D. Martinez's Worth to AA

Jul 14, 2004
I keep hearing Mr. Martinez talk out of both sides of his mouth. On the one hand he states the company and union are working together to resolve issues. Then, the next day I see all these threatening letters signed by him reinforcing company rules and regs. So what has all this cooperation from the TWU done for us? Every person I talk to says the same thing: He is a smart guy with no people skills. Great! Now he's at the helm! He seems to piss off everyone I spoken to about him from all over the country. Is this attitude helping or hurting the industry? I've heard how he speaks to people on the a.m. conference calls: very demeaning. I would hope that his attitude changes, or else the whole company may end up suffering....... :(

How right you are, it's completely unreasonable to remind people that they may face disciplinary action for sleeping on the job, or for time card fraud. In fact it's your god given right to be a lazy cheating a**ehole. So i would reckon that D.M. is doing his job....what about you?

Man of the People

I keep hearing Mr. Martinez talk out of both sides of his mouth. On the one hand he states the company and union are working together to resolve issues. Then, the next day I see all these threatening letters signed by him reinforcing company rules and regs. So what has all this cooperation from the TWU done for us? Every person I talk to says the same thing: He is a smart guy with no people skills. Great! Now he's at the helm! He seems to piss off everyone I spoken to about him from all over the country. Is this attitude helping or hurting the industry? I've heard how he speaks to people on the a.m. conference calls: very demeaning. I would hope that his attitude changes, or else the whole company may end up suffering....... sad.gif

How right you are, it's completely unreasonable to remind people that they may face disciplinary action for sleeping on the job, or for time card fraud. In fact it's your god given right to be a lazy cheating a**ehole. So i would reckon that D.M. is doing his job....what about you?

Without taking a position on the comments about DM ,I will like to ask how Man of the People and NHBB comments, are addressed by you in any way .
Your responce might allow others to characterize you in the same manner and then some.

How good a job is someone doing if they intentionally underman stations and overstock the workload, creating a scenario where it is set up to fail. To me, this is contributing to an unsafe maintenance environment, don't you think? When he does get out to the floor, these issues are brought up to him time and time again, at all stations. I see in his "made for FAA" videos how imperative the aspect of safety is, but his actions are inconsistent at times with his videos. This is reality. Not fiction.

While i can't comment on the manpower levels at the class 1 and 2 stations in the US i think that the workload situation has nothing to do with management and everything to do with the shortsightedness of your unions. In the last year at LHR we have seen ECO's disappear, SIC's disappear and now PS checks have gone the same way. All because the unions want to claw back work to the main bases. Hand in hand with this has come a decrease in MEL clearance rates at the same stations. I don't want to get back to the old arguments about what the unions call outsourcing of work (it's not) but this is a situation of your own creation. With regards to my previous post, i stand by my comments, if you get paid for eight hours work, then surely you should do eight hours work!!!!

Martinez is inherently dishonest and manipulative. Nothing he says can be counted on. He manages from moment to moment. A con man. He has people skills, all right, but he uses them only to promote himself with those above him.

While i can't comment on the manpower levels at the class 1 and 2 stations in the US i think that the workload situation has nothing to do with management and everything to do with the shortsightedness of your unions. In the last year at LHR we have seen ECO's disappear, SIC's disappear and now PS checks have gone the same way. All because the unions want to claw back work to the main bases. Hand in hand with this has come a decrease in MEL clearance rates at the same stations. I don't want to get back to the old arguments about what the unions call outsourcing of work (it's not) but this is a situation of your own creation. With regards to my previous post, i stand by my comments, if you get paid for eight hours work, then surely you should do eight hours work!!!!

Would it be possible to share with the rest of us how exatly did you come to the conclusion that unions are responsible for Eco, sic and ps checks leaving for the main bases?
You might find it interesting that many of those items have left the main bases.There are many cards we used to accomplish at AA, that are not worked any more ,or have had their time intervals changed.
You must be aware that AA (management) has been trying to change the cards, and especially change the times between checks.

As for your previous comments please show how your comments addressed what the other posters wrote.

I think it is clear that nofaultfound is an LHR AMT doing AA work at LHR. His concern with the falloff in ECO, SIC and PS work is strictly due to the reduction in work he is experiencing as a result of more planned maintenance being performed in the US by AA Mechanics.

With the EU proposal for an "Open Skies" agreement with the US being dependant on a relaxation of foreign ownership of US Flag Carriers by the Congress; his concerns may be justified.

After all, many of the EU automakers have brought production to the US and found the quality and productivity to be on par with that found in Europe but at much lower cost levels and far less governmental intrusion.

Couple those competitive advantages with the weakness of US Unions like the TWU and Europeans should probably be worried that passage of rules which create an open skies agreement between the EU and the US could well result in the death of MRO facilities throughout Europe and a large expansion in MRO activity at all levels within the US.

Unfortunately, those of us in the US will continue to see our compensation declining due to weak subserviant Unions like the TWU and weak subserviant individuals like playdecods.

Sounds like upper management to me. ;)
If its good enough for them it is good enough for us
They got rid of Carty but they let the other eight or ten involved slide. :shock:
Be careful us a**ehole follow by example :lol:

The TWU has an obligation to protect as much in-house work as possible. It is refreshing to hear that they are re-directing work back to the U.S. They are fulfilling their requirements as the bargaining agent for the technicians. As far as working the whole shift, not a problem. I agree wholeheartedly. However, when the plane ends up getting grounded due to legitimate write-ups, I do not want to hear people behind the desk threatening us with the movement of work elsewhere. This type of browbeating exists in the workplace today from management, sorry to say. This theory is flawed and hurts the industry.

The TWU has an obligation to protect as much in-house work as possible. It is refreshing to hear that they are re-directing work back to the U.S. They are fulfilling their requirements as the bargaining agent for the technicians. As far as working the whole shift, not a problem. I agree wholeheartedly. However, when the plane ends up getting grounded due to legitimate write-ups, I do not want to hear people behind the desk threatening us with the movement of work elsewhere. This type of browbeating exists in the workplace today from management, sorry to say. This theory is flawed and hurts the industry.
----------------------

The first thing everyone needs to understand is that Maintenance & Engineering follows what Marketing wants to do in regard to city pairs and frequency.

M&E allocates the resources required by the Operations PlAAn.

For M&E to threaten the removal or allocation based on performance of a particular station; they would have to retain the ability to control allocation of a/c. M&E does not determine what a/c RON: Marketing does. Anyone in the game knows how checks are allocated.

As far as the TWU CompAAny Union playing any part in determining the portion of work performed by TWU Members; the Union is the brainchild of American Airlines. All Union Local Presidents are paid by both the CompAAny and the Union and all International Officers are paid by the Union and the CompAAny. Both retain retirement benefits from both the Union and the CompAAny.

International Officers and Local Officers are immune to local recall for non-performance.

International Officers are not elected by a one-for-one vote of the rank and file.

The International retains the right to modify all contracts other than the original to the degree they deem fit.

To argue that the TWU MUST retain the work under which they are contracted belies the point of the rate they must be paid to retain said work. Under the TWU, the entire American Labor Movement has been declining due to the anti-Democratic Practices they follow.

IMHO: the TWU-ATD is nothing other than an extortion raquet sanctioned by the NMB and AA.

Face it, you cant compete with third world labor rates-OURS! Thats right the good old USA is underbidding you guys.

We work so cheaply that its not worthwhile letting you guys do that work anymore. It has nothing to do with the TWU, it has to do with the fact that you guys top out at around $20,000 a year more than we do since you guys didnt take paycuts. I know, its expensive to live in London, well NY isnt cheap either.

Back