CO backs out of merger, UA/US deal still on?

I like CO's rationale was that the risks outweighed the benefits.

Now THOSE are the people I want to work for... Thhey have consideration for their workforce!

United and US headed by Gordon Bethune could become a powerhouse.

Agreed, I think this was a good thing, only I dislike Parker and would hate to see him at UAL - he's trash... God help us if Shambles gets ahold of the place. What would be great is if Bethune got the reins and they ggobbled up Jblu and Front. and then slashed domestic capacity out of PHL and focus on JFK... Who knows, this is nuts..

I bet United and US will merge and I also highly think that Parker will be in charge...
OH god i hope not!!! Can you imagine the make over those idiot's in Tempe would do to the 747 and 777 in order to make an exta buck.....I shudder to think. HMMM extra large biggie cup's for the upper deck. Let's just pay these idiot off out there and try and get some talent on board :lol: :lol:

United and US headed by Gordon Bethune could become a powerhouse.
Yes it could. The smart thing for US to do is get hitched w/ either US or AA. US can not make it as stand alone...pure and simple. It's a mess and it can only be fixed by the name disappearing and the current mgmt team to disappear as well. CLT, PHL and NorthEast presence brings a GREAT deal to any company. AA would make CLT a mega hub to compete with ATL. I sure hope it happens soon for the sake of the employees and the travelling public.

AA did the samething before to US only to back out and buy TWA. I think they did it here to get CO, see AA and CO might not get approved (to big and overlap issues) but if AA can force a UA/LCC merger by forming an alliance with CO they have effectively bought time to put together a merger with CO. If DAL/NWA and UAL/LCC get approved then the DOJ will approve AA/Co eaiser. I think those guys at AA really have their act together CO too.-Ed

My take on this is that UAL is a sick puppy. Apparently, even with the promise of keeping the CO management, the deal is not doable. UAL has continually lost money, has NO planes on order, has been looking for a merger partner for years. LCC has a rather strong balance sheet after two trips though chapter 11, lots a cash, and, until oil went over $100/barrel was making money.

I really hope that Doug and gang don't screw up a good thing by merging just to have a larger airline. If UAL is as sick as I imagine it is, it would be a horrible mistake.

I really hope that Doug and gang don't screw up a good thing by merging just to have a larger airline.

If only. If only...

I think it's safe to say all the AA'ers can go back to their quiet boards now. StrAAnger things have been known to happen but at this point I think UA is a pretty natural and safe bet. Punch, Punch....put the stapler away. :lol:

My take on this is that UAL is a sick puppy. Apparently, even with the promise of keeping the CO management, the deal is not doable. UAL has continually lost money, has NO planes on order, has been looking for a merger partner for years. LCC has a rather strong balance sheet after two trips though chapter 11, lots a cash, and, until oil went over $100/barrel was making money.

I really hope that Doug and gang don't screw up a good thing by merging just to have a larger airline. If UAL is as sick as I imagine it is, it would be a horrible mistake.

CO must have seen the "real books" at UAL and made a beeline for IAH. They probably think UAL will be in bankruptcy soon and be able to get what they want on the cheap or hope for a UA/US merger and they both go down together.

Ok, here is a thought. And I don't think it's too far fetched either. What if our BOD came out with a letter just like CO's to their employees stating how we are going to stay independent as well but with one big change. We have accepted Doug Parker's resignation and will move Robert Isom into Parker's old position effective immediately. Robert Isom, I'm sure in short order, will appoint his own management team. We still have Bruce Lakefield on the BOD who is brilliant with numbers and financing. We too have lots of strengths that will carry us through high fuel costs and a slow economy....namely a strong balance sheet. What we need route wise we can build on our own. In other words, the billions spent on merging with UA would be better spent on new aircraft and facilities needed to stay independent.

Back