Colin Powell’s Obama endorsement

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
Why Colin Powell’s Obama endorsement matters

Powell probably doesn’t see eye-to-eye with Obama on everything, but the general is still a leading indicator that the President is a better choice for centrists than “Old Moderate Mitt”— calling Romney’s foreign policy outlook “a moving target” and questioning Romney’s “plan” to cut taxes while also increasing defense spending.

And as a general, after Monday’s foreign policy debate in which Romney glommed onto Obama’s hawkish war policy while simultaneously serving up pageant-worthy platitudes like “we want a peaceful planet,” there really wasn’t much of a choice for Powell between Obama — who reintroduced the “speak softly and carry a big stick” doctrine — and Romney, whose war stance seems to be “speak one notch louder and carry a stick of as-yet-undetermined size.”

Saying that “I’m a Republican of a more moderate mold and that's something of a dying breed, I'm sorry to say,” today’s GOP is becoming unrecognizable to Powell. His brand of Republicanism fits with the “compassionate conservatism” of George H.W. Bush — the President under whom Powell served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

DOH!
B) xUT

Krauthammer said the endorsement would move ten people across the country to vote for Obama.

And Powell isn't a Republican.

Does Obama appear with other fellow Democrats at any campaign stops lately?

(must be a Democrat who is up for re-election, not a retired Dem like Bill Clinton or Ted Strickland)

Personally I enjoy Obama's latest radio commercial which literally states Obama 'will stop giving money to oil companies and give it to college students instead...' ---- I want me an Obamaphone too!!

I have mixed feelings about Powell since he spoke at the UN making the case for Iraq. Having heard him speak before he seemed(s) like a well reasoned and honest man who cares deeply about his profession ad the soldiers he commands. Having said that I have a hard time believing that he was suckered by Bush and his administration into buying into the things he said before the UN. I would like to believe he made every effort to verify the data and did not just take Rumsfeld's and Cheney's word for it that the intel was correct.

I cannot help but feel bad for the man because in my opinion his association with Bush and the Iraq war will forever be a stain on his legacy.

I do not see his endorsement having any effect on the election out come.

Back