Dca Shuttle

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
DCA Shuttle

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Effective Dec. 3, US Airways will move the Washington National Shuttle check-in counter to the upper level, next to the current ticket counter. US Airways will continue to have kiosks available to assist those Shuttle customers who are checking in without baggage.

The space near the security checkpoint currently being used for Shuttle check-in will be removed, to make way for additional security lines. As Washington is transformed into a focus city with additional flights, the additional security lines will minimize delays and allow greater convenience for customers accessing the US Airways terminal. E-mails targeting Shuttle customers will be sent to notify them of the change, and signage will be placed in the Washington airport to direct customers to the new check-in area.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Wow...what a smart move. So they aren't completely brain dead. Those security lines can get brutal!!! At the same time though..it might be kind of smart to keep at least one agent on hand with a terminal to take care of issues that the kiosks can't deal with for some of the airlines best customers!!

I'm shocked. Finally, a logical move from both US and the TSA. Now let's see if the TSA staffs the extra lines. :p

700UW said:
Come February the Shuttle will be ALL Airbus.
[post="203605"][/post]​

I love the mixed signals out of CCY on this score. As an occasional shuttle customer, this makes me happy.

That said, it would be nice (since US clearly is not buying any aircraft anytime soon) to see these birds sent somewhere to take advantage of their longer legs, and leave the shuttle mission to the Boeings. I say that only because:

1. My current laptop battery can outlast a shuttle flight from BOS-DCA (I hate the lack of laptop juice on the Boeing fleet) and

2. As a CP, I figure I'll never see the back of a shuttle flight (which is good, because the 737s are getting really ratty in Y).

I'm wondering if any insiders here have a good source of info for projected wait times at DCA North Pier Security wait times.

TSA has a 'historical' wait list... which lists an average Wednesday midafternoon at an HOUR (not figuring in T-day traffic)!

Travelocity has a system... but I don't know if it's accurate.

When are the merchants at DCA going to pay for a 'take a number' system so people can shop while waiting? Well, I wouldn't but some would.

USA320Pilot said:
As Washington is transformed into a focus city with additional flights
[post="203583"][/post]​

What did it used to be?

Good to see this move though. Security wait times have to be reduced for short-haul flyers, or else more and more passengers will realize the hassle of flying is not worth the extra $$$ to save a bit of time.

Channel 4 just had on a story about wait times at DCA, interviewing some people. I didn't pay attention to it, but they were live from the airport.

Was in DCA yesterday flying out, SECURITY LINES WERE WAY LONG.

They do move ok, took about 20 to 30 minutes to get through.

But they have the most assinine system, the tables should lead right up to the x-ray machine, but they dont, you have to carry the tubs with your shoes and computer to the machine then get your bags since there is a glass wall between the tables and detectors.

Hopefully, they'll fix that with the redo. Of course, DCA terminal was designed before 9-11. It would seem to me that the whole process has become 'deeper' or 'thicker' so they had to move the 'disrobing' 'unpacking' process further out into the terminal to make room for secondary screening. Fixing this problem will make U at DCA much more attractive.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the ever so closely related topic. If I had known, I'd have put this question together with the "DCA Shuttle" topic. Moderator, you have my consent to merge if you see fit to do so.

I'm going with a good attitude about the wait (famously in short supply in Washington) but with an injured knee. I'm just short of a need for a cane. Of course a cane would probably get me through security faster!

Wait times? it's on the TSA website.

Link:http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=09000519800c0909

Travelers & Consumers Printable Version
Travel Tips

Security Checkpoint Wait Times

To assist you in planning for your next trip to the airport, TSA is providing historical wait time information for the security checkpoints at the nation's airports.

This tool, along with information from your airline and airport, will allow you to estimate your arrival time during a particular day and time.

Wait Time Information

Back