Company Uniforms...

PlayTheOdds

Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Contract and the South
When a customer is confused about where they need to be what is the first thing they look for? Anything that saysâ€￾ NWAâ€￾. There is a problem with this line of thinking because there is very little that says NWA in the sterile area of the terminal. You have dozens of people at any given time in any given area that could help but are never approached by the customer simply because they are not wearing a NWA Uniform. All the employees wear the uniforms of their company. Prospect has their uniforms Mesaba has their uniforms and so on. I cannot go upstairs in the terminal without being approached by a customer with a question even if the customer has to walk past the people that are there to answer the questions. Today I was walking beside two Prospect employees, I am wearing my uniform with my NWA hat and horrendous orange reflective vest. The two Prospect guys are in their uniforms, long sleeve white shirts green vests with tie, hair groomed clean-shaven looking sharp. The customer never even acknowledged they were there they came straight to me with their question. I have no problems answering most questions or directing them where they should go but there are a lot of customers here that do not speak English or speak it so poorly I don't have a clue as to what they are saying. I look around for help and there are two Prospect guys looking right at us, knowing what is going on, then turn and walk off like they never saw us. This has happened a few times now. Most of the time I end up walking them to their gate and point at it and motion them to stay there. Then you have the people that stand under the monitors by the little kiosks lost in space. I have yet to figure out what the hell they are there for. They just stand in that area and talk or stargaze, they don't have a clue as to what is going on around them. Then there is what looks like an information desk by the entrance to the B&C tunnel. I have seen it manned only a handful of times. It is also located off to the side in a corner where it is really non-descript and would be difficult to find even if you were looking for it.

I think if NWA insists on having contract vendors handling duties that require direct contact with the customers they should be required to wear some type of highly visible NWA insignia. Or maybe they should have to wear blue vests with "May I Help You" printed across the back in big bold letters.

It would really be in NWA’s best interest to better serve its customers by placing an information desk in front of the “water featureâ€￾ and man it with multi-lingual NWA Employees. This just might eliminate the dozen or so PA calls for LouMing PingDingDong and party to please get their arses to A-99 because they are delaying the flight or their baggage will be removed from the aircraft, reservations cancelled and a penalty will have to be paid for reservations on the next flight.

I have to ask, Do they really remove the baggage? How do you find a particular bag loaded on a 747 with four hundred people or better on board resulting in probably close to eight hundred bags on the aircraft?

What a laugh! Uniforms are the very least of NWA's problems. NWA's service was quite poor prior to the mechanic lockout/strike and has only gone "off the chart" since then. Parking broken airplanes, financial woes and poor employee morale are REAL problems. As a former NWA biz traveler I can't say that I miss NWA or NWA problems in the least.

Since you're located in DTW I have to point out that the old Detroit Metro Terminal is really nice to use since NWA moved into the new terminal. This year I've been flying AA to/from DTW and the service in/out of the old Detroit Metro Terminal is a snap.

UNIFORMS? GET REAL!

youre right Necrophillias. I hadnt had a good laugh in a while.
At US Express Piedmont, our uniforms for the ramp says US Airways Expess.

I would'nt hold my breath for 'new uniforms', when SCABTAIL gets auctioned off the few airline employees left will probably be wearing another insigna..JMHO!

I have to ask, Do they really remove the baggage? How do you find a particular bag loaded on a 747 with four hundred people or better on board resulting in probably close to eight hundred bags on the aircraft?

As someone who used to be a crew chief on a NRT flight everyday, I can tell you the answer is "yes."

How do you find the bags? When the bag is loaded into a particular LD3 (can), it is scanned. All that data is then uploaded into PARS. When a particular pax doesn't show up, you can pull their baggage data, and find out what can their luggage is in....It never fails that it was the first one you put on the A/C.

Surprised that for someone that works on the ground you don't know that. That would be one of the first things I would ask a worker @ the airport...unless of course they don't talk to scabs. :ph34r:

youre right Necrophillias. I hadnt had a good laugh in a while.
At US Express Piedmont, our uniforms for the ramp says US Airways Expess.

Oh boy! The Allegeny (or Agony)/ Piedmont merger was a bad deal.

Just imagine how many problems are facing "The New Northwest" aka SCABAIRWAYS. Even with so many large problems during daily operations you have a SCAB/6 month employee posting concerns about uniforms. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? LOL

you said the magic word Necrophillis! SCABAIR is what is wrong with the picture along with its scabs!

Even with so many large problems during daily operations you have a SCAB/6 month employee posting concerns about uniforms. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? LOL
Boy you guys really like to twist shet around don't you. The issue here is that although there are people for passengers to ask questions the passengers don't realize that they are there for that purpose simply because nothing designates them being affiliated with Northwest. It is a problem that can cause unnecessary discontent with the passengers that has a very simple solution.

youre a scab maintaince why are you curious about the inside agents wearing a NWA on their shirts? our agents dont have that on their uniforms but yet not one pax has complained, which makes me believe that that is probably not happening at all

Prospect's shortcomings go far beyond the fact that their uniforms say nothing about NW; in fact, that may be the only good thing about their operation.

Boy you guys really like to twist shet around don't you. The issue here is that although there are people for passengers to ask questions the passengers don't realize that they are there for that purpose simply because nothing designates them being affiliated with Northwest. It is a problem that can cause unnecessary discontent with the passengers that has a very simple solution.

Yea, I think thats the least of SCABTAIL's problems! :lol:

Yea, I think thats the least of SCABTAIL's problems! :lol:
Since you guys have all the answers, why is AA steadily falling behind NWA in performance? Here you have a company with its employees bound in solidarity all of them "Real Union Workers" just tickled to death because they are one big happy family. Yet your performance numbers are steadily behind a bunch of lowlife scabs and a bunch of union employees belonging to scab unions. It doesn't appear to me that NWA's problems are near as bad as the problems you guys keep locked in the closet.

Back