Crews Commuting To Base For Trips

jetman3133

Dec 28, 2003
Good Day My New Friends at HP!

Well, one problem on this side at US. Many crew members live out of base and commute in to pick up trips. Our biggest problem with this are the international crew mwmbers for PHL. Many commute/Non-Rev to PHL the day of departure, and as many of you already know, ATC/WX problems plague PHL, and guess who is calling in on a cell phone, late for a trip? Yes.....the Captain or the F/O. Which delays hundreds of passengers headed for Europe.

Just wanted to know what the policy or contract issue is with your crew members on this subject.

Thanks, Have a great week, and...lets get this merger moving!!

Rgr the get the moving part going----why pay lawyers just get the arbitrator going and forget Perry Mason---oops this is a commute question.

Need to commute into PHL? Come on over to Southwest Airlines! We're always happy to help out our fellow aviators in search of a ride to work or (even better) home! :D

Current nonstop service to PHL from: BDL, FLL, HOU, JAX, LAS, LAX, MCO, MDW, MHT, OAK,PBI, PHX, PIT, PVD, RDU, and TPA.

I think this is a two-way street with crew scheduling. If you're responsible and call in a few hours before report, I think there's more that can be done than if you burn them with a call at report time.

Of course if the airline decides to run without reserves, then they choose to burn themselves.

luvn737s said:
I think the question went over ol' corl's head.
[post="281867"][/post]​

Nope, it didn't. But thanks for the observation anyway. ;)

They're talking about problems getting to PHL for work and what the crew scheduling policy is for late shows. Isn't the ultimate goal, however, to avoid those situations? I was just making folks aware of additional transportation options that might prevent having to call crew scheduling when the usual commuting options fail.

-- C

corl737 said:
Need to commute into PHL? Come on over to Southwest Airlines! We're always happy to help out our fellow aviators in search of a ride to work or (even better) home! :D

Current nonstop service to PHL from: BDL, FLL, HOU, JAX, LAS, LAX, MCO, MDW, MHT, OAK,PBI, PHX, PIT, PVD, RDU, and TPA.
[post="281730"][/post]​

Put down the coffee and walk away from the keyboard. Carefully, try not to spill the kool-aid.

corl737 said:
Nope, it didn't. But thanks for the observation anyway. ;)

They're talking about problems getting to PHL for work and what the crew scheduling policy is for late shows. Isn't the ultimate goal, however, to avoid those situations? I was just making folks aware of additional transportation options that might prevent having to call crew scheduling when the usual commuting options fail.

-- C
[post="281992"][/post]​

As I read the post, the problem was related to WX/ATC delays into PHL. How does WN avoid those, land at PNE and taxi to PHL? This wouldn't surprise me. :lol:

luvn737s said:
As I read the post, the problem was related to WX/ATC delays into PHL.
[post="282020"][/post]​

Ok, guess we read differing angles. (My post simply offered that in situations where on-line commuting offered only 2 or 3 flights a day, the addition of SWA flights could provide "life lines" enabling someone to get to work through a different method. I'll butt out now and hope the HP/US employees all get to work on time!)

corl737 said:
Ok, guess we read differing angles. (My post simply offered that in situations where on-line commuting offered only 2 or 3 flights a day, the addition of SWA flights could provide "life lines" enabling someone to get to work through a different method. I'll butt out now and hope the HP/US employees all get to work on time!)
[post="282069"][/post]​

Most of us that read your post get your messgae. Southwest's well known hospitality to other airline jumpseaters/pass riders is well known and greatly appreciated.

Anytime you can help out a fellow airline employee ,you should. What goes around comes around.

Thanks to all at Southwest for your hospitality.

corl737 said:

[post="281730"][/post]​
Is'nt OAK..Oakland CA? Since when have you had NONSTOP service to CA?

Latest posts

Back