Cwa, Afa, & Iam Updates

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
Today I reviewed the company’s November 9 proposal to the CWA and discussed its contents at-length with CWA represented employees. The majority of the LGA agents I talked to agree with most of the proposal contents.

The company has agreed to the CWA’s proposal to reduce TOS pay from $20.05 to $18.60 per hour, with a two-year drop in seniority to $16.30 per hour, followed by about $17 per hour next year. This represents a 19% pay cut. The contract duration is until December 31, 2009.

The proposal calls for a Ready Reserve Agent limited to 20 hours per week with no benefits except pass privileges, elimination of double time, work rules changes, a 3% 401(k) match, retiree health care changes similar to ALPA, a sick bank cash out, an early out program, and if a furloughee returns to the company, they will start out at first year wage rates of about $8 per hour.

The early out program has 3 levels: years 1 through 5, 6 through 9, and 10 and above. For 10 years and above employees can receive $15,000 and lifetime travel benefits. In exchange for the buyout the company is seeking to outsource about half of Rez for agents who leave the company.

Separately, I understand the AFA is preparing a counter proposal, which could be provided to management as early as Friday, the IAM-FSA and the company are exchanging proposals, and the IAM-M negotiators and the Company met yesterday and are meeting again today. Of the four unions, the CWA and AFA are close to reaching TA’s.

Meanwhile, it has come to my attention that the company could file its S.1113© motion to set aside AFA, CWA, and IAM contracts on Monday, November 15.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I do not know how A320man would have access to the union proposals, but if that is somewhere near the correct numbers, I think it's something that many agents could accept. Lets hope it is correct.

WestCoastGuy:

A CWA individual let me look at a copy. The CWA is close to a deal and so is the AFA. I understand the IAM-FSA and the company are exchanging a lot of ideas, but are being quiet, which I believe is a good sign.

Regards,

USA320PILOT

It would be good for all groups to be able to reach an agreement that is acceptable to both sides. It can not only be acceptable to one side. Let's hope it happens and brings all sides together and get back to business of running an airline successfully.

Well if the company still throws the same counter back in our faces I can guarantee it will Not pass. Simple! :down:

I also have seen the proposal and considering the other proposals from the company and the financial situation it is really not bad at all. I think the really sticky point is the 3/4 pay for vacation is still there and I think CWA will try to get relief on that. This would be an excellent opportunity for those that really want to leave to be able to walk away positive and with something to show for their years invested. I assure we will do a lot worse if the Judge imposes a new contract from the company!!!

yes but isn't the proposal for LGA CWA (along with PIT/PHL/DCA/BOS/FLL/CLT) different than the proposal for every other station?

The way I read it, those stations were the ones that could have the ready reserves, but otherwise the proposal applies to all stations.

Curious.......How long would one guess after the company's proposal is presented to CWA does it take to ratify(i.e. send out copies and ballots and get results, etc)? In the meantime, will US likely still purge the current contract thru the BK court or will they wait for the results of the voting tally? And how long if after such a MOTION were to be filed does it take to pass thru the BK judge? Days? Weeks?
Thanks.

The company will go to the Judge as early as Monday and ask to impose new contracts. I think the Judge has 14 days to schedule the motion for a hearing before the court. If in the meantime there is a TA with CWA then we would proceed with a vote, etc as normal. If this process was going to run past the schedule court date for hearing then the hearing would proceed and the if the Judge ruled in favor of the company (which you can be assured ) then the imposed contract would be enforced if the CWA vote failed to approve the TA and probably be retroactive to the Judge's ruling.

Sure, the gang at LGA should be Loving it since they would be one of the Very Few Mainline Stations remaining! Another fine example of how to Screw your Union Brothers around the System. Why don't you talk to some people in the Stations on the list to be Expressed? I'm sure your ears will be on fire then 320. Make every station the same with the same pay instead of flushing the rest of the system down the bowl. Productivity in the Mid & Small stations is much higher than the Hubs or Big stations anyway. Every agent be it CWA or IAM do multi-task jobs in the other stations. The IAM-FSA, Load, Clean, Cater,Deice, Pushback, Worh the Bagroom and even Ops in some cases. Stop the Discrimination against these employees already. Then you will be making progress with Morale.

Hadenuff's comments are accurate.

The big CWA company savings is a reduction of force. Many CWA represented employees I talked with today want the "buy out", the company is pushing hard to outsource about 800 Rez jobs (over time), and returning furlouhgees and new hires will come to work at entry level wages. In addition, the Ready Reserve work force starts at about $8 per hour with no benefits.

In regard to the S.1113© motion, the company intends to seek contract abrogation on Monday, November 15, regardless of whether or not there is a TA. Union attorney's would have 14 days to file their responses with the court, although the bankruptcy code permits either the company or a union to seek a 7-day extension for a 21-day repsonse. Then Judge Mitchell has 30 days to decide the case.

Theoretically, following the company filing the motion, it could take up to 51 days before any contract could be terminated or new terms "imposed". During the process the parties could continue to negotiate and if a TA is obtained, there would be time to permit membership ratification prior to court ordered "imposition".

I believe the Court, the Company, and each Union want to see a negotiated agreement.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Thx hadEnuff and A320..one question of mine not addressed..what is the time span between the time the ballots were to go out for a CWA contract vote and the time it is either ratified or shot down? I do not recall from past votes I participated in..was it about a week..or 2..or 3?????

. . .

The company has agreed to the CWA’s proposal to reduce TOS pay from $20.05 to $18.60 per hour, with a two-year drop in seniority to $16.30 per hour, followed by about $17 per hour next year. This represents a 19% pay cut. The contract duration is until December 31, 2009. . .

Wait a sec, excuse my ignorance, but what does TOS stand for ?????

Latest posts

Back