Cwa Meeting 7/28/04

noname

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
PLEASE POST AND DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR CO-WORKERS
Additional stories are on www.cwa.net

CWA Update July 27, 2004
CWA'ers met with management on Tuesday, July 27, to hear their response to our buy-out proposal and our work-at-home proposal, and to hear further details of management's "Transformation Plan."
Present for the company were ECLAT consultant Doug McKeen, VP Res Kerry Carstairs, VP Customer Service Donna Paladini, management from the labor relations, operations, and benefits departments, attorneys and contracted analysts. Present for the union were Local Presidents, CWA analysts, staff and attorneys.
The management's reply to our buyout and work-at-home proposals was disappointing. Our two proposals were carefully designed to save the company millions of dollars, while at the same time providing voluntary options for employees. Both proposals would have required serious alteration of the existing collective bargaining agreement to achieve, but we were willing to make those changes and were confident of approval by the members.
Instead of pursuing a path of mutually negotiating cost-reduction programs, management simply tacked our cost-cutting proposals onto their already existing demand that we cut pay and benefits to the level of America West. CWA'ers stated that we don't consider that bargaining in good faith by any normal labor relations standard.
Here's management's proposal in bullet form. We'll post the entire document at our website as soon as we have it in electronic format.

Management wants to:

Cut pay to America West levels - $12.65 after 10 years, $13.10 after 11 years.
No future pay raises unless based on pre-tax profit margins
Employees recalled from furlough would go to bottom of pay scale ($7.65)
Eliminate all shift premiums, CSD premiums, Customer Contact Premium, etc.
Customer Service Supervisors receive $.61 an hour premium (total $13.71 at top pay)
Contract remains in effect until the year 2012
Eliminate holidays, vacations, sick days and replace with PDO's
Eliminate paid moves for those forced to relocate
Eliminate all double-time overtime rates
Eliminate all retiree medical and dental coverage
Eliminate retiree life insurance
Eliminate our defined contribution retirement plan (currently 4%, 6%, 8% or 10% of pay)
Change 401k match from 2% to 3%
Management "reserves the right to contract out any or all work covered by the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement), if by doing so, the Company is able to accomplish the work more economically"
Increase doctor office visit co-pays
Increase medical insurance deductibles
Reduce lifetime maximums on medical coverage
Increase pharmacy co-pays
Eliminate orthodontia benefit for adults, and reduce it for children
Increase employee dental contributions
Eliminate employer paid life insurance
Management's reply to our early-out proposal is to treat it as an inducement to vote for the contract changes, insuring that a slim majority would take the buyout and stick those that stay on the job with a $13.10 per hour salary. We told management the buyout plan is designed to reduce seniority, thereby reducing costs, thereby eliminating the need for the drastic cuts demanded by management.
Management's lump-sum buyout plan:

Years of Service

5 - 9
10 - 14
15 Plus

Cash
$5000
$10,000
$15,000

Medical
4 Months
8 Months
12 Months

Travel
5 Years
10 Years
Lifetime

Management's reply to work-at-home proposal is essentially, "Fine, we'll take those savings along with everything else we have demanded." In that sense, you could say it was a positive response.
We will continue these discussions and assume that management is trying to reach agreement, and not just marking time until they file another bankruptcy to force changes on the employees without a vote. To be frank about it, we are not entirely convinced of that.
CWA Local Officers and Staff

All of that is totaly UNREAL. I just pray that "the concession stand " will remain closed with the IAM.
Sorry to say for those kind of wages, our jobs are not worth having.
I hope CWA will tell them what to do.

The CWA leaders should have known this would be the type of negotiating from the CO. Question is What made the CWA leadership expect any thing different?

This is just another slap in the face by management!!!!! Anyone that would vote in favor of this has to be insane or in the throes of alzheimers and don't know what they're doing!!!!!

The CWA definately needs to stand side by side with the IAM. Now is the time to show some solidarity!!!!!

REALITY IS, THE COMPANY KNOWS THERE'S LINE OF PEOPLE THAT WILL WORK FOR ANY AIRLINE AT MINIMUM WAGES. LOOK AT EVERY UPSTART LCC AND CHECK THEIR WAGES. US IS LOOKING TO GET RID OF EVERY EMPLOYEE THAT'S TOPPED OUT. I'M CONVINCED THE CEO'S OF DL , AA, CAL, NWAC ARE WATCHING VERY CLOSELY. THIS MAY THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY THE OTHER CARRIES FOLLOW THE LEAD OF US. ONE CAN ONLY HOPE THE CWA WILL MAKE A STAND BEFORE IT GOES TO A VOTE. LIKE THE POST SAID, "I'M NOT CONVINCED THAT WILL HAPPEN."

I would say contact the CWA president Morton Bahr at his DC office and tell him not
to cave in like they have before. His nbr can be found thru Washinton directory
assistance 202-555-1212. If anyone can find his email address that would be a big help.

:lol: NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH!!!!!!! IF THIS GOES TO VOTE I WILL BE AMAZED. BOSTON MARKET PAYS BETTER AND HAS BETTER BENNIES!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

HI FOLKS,

LOOKS LIKE US AIRWAYS MANAGEMENT IS STATUS QUO. NOTHING EVER CHANGES AT OUR COMPANY.

PLEASE POST AND DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR CO-WORKERS
Additional stories are on www.cwa.net

CWA Update July 27, 2004
(Deleted by moderator, the entire thing deleted was in the original post)

Hello Newman said:
I would say contact the CWA president Morton Bahr at his DC office and tell him not
to cave in like they have before. His nbr can be found thru Washinton directory
assistance 202-555-1212. If anyone can find his email address that would be a big help.
JUST SAY NO. I was willing to listen to what they wanted to offer in NEGOTIATIONS, but since there doesnt appear to be any NEGOTIATING going on, I say seeya. I'm not a hardline close the place down kinda guy, but it just keeps getting harder to stay positive around here with this being thrown at you. VS this cr*p, there are now even more places that would pay better (with more benefits) than staying here after 18 years. Anyone want to take a guess as to how long it takes for someone to tell me to move on then? :p

I do have both Rick Braswells and Morton Bahrs email addresses, but dont want to post them here. If anyone from CWA wants them, please email or pm me and I'll send them to you to post at work to have everyone let them know how you feel about the company "proposal". I would also suggest you finding the email for your Local President and letting them hear from you as well.

:down: :shock: :down: :shock: :down:

Am I understanding that the company is offering those agent's with over 15 years $15,000, 12 months of medical, and lifetime flying? The kicker is...You have to vote YES for the buyout, therefore redefining the "Customer Service Agent's" salary down to near poverty levels. I knew the company would use the buyout as a tool to get the weary, burnt-out, "over it" agents out the door. We should not fall under this tempting plan. Vote no. There has to be a better solution. Sure, we could all use the money...but after taxes would there be much left? Lifetime flying? Look at the fares these days. Who needs the headache of nonreving. 12 months of medical? Gone in a minute. I tell you what we need...a decent paying job.

Would this be the Crellin-i-zation of CWA.

If I worked here...I would say "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more"

Strike 3...Take it to the bank..ruptcy court.

The employees have no other choice.

We have some guys here eligible to retire who were waiting for a buyout. Now they have one, BUT, if they take the buyout, there goes their retiree medical/dental benefits. How long is $15000 going to buy those for ya? Everyone better read the proposal REAL good and see just what is going on here. Just because one part of it MIGHT look appealing, doesnt mean thats the way its really going to be.
The only ones I can see saying yes would be those who already have another job lined up, arent of retirement age, and just want the money. For everyone else, I dont see anything of real value here. This is where we would already be too if we didnt have a valid contract in place. :down:

Funny, I never heard anyone mention "a painful clause" for those of us who came to negotiate. I'd hate the see the real painful clause for those who dont. :shock:

The buyout will never happen. The membership will never....never approve what the company is seeking. Might as well go BK round #2. They know it........

What the company is proposing is a absolute slap in the face to all of us. This shows the arragance, greed and lack of any respect for the worker. Of course they want this....the company will make millions and so will they...all on our backs. What a sleazy, crafty bunch of exec's. All the offices at Crystal Palace needs to be fumigated and cleaned out, replaced with respectable, responsible, dedicated leaders. None to be found there now.

Latest posts

Back