Confusing baggage question

chris76

Oct 26, 2011
I have a confusing (at least to me) baggage question. My wife and I are going to be flying from San Jose, CA to São Paulo, Brazil via LAX with AA and Korean respectively. We are planning to take two 32" LCD TV boxes measuring 69" each.

The airlines have different charges for oversized bags. I called American and they told me the "over-the-water" carrier's policies would be in effect (as opposed to the $200/bag fee AA charges.)

I emailed Korean and they told me "If the outbound or return or stopover/continuing journey begins on another airline, you must comply with the baggage restrictions of that airline."

Further confusing the issue, they also sent me a link where it states "Bags exceeding 62inch/158cm(length+width+height) cannot be accepted as a checked bag," but this only applies to tickets issued prior to Oct. 31. For tickets issued after Oct. 31 the fee is $75 per bag. And if I have to "comply with the baggage restrictions" of AA, wouldn't AA's oversized baggage rule (i.e. under 80 inches) apply?

This is a bizarre situation. Also, does an airline consider a ticket as "issued" once the payment is made, or when the boarding pass is actually printed? I tried entering our record locator into AA's site, and it doesn't even show up, however I have confirmation docs with that record locator on them.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this... I'm just trying to avoid any surprises at the airport. I don't want to be stuck there with 2 TVs that can't be checked. Any insights would be appreciated.

I would suggest that you ship the TVs via FedEx or UPS. Or, take them to the AA cargo facility and ship them as cargo--fragile cargo. I would NOT attempt to transport them as luggage. Regardless, of what the "rules" say, you are going to be depending on the counter agent at San Jose. If he/she decides that the tv boxes do not meet the definition of luggage (size/weight more than shape), you will either be stuck with the tvs there or miss your flight to LAX while you argue the regulations. You will, in all likelihood, not win the argument.

Correction: I just looked at the SJC-LAX schedule for November. ALL flights are via American Eagle--i.e., regional jets. The largest a/c used on that route only carries 44 passengers. I'm betting that you will not be allowed to check anything as big as a TV as luggage. You might not even be able to ship them as cargo on AE.

I would suggest that you ship the TVs via FedEx or UPS. Or, take them to the AA cargo facility and ship them as cargo--fragile cargo. I would NOT attempt to transport them as luggage. Regardless, of what the "rules" say, you are going to be depending on the counter agent at San Jose. If he/she decides that the tv boxes do not meet the definition of luggage (size/weight more than shape), you will either be stuck with the tvs there or miss your flight to LAX while you argue the regulations. You will, in all likelihood, not win the argument.

Correction: I just looked at the SJC-LAX schedule for November. ALL flights are via American Eagle--i.e., regional jets. The largest a/c used on that route only carries 44 passengers. I'm betting that you will not be allowed to check anything as big as a TV as luggage. You might not even be able to ship them as cargo on AE.

Thanks for your insights. To be safe, I may have to rebox them (without the stands) into two boxes that are under 62" (which I can do) and carry the stands separately, and bubble-wrap the heck out of them. TV only weights about 20 lbs. The cost of shipping them UPS/Fedex and paying customs charges negates any cost advantage over buying them there. TVs are already purchased as well.

When someone places those boxes flat on the ground and then steps on or tosses something heavy onto them and destroys the flat screen TVs, AA will owe you nothing as AA will not be liable for any damage to those items. Read AA's C of C (it's available on aa.com) and you will see that AA is not liable for any damage to those items unless AA specifically agrees to it.

IMO, you're beyond foolish to ship brand new flat screen TVs as checked luggage. Either ship them via AA Cargo or a commercial shipper like UPS or FedEx or buy them there. As checked luggage, you're practically asking for their destruction and the loss will be yours and not AA's.

Heck, it won't even need to be crushed -- the bag sortation system will probably do enough of a number when they get kicked onto a pier.

I agree with those who suggested you ship it by other means than trying to make it part of your luggage. You are just asking for problems. All airlines will most likely not pay any claims for damaged items such as TV's and etc. Not to mention did you check VOLTAGE requirements for Brazil. In a quick check that I did on google.com Brazil is 120/220 and it states you need a voltage regulator. So this means the TV's might now even work thru voiding the warranty. You better hope you saved the receipt and the place you purchased them allows a FULL RETURN on purchase.

Heck, it won't even need to be crushed -- the bag sortation system will probably do enough of a number when they get kicked onto a pier.
Ironically we loaded a new 50in flatscreen going to Mex yesterday.Our first comments were WTF !
Oversized baggage won't fit in the bag system and are handled separately via over-sized belts and individuals that expedite them

Was it checked as luggage or was it shipped as cargo?
Checked as luggage !
The passenger used an empty soft sided bag with wheels to cart it around .He formed the bag around one corner and bungee corded to hold.
Actually pretty clever.

Back