"collapse Of Airline Imminent"

mweiss said:
You really believe that? :rolleyes:

Please...there's no point in upper management at US publicly announcing that the company is minutes from collapse. It's a financing house of cards right now, and the last thing you need to do in that position is rock the boat.
[post="237606"][/post]​
i hear ya michael but i was refering to a large group of employees who still hold onto a thread of hope...which is ok...but the reality of the situ keeps getting worse....and that they refuse to acknowlege...big letdown in the making....
slightly better news:

The ATSB probably won't get worried till the collateral gets somewhat lower than what they've already agreed to - $550 million with the Tranche A loan something over $650 million. Without looking it up, I think just the slots at LGA/DCA were valued at over $200 million. Throw in the other non-cash collateral and they have plenty of breathing room to take a "wait and see" attitude.

They're getting daily reports on U's financial condition - something no one else is getting - so they can keep pretty close tabs on what's happening and can act to protect their interests pretty quickly if necessary.

Jim

They're also first in line, so they have less to worry about than the other creditors anyway.

mweiss said:
And that means that he couldn't possibly be right? :huh:
[post="237609"][/post]​

No I did not say that. I said he is a SCAB. You do understand what a SCAB is? :blink: I did not read the article in question thus any comment regarding the article. His article like most is based on his opinions. Right or wrong it is his opinion. Him being a SCAB is a fact, period. And that is what I commented on. B)

My point is that it's rather irrelevant in determining whether or not his statements are accurate. Moreover, who cares if he is? You're not flying with him. You're not having a beer with him. You don't even have to be in the same room with him. So why does it matter in this thread???

mweiss said:
My point is that it's rather irrelevant in determining whether or not his statements are accurate. Moreover, who cares if he is? You're not flying with him. You're not having a beer with him. You don't even have to be in the same room with him. So why does it matter in this thread???
[post="237875"][/post]​

MWEISS,

Well it looks like we are getting off topic. You obviously took my comment about Cordle being a Scab personally. I do not know why. Why is Cordle being a Scab relevant to this thread? Since you asked the question you would not understand if I explained it to you. I’ll leave it at that. Please do not pretend to know me, who I fly with, or who I drink beer with. This is the last I’ll post on this subject. Nothing personal. B)

I didn't take it personally. I don't care who you are, who you fly with, or who you drink beer with.

The topic was an article, in which Mr. Cordle was one of the people projecting the demise of US Airways. Does his refusal to honor a picket line make his projection false? Or are you suggesting that it means he has a conflict of interest in the statements that he's making?

Michael,

You're thinking too much about this. To serious union people, all folks must fall into one of three categories: (1) management; (2) labor; or (3) scabs. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, only that that is how they view the world. And if someone is a scab, nothing more need be said about them.

mweiss said:
I didn't take it personally. I don't care who you are, who you fly with, or who you drink beer with.

The topic was an article, in which Mr. Cordle was one of the people projecting the demise of US Airways. Does his refusal to honor a picket line make his projection false? Or are you suggesting that it means he has a conflict of interest in the statements that he's making?
[post="238032"][/post]​
Well it is relevant that he is a scab that works for UAL.

Why? Because he is trying to spin the blame on the unions for USAIRs difficulties.

That claim is more than absurd. SWA is the most highly unionized carrier yet they are the tops in pay and profits. The difference is in management. The man is question is an anti-union scab who no doubt will be repeated by anti-labor pundits who will cite the fact that he is a pilot for UAL and UALs pilots are ALPA. They will try to spin it off as "here is one of your own, a union brother, and look at what he has to say".

Thats why its relevant.

Um...fine. When the discussion spins off to "here is one of your own, a union brother, and look what he has to say," then we can start talking about who he is without it looking like name-calling.

Besides, his contribution to the article is summed up as follows:
  • the Christmas travel disruptions rattled some creditors
  • a labor strike could kill US Airways immediately
  • a major labor disruption could spook creditors and vendors into demanding immediate payments from US Airways, triggering a financial run on the airline
None of those statements blames the unions for where US is today. All of those statements are accurate. He may well have attempted to spin it in a more anti-union fashion than that when talking to the reporter, but unless one of you is Steve Halvonik, nobody reading this knows the answer.

Bottom line...several IAM members on this board (none of whom have been accused of being anti-union) have suggested that a strike by the mechanics would immediately shut the company down. Naturally, many have also suggested that agreeing to the company's offer wouldn't save it, either, and I'm inclined to agree. But it's not like the mechs around here have said anything different than Cordle.

I have been around usairways a long time and the past 7 years all I heard is that Usairways will be going out of business...

When it happen it will put me out of my misery but I will not bet that usairways will be the first to fall......

Usairways still have lucrative routes ..gates/slots etc....
Some airline fleet is old
Some airlines have too much RJ's and not enough routes for them
etc

Usairways just needs to tread water for another few month

All the dumba$$ CEO and upper management have to do is start giving some good news to spark the public interest and a couple of gimmicks to get the future bookings up again

madders said:
I have been around usairways a long time and the past 7 years all I heard is that Usairways will be going out of business...
Just like TWA.

Usairways still have lucrative routes ..gates/slots etc....
Lucrative, meaning high-revenue? Yes. But what's the point when your unit costs are high enough to negate this advantage? And especially what's the point when the number of these lucrative routes continues to dwindle?

Some airlines have too much RJ's
Yeah, like US.

All the dumba$$ CEO and upper management have to do is start giving some good news to spark the public interest and a couple of gimmicks to get the future bookings up again
[post="238122"][/post]​
Even if they did, it wouldn't be anywhere near enough.

Bob Owens said:
SWA is the most highly unionized carrier yet they are the tops in pay and profits. The difference is in management.
[post="238055"][/post]​
Actually the difference is PRODUCTIVITY. WN gets more from their workers than most any other airline. They only have one fleet type, unlike their competors. That is a big cost advantage right there. Management does play a role in it, but when the unions bully the management into a contract that they hope to afford, the unions need to step up and share the responsibility. Everyone should be working together to find a solution, not pitting one against the other. What happened in the past is history, let it go.

Back