combined f/a contract

l8rd8r

Senior
Oct 21, 2005
Hey, I might not be calling it by the right name but what is opt-out of your trip sequence? My take is if you have a scheduled trip and it does a round trip out and in to your base at any time you can call off of the part you don't want or feel like doing. IE: phx-san-phx-san-phx. If I wanted to at AWA I could call of one of those round trips?
What are the rules and restrictions on this? Do you like it? Is it important to keep?

Hey, I might not be calling it by the right name but what is opt-out of your trip sequence? My take is if you have a scheduled trip and it does a round trip out and in to your base at any time you can call off of the part you don't want or feel like doing. IE: phx-san-phx-san-phx. If I wanted to at AWA I could call of one of those round trips?
What are the rules and restrictions on this? Do you like it? Is it important to keep?
Its called Auto's... on the west. The flight attendant must call at 12:00 midnight (AZ time ) to auto out of a turn. It must be done by Irrg Ops. Its nice if you like to auto out of turns. It saves the company money by using a reserve that makes 16 dollars an hour and not a line holder with xx amount of years at 37 an hours. It also helps meet the quote for the reserve. Also the line holder may not drop below 40hrs.

Also, before the "merger" the West negotiated split trip for the new contract. In other words, say you had a SAN Ron with an ATL turn on the last day. If (and that is a BIG IF) that stays in any part of the new contract - you can put that ATL turn on the personal trade board for another f/a to pick it up. You can also auto out of a portion of your trip by faxing that portion to scheduling 24 hours prior to your trip report. To answer your question - yes, this is VERY important to keep.....

Also, before the "merger" the West negotiated split trip for the new contract. In other words, say you had a SAN Ron with an ATL turn on the last day. If (and that is a BIG IF) that stays in any part of the new contract - you can put that ATL turn on the personal trade board for another f/a to pick it up. You can also auto out of a portion of your trip by faxing that portion to scheduling 24 hours prior to your trip report. To answer your question - yes, this is VERY important to keep.....
And RESERVES hate ............and I MEAN... HATE... autos........... When our SOC autos trips they always give it to a reserve is ready to go home/commute/etc. and they get the wonderful calle from CREW SERVICES " YOU HAVE BEEN TAGED For the TUS/LAX/DEN/MEM turn"
:shock:

I agree with you - there is NOTHING worse than being tagged for an auto - but - that being said - if we can keep that portion of the contract where the turn can be placed in personal trades I think you will see a real change. If someone wants to pick up a turn and add to their line guarantee then you will see a lot of those trips go. There are a lot of high credit turns before and after a pairing. It would benefit the reserves to have the "split trip" option for lineholders.

When I am done with my trip, I want to be done. I do not want to call scheduling and ask if I am done.

"It saves the company money by using a reserve that makes 16 dollars an hour and not a line holder with xx amount of years at 37 an hours. It also helps meet the quote for the reserve. Also the line holder may not drop below 40hrs.

Isn't it time to start, at least thinking about, raising the payscale for the reserves? Doesn't anyone else think that a reserve/or junior lineholder making less than $25,000 a year is too low? When AFA negotiates the contract, wouldn't one of the items to negotiate be a more equitable wage for the flight attendants who make less than $25,000 for an entire year, (and that's before taxes)? What percentage of flight attendants make a wage of $25,000 and less? Wouldn't a company that offered 10 billion to buy another company be in a position to have their crew members not qualify for food stamps? Does the AFA feel this is okay as long as the more senior flight attendants make a fair wage? Is it at all possible to raise the lower end of the pay scale without the upper end?
Do senior members, AFA and the company think it's okay for junior flight attendants to work for rent money and collect food money from the government? Does AFA collect the same amount of dues irregardless of vast differences in salary? Are the job qualifications/expectations more of a senior flight attandant than that of a junior flight attendant?

Does AFA realize that the most junior flight attendant has 6+ years with the company?
Three more questions:
1. Are my facts right?
2. Is anyone out there outraged about this? or is the status quo good?
3. What's wrong with my thinking?

and just to jump to one possible answer:
well, don't work for such a low wage. That probably would solve the problem for those making an adequate wage but I would think AFA's goal would be to keep mainline flying and not outsource more of our jobs, and to insure fair pay for fair work.
Thanks for reading my post.

That might not be as bad, if rsv's got a 5-hour min-day. Over at US east the get actual, no min-day. So some get CLT-RDU-CLT for 1.5 hours. It's not worth getting ready, driving to the airport, and flying this. BH's used to say" any oneday". That changed real quick, after seeing these trips. Plus, rsv's at eastf/a's don't break guarantee, so that 1.5 hours comes out of their min. It most likely won't even put you in a different bucket. It is sad. This does need to change.

When I am done with my trip, I want to be done. I do not want to call scheduling and ask if I am done.

Z, can you explain this? AWA or US...Block holder or Res?
Thanks

Z, can you explain this? AWA or US...Block holder or Res?
Thanks

My understanding is that reserves on the West side must be released by crew scheduling before they are officially done with their trip.

On the East, you are done when you get in and enter your rest period. Only exception is if the pilots are contacted in the flight deck with a message to have you call crew scheduling. This has only happened to me once.

So how many times can a reserve be tagged? Over and over until you run out of time or hit legalities?

Last I worked there, yes.

AFA 66 continued to fight for fixing the situation and was making progress when the merger came down and blew it out of the water along with the work done on the to-be-revised contract.

If I recall properly, I had one trip where was tagged a total of three times before release. What started out as a turn (for someone who had auto'd out of the turn) got tagged to an overnight and a return to base, where I was tagged to three legs and an overnight and a return, when I got tagged for a two day and was finally released.

Reserve out west is not fun as far as scheduling goes.

Last I worked there, yes.

AFA 66 continued to fight for fixing the situation and was making progress when the merger came down and blew it out of the water along with the work done on the to-be-revised contract.

If I recall properly, I had one trip where was tagged a total of three times before release. What started out as a turn (for someone who had auto'd out of the turn) got tagged to an overnight and a return to base, where I was tagged to three legs and an overnight and a return, when I got tagged for a two day and was finally released.

Reserve out west is not fun as far as scheduling goes.
So the choices right now are. 1. East system, where you sit and never get yout flight time in on company time, but have the option of giving up your precious 11 days scheduled days off in order to make a decent paycheck, and get called out on 1.5 hour 1 days or 3.5 hour 2 days trips or 2. US west system, where you have to call to get released after a trip and have to do the turns the BH's don't want to do. Boy, for intricate parts of the spoke, they sure treat us like crap. Hopefully, when all the east base change their union officers, we can all get on the same page and fight this together. It would be nice to show the company a fist instead of an open hand

Back