Comair Shutsdown Blames Computers

enilria

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
(CNN) -- Tens of thousands of travelers spent Christmas in an airport, as Comair canceled all of its flights and many US Airways passengers waited to be reunited with their luggage.

Comair, which flies an average of 30,000 people per day, called off all 1,160 daily flights for both Saturday and Sunday. It will resume a limited schedule Monday, Comair spokesman Don Bornhorst said.

The computer system Comair uses to book pilots for flights broke down, he said.

Comair could not pinpoint a reason for the computer crash and could not say why there was no backup system.

Linky

How does this happen???

Comair uses and outdated bid system for crews. It exploded yesterday morning. Crew Scheduling is in the Crew Room as I write trying to manually re-assign crews. There are F/A's and Pilots volunteering for 14+hrs in the day to help answer phones at scheduling. It is a complete mess. Some crews could not get any answers about reassignments on 12-24 and 12-25 and deserted aircraft in outstations, many continuous crews have been stuck in outstations since 12-23 with no extra clothes since they have an average of 5-6hrs on the ground. I volunteered today and they kept telling me to call back in one hr, they have not got to me yet. It really sucks I am stuck in CVG with no car!

Even if Delta Connection carriers operate separately, there is no reason they should be using and supporting their own antiquated systems. Delta should be demanding greater commonality between its carriers, esp. Comair and ASA and Delta. There is no reason for each of these 3 carriers to be supporting their own automation systems of all varieties.

enilria said:
(CNN) -- Tens of thousands of travelers spent Christmas in an airport, as Comair canceled all of its flights and many US Airways passengers waited to be reunited with their luggage.

Comair, which flies an average of 30,000 people per day, called off all 1,160 daily flights for both Saturday and Sunday. It will resume a limited schedule Monday, Comair spokesman Don Bornhorst said.

The computer system Comair uses to book pilots for flights broke down, he said.

Comair could not pinpoint a reason for the computer crash and could not say why there was no backup system.

Linky

How does this happen???
[post="231716"][/post]​

Why doesn't Comair operate on the same system as Delta mainline? It would have to be cheaper, obviously they wouldn't bid for mainline flights. Delta's own system would be better utilized especially if they are owned out right by Delta.

Comair is probably not using Delta's system since they are talking about spinning us off, which is more likely with this meltdown!

Back