CO/UA Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UAL_TECH

With NW and DL doing the dance, how are we doing?

B) UT

Northwest-Delta deal shifts focus to Continental

Continental, which talked with United Airlines and even American Airlines amid Delta and Northwest's flirtations, is expected by some to follow suit given cost and Wall Street pressures facing carriers. Many analysts believe Continental-United would the next logical pairing.

Kiss me quick, or I'll find another suitor.... :p

B) UT

Find another suiter!? Hell, Glenn Tilton has been trying to turn United into the industry's village bicycle for the past 3 years. Is there anyone he hasn't offered a ride yet? :down:

Tilton has been trying to sell us since BK.. I don't think we have any choice now.. So get used to the mergers or find yourself out on the street with no job.
such as UAL being sold into pieces like Pan AM to Delta... It's time to forgive the pass and just enjoy whatever happens in the future. Maybe it's good for us all now.

Subject: EMPLOYEE BULLETIN No. 3 -- RE CONSOLIDATION
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:53:38 -0500
To:

April 15, 2008

EMPLOYEE BULLETIN No. 3 RE CONSOLIDATION

Dear Co-worker,

You have probably heard that Delta and Northwest Airlines last night announced plans to merge. This merger will change the competitive landscape for Continental and the entire airline industry.

As we’ve said repeatedly for more than a year and a half, our preference has been to remain independent as long as the competitive landscape remained the same. However, the landscape is changing. We will review our strategic alternatives and make sure we remain a strong long-term competitor. As always, our goal is to do what is best for you, our co-workers, and our shareholders, customers and the communities we serve.

One important result of last night’s announcement is that it enables us to redeem the “Golden Share†that Northwest owns in Continental. We will also review our continued participation in the alliance with Northwest, Delta and SkyTeam, as we evaluate what course of action would be in Continental’s best interest. We will communicate any changes that result from that review.

As we consider our alternatives, we want to emphasize that we have great strengths. As you know, Continental is an industry-leading airline noted for our Working Together culture. We have an enviable position in the New York market, along with established hubs in Houston, Cleveland and Guam. Our newly acquired access to Heathrow improves our standing in the trans-Atlantic sector, and we have a comprehensive Latin America network and a growing portfolio of routes to India and Asia, including the major Japan and China markets. Continental has the youngest, most fuel-efficient fleet and best new aircraft order book among the major network carriers. And most importantly, we deliver award-winning service to our customers, thanks to your hard work every day.

The proposed Delta/Northwest transaction is complex, and will be subject to shareholder approvals and a lengthy and rigorous regulatory review process before the transaction can close. During this period -- which will likely take at least six months -- the two airlines must continue to operate at arm’s length as independent companies. Despite last night’s news, and the speculation about our future that it will provoke, we all need to remain focused on what we do best every day: running a clean, safe and reliable airline with the best customer service provided by the best co-workers in the business. As we’ve always done in the past, we’ll keep up our open, honest and direct communication with you as the future unfolds.

As Continental considers its strategic alternatives, we will do what we need to do to continue our success and to protect the future of Continental Airlines in a rapidly changing airline industry.

Thanks for all you do for Continental every day.

Larry / Jeff

Everyone talks about the potential of AA making a bid for NW and spoiling the DL deal, but why can't CO do the same thing?

If this were to happen, I believe it would sail through the regulators in record time. This would be a no brainer for them to approve...and do it before the next administration. If any of the other top 3 tried to merge as a competitive response, they would just be hung up in review after review and hearing after hearing until the new administration comes in. At that time, it would be shot down anyway.

Is it possible?

Everyone talks about the potential of AA making a bid for NW and spoiling the DL deal, but why can't CO do the same thing?

If this were to happen, I believe it would sail through the regulators in record time. This would be a no brainer for them to approve...and do it before the next administration. If any of the other top 3 tried to merge as a competitive response, they would just be hung up in review after review and hearing after hearing until the new administration comes in. At that time, it would be shot down anyway.

Is it possible?
I'm oversimplifying here,but NW owns a "Golden Share" of CAL that prevents CAL from buying another airline unless NWA themselves buy someone else or are bought/merged by another carrier.Since the DL/NW merger announcement,CAL has now been able to redeem the golden share($100.00) and join the path of self destruction each of the big 6 seems hell bent on .

What a f*&^d up industry this is.

Many think USAir and UAL will make announcement Friday April 25 about a merge.

This is a deploy to make everyone think that usair is going to merge with ual.

insider facts..... The merge with CO-UAL will be announced first week of MAY... could be next Friday

so hold out.... meetings are happening now and very discreetly

Many think USAir and UAL will make announcement Friday April 25 about a merge.

This is a deploy to make everyone think that usair is going to merge with ual.

insider facts..... The merge with CO-UAL will be announced first week of MAY... could be next Friday

so hold out.... meetings are happening now and very discreetly
and your info comes from where? Did you mean 'Deploy' or 'Ploy"? This could be as good a read as the DL/NW saga... as the PLOT thickens..... Film @ 11!

and your info comes from where? Did you mean 'Deploy' or 'Ploy"? This could be as good a read as the DL/NW saga... as the PLOT thickens..... Film @ 11!

ok- wait..... i will get the last laugh.. United is not going to merge with USAIR>>>>. CAL-- it's already a done deal.. closed door and soon will be announced. I need not say anymore.. just hold on and tell in me in a few weeks. USAIR it's never going to happen. I have inside facts.. Nothing to discuss here now.

With NW and DL doing the dance, how are we doing?

B) UT

Northwest-Delta deal shifts focus to Continental

Kiss me quick, or I'll find another suitor.... :p

B) UT

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Tech",

I pretty sure, that you would agree(though maybe RELUCTANTLY) that If AA....'is" going to do a .."hook up",....that it WILL be CO, no matter HOW much $$$$ Tilton offers.

AA WINS bidding wars..99% of the time..OR drives UP the price..SO high, that the "opponent" is F***ED either way ! :shock:

"Tech",

I pretty sure, that you would agree(though maybe RELUCTANTLY) that If AA....'is" going to do a .."hook up",....that it WILL be CO, no matter HOW much $$$$ Tilton offers.

AA WINS bidding wars..99% of the time..OR drives UP the price..SO high, that the "opponent" is F***ED either way ! :shock:

Although we lost the Air Canada bid a few years ago.

sorry link doesent work but here is the story :

Continental and United Said to Be Closer to a Merger

By MICHELINE MAYNARD
Published: April 26, 2008
United Airlines and Continental Airlines are getting closer to a merger agreement and would like to wrap up a deal by the end of next week, people with direct knowledge of the discussions said Friday.

EDITED BY MODERATOR: Posting of material from other sources/websites without written permission is prohibited by Terms of Service.

"Tech",

NHBB,

They must be reading your posts and taking your advice...:p
This is all nutty so let us see what happens next :lol:

B) UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back