CO to start Charging for Food

It's a real shame. I was a longtime CO top-tier elite and loved the product during the Bethune days. My experiences on UA varied between OK and downright unpleasant. I'll miss CO.

The new CEO of CO stated publicly that he is not convinced that a merger is necessary, nor is he convinced that a merger is not necessary. In either case, CO is not actively pursuing merger at this time.

They have started charging for meals, legroom and baggage check because they are not profitable. CO found that they were losing customers to airlines that charged for these things, but had a slightly lower airfare. (I'm not surprised. It would be typical of passengers to pay $25 to check a bag if it saved them $10 on the airfare. Furthermore, they would refuse to see that they just paid $15 more to go from Point A to Point B.)

The new CEO of CO stated publicly that he is not convinced that a merger is necessary, nor is he convinced that a merger is not necessary. In either case, CO is not actively pursuing merger at this time.

They have started charging for meals, legroom and baggage check because they are not profitable. CO found that they were losing customers to airlines that charged for these things, but had a slightly lower airfare. (I'm not surprised. It would be typical of passengers to pay $25 to check a bag if it saved them $10 on the airfare. Furthermore, they would refuse to see that they just paid $15 more to go from Point A to Point B.)

I am very curious, I hear from a longtime EWR employee, who lived through Bethune and Kellner, said that he went to this thing they have called "around the system" or something so to speak, where the CEO goes to the hubs and talks and takes questions. It seems that he was not well liked and didnt say things the employees wanted to hear. I also heard that he stopped taking questions b/c it got too heated. Looks like change is on the way.

Well, I don't know about that. Any company you go to there are malcontents who wouldn't like JC himself if he were the CEO. I hear from a friend of mine who is a senior f/a based at IAH, that they seem to like the new guy pretty well--not as much as Bethune, but ok.

What I do know about Smisek, the new guy, is that he has stated publicly that he will take neither a salary nor bonus until CO is profitable for an entire year. An airline executive actually earning his pay? What a concept! :unsure:

It's a real shame. I was a longtime CO top-tier elite and loved the product during the Bethune days. My experiences on UA varied between OK and downright unpleasant. I'll miss CO.
They are all the same.... it does not matter whom you fly.... sit back relax.... buy the food pay for your bag... its a freekin bus no matter whom.... greyhound... and btw... it is cheaper...
so don't complain... you could be buying the gas for your car.... which... btw... you can not afford... take a flight... the flying greyhound... enjoy the flight...

Has Continental started charging for inflight meals yet or when will the program be implimented? If the program is underway.......let us know How things are Going. Inquiring minds would like to know. Outside of the whinners who will complain about Anything or the (NY-Palm Beach crowd who expect Everything) the change should not be that big of a deal. CO is a great airline (hate to see it merge) but things do change.

Has Continental started charging for inflight meals yet or when will the program be implimented? If the program is underway.......let us know How things are Going. Inquiring minds would like to know. Outside of the whinners who will complain about Anything or the (NY-Palm Beach crowd who expect Everything) the change should not be that big of a deal. CO is a great airline (hate to see it merge) but things do change.
I was looking at flights for December last night and noticed that the meal notification has been changed to none, even on transcons.

Latest posts

Back