just to get rid of him. How quickly they forget what Parker has done to USAirways. Just hope he doesn't get himself included in the management of UA.

Does anyone know if United's reservation system would be able to handle the combined airline? Is it a better system than SHARES?

I think UA is still using Apollo, or at least they still were recently. Apparently there is some sort of replacement coming but no one really knows what it is yet :down: Yet another shining example of UA's management planning inaction.

United has multiple flights from each domicile. Some flights are crewed with LHR crews, othes with U.S.-based crews. For example, the afternoon SFO-LHR trip is flown by SFO crews. The evening trip is flown by LHR. Same with FRA. The afternoon FRA is flown with SFO crews as well (747), the evening is flown with FRA crews (777). At UA we mix crews, so it is not uncommon to have a few SFO crewmembers on the evening FRA/LHR flights, likewise LHR/FRA crews on the earlier flights.

I've been taking special leaves of absence since September, but if I recall, LHR goes to a 747 during the summer on the early flight. Just about all FRA/LHR trips are flown with 47/77 A/C. Our alliance with LH is so strong that both FRA trips go out full year round.

A good friend of mine is based at LHR and she's been working LAX trips (a 4-day...48 hr L/O). Most are 3-day trips (read, high-time). SFO-FRA-SFO goes to about 35 years seniority. SFO-PEK and SFO-PVG go to about...well, let's just say that one has to have a walker to hold those trips...

The foreign crews really do elevate the image of United. The London crews deliver a flawless service (many former Pan Amer's). If the merger is consummated and you transfer to our bases and seize our international flying, we respectfully request that you leave your Allegheny Airlines DC-9 Vistajet mentality in Wilkes/Barre... :rolleyes:
LOLLOL..YEN'S WANT A COCTAIL? :lol: :lol:

...and has always neglected the other groups that have involuntarily been forced to deal with the "original US People".

The sooner the old "East" goes away the better.
That was just RUDE. No one from the east side that i'm aware of has ever said some thing like that about west people. I'm ORIGINAL US hire'd in 88 and have graciously accepted my new co worker's from each merger and tried my best to respect the changes thier carreers had taken. You have no class and maybe it would be best if YOU GO AWAY! :down: :down:

That was just RUDE. No one from the east side that i'm aware of has ever said some thing like that about west people. I'm ORIGINAL US hire'd in 88 and have graciously accepted my new co worker's from each merger and tried my best to respect the changes thier carreers had taken. You have no class and maybe it would be best if YOU GO AWAY! :down: :down:
Apparently, you haven't read these boards for a long time or you would NEVER have typed that post. There have been MANY negative posts from both sides and if you haven't read any of the pilots NIC arbitration thread do so before you post that same statement again. By the way, we couldn't care less if you are ORIGINAL US or not. We are all US airlines employees(maybe) and maybe if and when we merge we will all be former US employees. And Bobby, someday someone may say to you, Im original UA! Who cares! Mama

Back